What you guys do when you see someone wearing a fake?

I see a lot of 'designer bags' where I work - I used to be hopelessly jealous of all these women with their Louis Vuitton bags. Now I know the difference between real and fake (and that the nearest LV store is a two-hour drive away), I feel better about myself whenever I serve someone with a fake bag. I would never say anything, but I can feel a bit smug whilst they're flashing their fake at me.

Hi there purse lovers! I'm new to the forum, but just had to get in on this one. The only thing that bothers me about fakes is when people have the really obvious ones (a la Canal street) and walk around with an attitude of superiority. I but authentic bags because the quality is nice and I they make me feel good. It's not about being any better than anyone else. I'v actually stopped buying Louis Vuitton altogether though because the fakes (in every line) have become so rampant and the quality (for those who are willing to shell out a couple hundred $ for a fake!) is getting better and better :sad2: It just takes away from the unigueness of the product.

I will think things or say something to my hubby but I don't dare stare or make faces. My friends or sisters will usually ask me if a bag is fake but they wont make a big deal out of it.

All of the fake monogram bags have really turned me off of LV, but I can understand people buying the fakes for little girls to wear--they don't know any better. I am just glad that I can walk down the street with a nice handbag--even if sometimes it is only a Coach.

fashionfrenzy said:
All of the fake monogram bags have really turned me off of LV, but I can understand people buying the fakes for little girls to wear--they don't know any better. I am just glad that I can walk down the street with a nice handbag--even if sometimes it is only a Coach.

In a way, I don't understand people buying fakes for young girls to use. Why not just buy them something inexpensive at Target or those cute Roxy by Quiksilver bags at Pacific Sunwear? Or even the Dooney & Bourke collections geared toward the younger crowd, like the hearts and stars bags. In my opinion, those girls will then get interested in these more expensive brands and when they find out how much the authentic ones cost and cannot afford them, then they might go out and purchase fakes.

Absolutely nothing.

There are more important things in life to worry about than what someone else next to me "has" or "doesn't have". Also, I don't believe in putting other people down or laughing at them behind their backs, even if it is "just to myself." I wouldn't want anyone doing that to me, so I try not to do it to others, especially complete strangers I know nothing about. The only emotion I 'might' feel is emphathy. I understand people like to have 'nice' things, and I understand not everyone can afford a designer handbag. What if that is all that stranger in front of me could afford? A $20 knock-off? Who am I to judge her? I don't know what her financial situation is.

In regards to the controversy about fakes, I agree that the mass population do not KNOW what they are supporting when they buy knock-offs. But maybe they do and just don't care. Who am I to judge those people? In my opnion that's no different than the controversy around diamonds, yet people still buy them, use them, and enjoy them.

allison said:
I will think things or say something to my hubby but I don't dare stare or make faces. My friends or sisters will usually ask me if a bag is fake but they wont make a big deal out of it.
My BF will turn to me and ask me if it's fake or tell me (when it comes to kate spade, he's the expert) that it's fake. If he's not sure, he'd actually walk by them again. It's funny when he does that cause I just don't expect a guy to do that. Then I hiss at him to not do that when he comes back to me with an answer. :lol:

Its none of my business. It goes in the category of commenting on someone bad toupee or poorly tailored clothing. I don't know why they leave the house that way, its not my choice, but its not my business.

I don't like fakes either but what me gets me most are those criminal sellers e.g on ebay who sell fakes for the same amount as for an real one and that they are frauding people who may be saved up for their dream bag. That makes me sick:sick: If I see anybody on the street with a fake I just notice it and I am happy that I've got my real ones. I would never judge people by their cloths, car or any other status symbol. It is the character and their manner that's counts.

I usually say nothing. As a Louis Vuitton lover, I can size up a replica (nice way for saying cheap a**ed fake) in about two and a half seconds. People usually tell me my bag is the genuine article, not that it really matters, I know the deal. If you spot someone in Wal-Mart carrying a fake bag and start snickering about it, then you might be in trouble. Some of these women will "beat the brakes" off of you.

My bag collection in no where near as extensive as some of you guys, but I make sure that what I have is the real thing. I go out of my way to assure this even if I have to scrimp and save and wait. People that buy fakes usually will NEVER be able to afford the real thing. They usually buy them to fool the people who don't know. You'll certainly never see them strolling on Rodeo. When I see a fake, I look at the person carrying it and try to size up their situation. I don't think any less of them, and I certainly don't say a thing. Everyone wants a little piece of luxury in their life but not everyone can afford it so they get what they can. Just be happy that you're fortunate enough to have the real thing and cut the fakies some slack!

In this area there are soooo many people who carry fakes. Some don't have any idea that they are so easily recognized. I saw someone yesterday with an LV multicolor with red LV's on it. The leather (plastic) was some odd brown color that was so obvious.

Funny thing happened to me a few weeks ago. (To give you an example of, how should I say this, uninformed some people here are.
I called one of the libraries here to see if they had the Louis Vuitton: The Birth of Modern Luxury book. The woman who answered asked me "He's a designer or something isn't he?" :blink:

To answer the original question.....I say nothing. I just wonder if the person realizes it very obvious it a fake bag.