What would it take for you to purchase a high-end unknown designer bag?

Versace Girl

Sep 24, 2018
I'm curious since many of us have brand loyalty. What features or details on a handbag would grab enough attention from you to splurge on a luxury bag between $500-$800 from an unknown designer?

Let's just say, you are browsing through the handbag section of your favorite department store and come across a bag collection you've never heard of. What would you like to see from this mystery line?
(Certain type of hardware? Certain colors/features? Certain style that you love? Anything that comes to mind.)

Or maybe you would never spend $500-$800 on an unknown. If so, what's the most you would spend?

Reactions: LuxuryL0ver
I'd only feel safe spending that much if the company has been in business for a very long time, or is the offshoot of a company that has been around for a very long time.
That's a great response. Would you like the company to advertise or show somehow that the manufacturer is the same as an older well known brand you already know?

I agree with the above comment - if the design is unique to the brand / purse, I’d buy it.

But also - Do you mean totally unknown? The last two bags I purchased were semi unknown. I dropped $1,200 on a Victoria Beckham purse because I really liked it and it had all the features I was looking for. Plus I can carry it anywhere and no one is going to know it is a $1,000 purse. And I literally today got a $500 Zadig and Voltaire purse based on little more than the fun design.

I agree with the above comment - if the design is unique to the brand / purse, I’d buy it.

But also - Do you mean totally unknown? The last two bags I purchased were semi unknown. I dropped $1,200 on a Victoria Beckham purse because I really liked it and it had all the features I was looking for. Plus I can carry it anywhere and no one is going to know it is a $1,000 purse. And I literally today got a $500 Zadig and Voltaire purse based on little more than the fun design.
I do mean totally unknown, but if you loved the $500 Zadig based on design, then that shows me that original and thoughtful work can speak for itself and command a good price. Thank you for your help.

I'd do it, but I'd read reviews first. Also, I'd do it if they were really honest about their materials (eg., they use vegetable tanned, aniline, full grain leather). I'd also do it if I really liked the design and it couldn't be found elsewhere. I have a couple of brands like that on my wishlist.
Thank you for replying. Yes, the online community is definitely important and so valuable for any of us to know about a product before buying. I do the same.
I like that you appreciate original work too.

If it is in a department store (Barney’s etc), major fashion shopping website (net a porter etc.), or a trusty fashion boutique (Webster etc.) I will definitely consider, granted it has something original/unique. If it is just a random brand promoted by influencers then it has to be under $300 since that’s the limit for most credit card purchases protection now (used to be $500).

I'm curious since many of us have brand loyalty. What features or details on a handbag would grab enough attention from you to splurge on a luxury bag between $500-$800 from an unknown designer?

Let's just say, you are browsing through the handbag section of your favorite department store and come across a bag collection you've never heard of. What would you like to see from this mystery line?
(Certain type of hardware? Certain colors/features? Certain style that you love? Anything that comes to mind.)

Or maybe you would never spend $500-$800 on an unknown. If so, what's the most you would spend?
I assume you’re doing a market survey for a line of handbags that you’ll be producing?
TBH I don’t think you can find luxury at $500-800, if by that you mean top quality leather, outstanding design and excellent craftsmanship. That kind of work and those materials don’t come cheap. To me brand is less of a consideration than quality. Good luck in your endeavour!

Easily and happy to if I needed a new bag and that bag fitted the bill.

Like looking for a forever partner, for me the priority is quality, then classic fine features and perhaps just a smidgen of effortless charm. Priceless. I don't care what his/her name is.

I would buy such a bag if I thought it was beautiful and useful; if the leather or other material was of great quality; if I knew the maker had ethical manufacturing practices.
Despite carrying a lot of Hermès, I don't need a brand - if the bag is gorgeous and seems worth what it costs, it could be made by Donald Duck and I would consider it.

Reactions: Mariapia