What to buy for a new born?

I received a small clothes hamper filled with diapers and it was something I never would have thought to buy. My daughter is 8 and she still has that hamper in her bathroom!

Whenever a relative or a close friend has a baby, my mom gives them a set of Beatrix Potter book

That's the sort of thing I would get as well, something to keep enjoy for years to come:smile: If you buy clothes, I think you should get size 12 or 18 months, time will fly and it's great to have something to put by for later (everybody buys newborn size, the baby will have plenty of that)

The other thing is, everybody buys for the baby, sometimes is nice to walk in with a bottle of champagne and a spa voucher (God knows, she's gonna need that when the screaming starts...;))

I'd go with the gift card also and maybe a blanket. The blanket will work for a long time, but with the gift card, the mom will be able to pick out the sizes she needs for her baby.

I am due in June & I made a list of everything that I would like & am planning to get for the baby myself & then if people ask me what I want I just show them the list.

One thing I'm surpirsed no one has mentioned yet is a really nice photo album to put the baby pics in. Smythson have some fabulous ones, which I know are waaaaaaay above your $50, but I'm sure you can find something similar, but cheaper. what I really like about the Smythson ones though is that you can have it embossed with the baby's name to personalise it.

Also, can I suggest something in cashmere, like a nice cardigan, or a blanket, or even a cashmere tddy, something that the baby can keep for years to come?

Oh something else I just thought about

a nursing pillow - they are sort of half moon shape and before I had my child I was laughing at them but in hospital they recommended one and now I don't know how i would have managed without one! I leave my baby to sleep between so there is some sort of comfort zone and barrier. (if he doesn't sleep in his bed....)

Blue Dotties : Boppy Nursing and Infant Support Pillows, Play Mats and Activity Gyms

I love this one and just within your price range (obviously if it is for a girl choose another colour?) BTW, I think kids will love it later when they get older, plus nursing is hard in the beginning for a first time mum, so anything that helps!

I would not give alcohol if she is planning to BF.

After having four myself, I can tell you that the most appreciated gifts are gift certificates (like to Target, Old Navy,etc.) and offers for FREE babysitting time. Maybe you can watch the baby so she could get groceries or go to a movie, etc.

I got at least 25 blankets before/after my daughter was born. I wound up giving most of them to Goodwill.

Like a pp mentioned a boppy pillow is a good idea too, I forgot about that.

i usually buy larger size clothes (6-9 or 9-12 months), a gift certificate from a mall picture place (everyone gets portraits eventually and they're spendy) or a "sick baby kit"

she'll end up with tons of small clothes, but not very many for when he's actually getting into things and still having to change clothes multiple times a day.

in a sick baby kit i usually get one of those ear thermometers and some baby tylenol. you could also add teething tablets, diaper rash cream, one a nose sucker things, nail clippers, etc.

i also usually buy something something just for mom: nice lotion set, travel candles, favorite chocolates, trashy gossip mags, massage....just depends on how well i know mom.

you could say i go to a lot of baby showers. :smile:

Burp cloths are something my friend needed a lot of. She gave away so many of the onesies, blankets, etc. that she never got to use and felt really badly about it. She did stress that wipes are something that will always come in handy. A boppy was really useful, too, as was the bouncy chair and swing (even though it needed D batteries).

Actually, if anything you buy is battery operated, please make sure to include a supply of batteries!

One of the cutest things I've ever seen at a baby shower was a "clothesline." One of my sister's friends bought a complete outfit, shirt, pants, onesie and a pair of socks. She the took a length of sisal rope, and attached all the clothes on the rope like a clothesline(she tied knots in the rope to keep the pins from slipping). It was absolutely adorable! I think that would be a great addition to your gift bag. Congratulations to your friend.

Gift cards are a great idea and if you are getting clothing, I would get them in a older size other than newborn because I found when I was pregnant most people gave me newborn sizes (which I too had bought) and not many for later and then there's the BUMBO baby seat which I found invaluable, I used one from when she could hold her neck up which was 3 months old till she was 10 months old and she loved it. I even took it overseas and to restaurants! They are available online as well as in Target I believe and come in a variety of colours.