What's with people on Craigslist?

Sep 30, 2007
I just listed our sofa and armchair. $100 each. We paid $1500 for these 6 years ago, $1000 for the sofa and $500 for the chair. I listed to sofa as good condition and the chair as really good condition (it looks close to how it did when we bought it).

And someone comes on and says, "I'll give you $50 for the chair. I can get it tonight". Hello?!?! We paid $500 for the oversized chair.

Or am I the one being unrealistic?

In my mind, people that list on craigslist are those looking to unload quickly and negotiate on price. I wouldn't get offended if someone gives you a lowball offer, just don't respond.

And the resale price of something on craigslist isn't necessarily commensurate with its retail value. It just depends on who's looking!

I don't think that's true for my area overall. People sell $5000 sets online all the time. the DC craigslist is always hopping from high end to cheapo stuff.

BTW... I've gotten two other inquiries about the sofa - and people willing to pay full price - I mean come on - I'm asking $100 for a $1000 sofa that still is not date and has a lot of life in it. I'm asking more for the chair since it's like new... But if I sell the sofa, I'll just get rid of the chair cheap to get it out of here.

Someone's already interested in another piece too. YAY!

no i understand your frustration. i ALWAYS get people who respond with, 'i'll send you a bank check and i want you to ship it to me at this address, then deduct a certain amount of money from the check and send me a check BACK' blah blah- i'm like, 'UM DO YOU THINK I'M AN IDIOT?! I KNOW YOU'RE TRYING TO SCAM ME!!!!!!!'

I don't mind the low ball offers so much, but I really hate it when the buyer says they are coming, and then never show up. Ultimately I've gotten rid of most things I've tried to sell.

Yay! I think I have a buyer for BOTH for the price I'm asking... that wasn't too bad (if they show up!) THough I've had pretty good luck. We've bought TONS through craigslist and sold equally well there - mainly things that are too difficult to mail are good on CL for buying/selling.

Yeah, I think the people probably have the garage sale mentality when they are offereing low prices like that. Nothing wrong with it but I can understand your frustration. Congrats on (hopefully) getting your items sold! I haven't used Craigslist yet but I would if necessary. I've been so lucky to post flyers at work when I have furniture or something for sale and I've always been able to sell my items.