What was your "OH NO!" moment with your handbag?

Feb 12, 2012
I don't wish this on anyone.

Not only did I have a very long and hard day at work, I managed to accidentally dump half-a-cup of old coffee into my open Louis Vuitton NF MM as I was headed out the door! I immediately sponged it up and then cleaned it with a damp rag of many rinses of water. It seems OK but....."Sigh." :crybaby:

I was not happy but did manage to forgive myself, knowing that this was my first LV and it might see harder days than this (I hope not!). I am soooo careful with my bags. I'm sure some gremlins out there were laughing at me despite myself. :greengrin:

So, anyone else? Have you had a "blooper," "oh no" or "otherwise" moment with one of your bags? If so, care to share?

I turned the lining out of one of my Bottega Veneta bags to clean and putz with it, only to have the magnet at the top somehow reverse itself and attach to the opposite magnet. I could not get it apart, even with DH helping. I was, absolutely, completely, 100 percent, hysterical. I had just bought the bag and only carried it like ... three hours. I had visions of hundreds of dollars just flying out the open window.

Luckily, this was a totally freak not-supposed-to-happen thing, and BV repaired it without charge. Even they could not explain how it happened.

Sigh. I have never been so upset about a material good. Well, not since I accidentally threw one of my tech gadgets down the stairs. That did not end up well.

I turned the lining out of one of my Bottega Veneta bags to clean and putz with it, only to have the magnet at the top somehow reverse itself and attach to the opposite magnet. I could not get it apart, even with DH helping. I was, absolutely, completely, 100 percent, hysterical. I had just bought the bag and only carried it like ... three hours. I had visions of hundreds of dollars just flying out the open window.

Luckily, this was a totally freak not-supposed-to-happen thing, and BV repaired it without charge. Even they could not explain how it happened.

Sigh. I have never been so upset about a material good. Well, not since I accidentally threw one of my tech gadgets down the stairs. That did not end up well.

Thanks for sharing your story. Made me smile.

I have too many to count!

* coffee (with milk and sugar) spilled inside not one, not two, but *three* bags -- one incident also took out my favorite (discontinued) Ferragamo wallet

* half a litre of water spilled right into a BV Ball bag that I paid close to $2500 for

* two bags scraped against rough cement walls

I don't get too upset about it. I like bags to look a little "lived in."

The muffin I tried to pinch and placed in my Hermes Bolide from Fresh Choice for a late night snack when traveling. That greasy little thing --despite being wrapped in a napkin -- oozed onto the lambskin lining. It was my lesson--don't pinch a muffin from Fresh Choice!

1. The worst crime. My aunt had kept 3 bequeathed bags for us 3 'girls' of the family in her house only lending them out to us on special occasions because apparently we couldn't be trusted to look after them properly. When she gave the H Kelly to my cousin when she got married, my aunt couldn't hold out on my sis and me any longer and she gave me an H SM. this bag had not seen the light of day since 1971. FIRST thing I did, even before I left the house and on the way to H for a spa was BANG! the poor bag against the door frame leaving :Push: giving the 61 YO bag it's first dent, I wanted to turn back time and start the whole day again. The worst thing of course is that I have my aunts voice in my head telling me "these bags are not play things" every time I look at the dent.

2. Oops! Carried a Paul Smith satchel out for the day and walking across Regent Street (London) one of the two brass bunny rabbit knobs fell off IN THE ROAD. I had to wait until the lights were red or there was a gap in the traffic before searching for my 'rabbit', spring and thingamy-back-screw. Even after repeated dare-devil attempts to find and retrieve the thingamy I never found it. PS had to glue the rabbit to another backplate (they had changed bag maurfacturer) and the 'rabbit' is on my satchel but is no longer operational and I can't use the pocket. All in all, getting the bag fixed at all took 4 months and I missed carrying it all Summer (it's light salmon pink) and had to wait until the following year to use it. Well, at least I didn't get run over chasing after a brass rabbit :rolleyes:

The exact moment I had an open ball point pen that marked the inside suede lining of my new Bottega Veneta bag. I knew when I did it. And I was furious with myself for being so clumsy. The one-inch mark is still there, but I rationalize and say that if this bag were ever stolen, I'd be able to recognize it by the blue pen mark.

I'll add to the horror stories:
1) My first LV (petite bucket bought in Paris), within two weeks of carrying it, my daughter (9 months old) took a blue ballpoint to the interior lining. I cried.
2) Within a month of owning my Burberry, my other daughter dumped a bottle of bubblegum pink (and scented) amoxicillin in the bottom of it. I freaked out!!! Thankfully, the associate on the phone helped me clean it out (amidst my panic attack).
3) Found an amazing vintage LV Summit Drive, and my youngest grabbed the vachetta handle with greasy hands (sounds far worse than the damage sustained), but took me a few minutes of focused breathing to get through it.

Oh the things we panic over!

As fabulous as these handbags are, we must remember we don't get to bring them with us when we pass... Although at the rate my children are going, their shenanigans with my hand bags might cause me to pass!!!

I have scrapped my leather bags up against brick walls numerous times. Usually trying to not bump into someone yet my bag always suffers :sad:

I had just brought home a new leather bag & switched into it quick before leaving to meet up with family - thought I had enough time to paint my nails dark teal before running out the door.

I had enough time to paint my nails but not enough time for them to dry. Grabbed my bag only to have my freshly lacquered nails smudge against the burgundy handles :sad:

Now I can never get my bag mixed up with anyone else's ;)

A few years ago, I had a brand new tie-dye leather LAMB drawstring bag, and an entire water bottle opened up and spilled into it, not only ruining the bag, but soaked my iphone and killed that as well.

I hung my LV Tivoli GM on the back of a restroom door hook. I felt a bit of a sharp edge, but was in a hurry to use the facilities, and so I just hung it on there. When I got my bag off the hook, the sharp edge had cut into my Tivoli's handle a little bit.

Another time, I was crossing the a semi-busy road and sprained my ankle very badly and fell down. My brand new Ferragamo Sofia flew across the pavement as I fell. Luckily, though, the leather was just fine, and the hardware only had a slight scratch. That tumble convinced me that Ferragamo bags are pretty tough.

I took my Longchamp Le Cur out for it's first spin ... a trip to the hairdresser. Someone in the salon dripped hair gel down the front of it. By the time I realized it had soaked it. I took a risk and managed to get it out with a damp cloth.

I drew a long thin blue line (accidentally) across my Celine a few years ago..... no way was that ever coming out and I tried everything.
More recently, the front pocket of my Bal Work got jammed and as I tugged it open, the leather inside the pocket got ripped. Ugh. But at least I am the only one who knows it's there....