what requirements do i need to work at sephora?

luna_nextic

Mar 29, 2010
ok so i send my resume to my local sephora and they called me for an interview
well that would be my dream job. the thing is that i dont know alot about make up, just like the basic, what i use and stuff.
i would really love to get the job but does someone of u know what do they ask on the interview i want to go prepared. do i need to be a make up expert?
omg in really nervous ...

i wish u guys can help me.
thanks

mcb100

O.G.
Jan 8, 2007
Nowhere out of ordinary.
i think that you should have general knowledge of makeup, and the different brands. you should know how to apply it to someone else's face if you have to, I mean, I know a lot of SA's at the Sephora do that and help people especially things where its hard to find a match like foundation & powder.

But I don't think you need to be a genuis or anything about makeup......if you worked at a makeup counter you'd definitely need to know a lot of that stuff, but probably not at Sephora.

Jan 19, 2008
UK
Hey,

I'm in the UK so I don't know about Sephora specifically, but I know that over here quite often there aren't any specific requirements to work on Cosmetics counters.
A friend of mine went for an interview for one, and was just asked a bit about different brands and what they thought of them/what they're specialities or target markets were, do they like to keep up to date on latest products etc and how, what are their favourite products and why...

I definitely wouldn't say you need to be a make-up expert but I think having a genuine interest in make up and products would definitely help!

Good luck with your interview!!

DC-Cutie

O.G.
Oct 19, 2006
in the store....
honestly, I don't think you need to know much. This just based off of my visits to Sephora, where I feel like I know more about products than the sales associates...

gnourtmat

Jan 5, 2008
none. based on my visits there, they know as much as i do, or maybe even less. you also do not have to be an expert. i asked one associate how to put on eyeliner and she did not know how.

Jan 19, 2008
UK
^^ITA. Just to add, when I was in NY, I went to Sephora and one of the SA's wanted to demonstrate some smokey eye thing on me...when she had finished I literally looked HIDEOUS!! I could see people walking past as she was doing it looking like wtf?! I had to pretend to like it then sneak off to wipe it without her seeing...There was no way she'd had training on it or anything!

Dec 19, 2008
I know a girl that works at Sephora. She has no make up experience, but only retail. She still got hired.

gnourtmat

Jan 5, 2008
i'm going to have to take a spy pic of the associates at the sephora i go to! i think during the day they get really bored so they start putting on whatever... this one woman there has a new hair color each week and she wears different headpieces? to each his own... but not at work! that is very unprofessional!