What was your first job?

My first job was at 16 working at McDonald's as a cashier!!! I came home smelling of french fries and grease!!!! Yuck!!!! After about a year I then worked for Pathmark supermarket as a cashier! Hated it!!! I'm so glad I'm not young & starting out anymore ... lol. I am a freelance court reporter now and I love it!!!!

Jeanna said:
Or what do you think is the best kind of first job? I'm planning on working for the first time ever this spring or summer, and I need ideas! I know if I work retail, I'll probably spend everything I earn with my employee discount. Is it hard to get a job as like a receptionist/secretary with no experience at age 18?

my first job was at a fast foo restaurant. since then i have gone to scholl and am now a nurse in the neonatal intensive care unit. it's hard but i love working with the premature babies.

may i suggest waitressing because you get paid a base pay and collect tips $$$$$;) too. when i went to school several of my classmates did waitressing and always bragged about how much money they made. good luck

My first job was as a concessionist at a movie theater. Started there when I was 16 and LOVED it! Made a lot of really great friends and had a blast while working (expect for the customers LOL!).

Although it sucked going home smelling like popcorn, it was worth it. Got into the movies for free (I have stacks and stacks of ticket stubs) and got free popcorn and pop on breaks. Nachos and candy, however, were not free :sad: I had nachos on break A LOT and since they weren't free, I got to fill my own tray. I probably shoved 2-3 trays worth into ONE tray...and got TONS of cheese!

The worst part of the job was popping popcorn...that grease is HOT and I got splashed multiple times each time I popped. Filling the ice bins was no picnic either!

My very first job was at Target... soooo boring, I folded clothes all day long. I only lasted a month.

But I would say my real first job was as a hostess/waitress at a popular chain restaurant...I started when I was 17 and I'm just now leaving there at age 22.

Starbucks, didn't care for it much at the time but looking back ten years later it really wasn't so bad. For one I picked up coffee skills which still come in handy to bowl people over (because there is no Starbucks in this country and it is not very known, I get to play the caramel machiatto genius :supacool:)

My first job was a customer service assistant at Marshall's. Loved my friends there, hated the customers. There was one lady who would always buy grocery cart fulls of clothes and ALWAYS return them, like 50 pieces at a time. One time, I remember a lady yelling at me for me being "slow" and she threw a cup at me! Funny thing is, my manager told me I was the quickest and most efficient worker there..

My first job was as a waitress at a local family restaurant....

him2087_125.gif

I lasted all of 2 weeks.

worked in my parents' store (cashier) - extremely boring but i got to read A LOT. i didn't get paid but they *did* pay for all of my schooling :heart:

i did a few workstudy jobs while in college - those sucked except for working at a museum. being surrounded by beautiful art and seeing different people come in every day and being very close to the delicious museum cafe and being able to do my homework? and getting paid? YAY

i'm at my first job out of college and i'm bored out of my mind. definitely going back to school next year, and for extra money i will try tending bar for the TIPS

My first Job was to promote milk and ice cream for a local dairy company :smile: definitely didn't last long, but I didn't care...at 16 it was great making money on my own and getting credit at school for it.

Call Centers would probably work for a first job with no admin experience. There's room for advancements and you learn many things about customer service and computers which will help prepare you for other jobs..or maybe advance at the call center. Good Luck and Best wishes...

My first job was tutoring an elementary school kid while I was in high school for a couple of months. He was so cute - he always tried to get out of tutoring by trying to fix me snacks!! :roflmfao: