What perfume are you buying next?

I keep going back and forth about adding a bottle of Delina Exclusif. I feel like I want it for the hype. It’s lovely, just not sure why I keep thinking about it as it’s not mind blowing for me.
Sometimes we get caught up in the hype. I've bought perfumes (blind purchases) in the past, based on hype. If you're unsure about a fragrance, a good option is to just keep buying samples or decants and using them up until you're sure either way. I've found this helpful, and it has stopped me from buying a bottle or two that I might otherwise have purchased.

I keep going back and forth about adding a bottle of Delina Exclusif. I feel like I want it for the hype. It’s lovely, just not sure why I keep thinking about it as it’s not mind blowing for me.
@Purses & Perfumes has given amazing advice already, but I'll add that you are better off ignoring all the talk around a brand/product to make the correct decision. We live in an age where there's a lot! A lot of product releases (bags, fragrances, clothes, you name it). A lot of hype and a lot of FOMO. It makes it difficult to choose mindfully because we're bombarded by outside opinions.

Silence the hype. Just ask yourself: do I want to smell like this all day? In the end, that is all that matters. You have that scent on your skin and you have to want to smell like that and/or feel uplifted by smelling it on yourself. :smile:

Last edited:
Parfums de Marly fragrances are basically synthetic trash. Remember that the hype those perfumes get is due to the fact that they heavily court the perfume influencer crowd. They give out tons of freebies to those people, so of course those people are going to rave over and over again about that brand, which causes tons of people to flock to the brand and also exclaim how great the perfumes are so that they don't look out of step with the crowd.

The online fragrance community is a very good example of how The Emperor's New Clothes takes place in real life. (They're not the only offender by far, though.)

It's hilariously pathetic and sad how people are willing to shell out for those PdMs, as they're more expensive than much, much superior perfumes from houses like Dior, Louis Vuitton, and Chanel. Hell, Dior's exclusive line comes in bottles that are almost twice the size of the PdMs, but the Diors cost less AND are way, way better. (Dior is $310 for 125ml whereas PdM is 75ml for $300+.) Chanel's exclusive line comes in the same 75ml size and is sometimes OVER $100 less expensive depending on the PdM. Most of the Louis Vuittons come in 100ml bottles for $280.

I just don't understand why anyone would throw their money away on PdM.

Last edited:
Parfums de Marly fragrances are basically synthetic trash. Remember that the hype those perfumes get is due to the fact that they heavily court the perfume influencer crowd. They give out tons of freebies to those people, so of course those people are going to rave over and over again about that brand, which causes tons of people to flock to the brand and also exclaim how great the perfumes are so that they don't look out of step with the crowd.

The online fragrance community is a very good example of how The Emperor's New Clothes takes place in real life. (They're not the only offender by far, though.)

It's hilariously pathetic and sad how people are willing to shell out for those PdMs, as they're more expensive than much, much superior perfumes from houses like Dior, Louis Vuitton, and Chanel. Hell, Dior's exclusive line comes in bottles that are almost twice the size of the PdMs, but the Diors cost less AND are way, way better. (Dior is $310 for 125ml whereas PdM is 75ml for $300+.) Chanel's exclusive line comes in the same 75ml size and is sometimes OVER $100 less expensive depending on the PdM. Most of the Louis Vuittons come in 100ml bottles for $280.

I just don't understand why anyone would throw their money away on PdM.
Interesting. Can you tell me more about why you think they’re trash? Are you saying the ingredients are poor quality? Or that the perfumes themselves are bad?

Reactions: GraffS
Interesting. Can you tell me more about why you think they’re trash? Are you saying the ingredients are poor quality? Or that the perfumes themselves are bad?
Many of their perfumes are just takes on already existing perfumes, and they are amped up with very harsh synthetics* in the base to make them long lasting (and, in many cases, LOUD as hell). I find them more brash than artful. They are extremely overpriced for what they are. A lot of perfume collectors willingly admit those things, but since they can also be easily found at discounters--often for less than $200 and yes they are authentic and have not gone bad--they find it is easier for them to justify buying them for their collections.

*Note: I do not think the use of synthetics is bad in perfumery. Not at all. Everybody is doing it. Hell, some brands are all about using synthetics, including some of my favorites. I just don't like it when the fragrances start to smell less like a natural fragrance and more like chemicals in a lab. A lot of that comes down to nose and experience, though, and those are different for everybody.

Last edited:
Regarding Delina Exclusif, I am not familiar with the fragrance. However, Wendi's Parade of Perfumes on YouTube discusses her reasons for disliking it in a perfume video titled "Six loves vs six hates", that you might find interesting to listen to, @nycmamaofone. If I knew how to post the video here I would. If someone else knows how to do it, and wants to post it, please do so. In the meantime, you can find her by typing Wendi's Parade of Perfumes in the search bar on YouTube. She discusses Delina Exclusif around halfway through the video.
Her channel is small, but I enjoy watching her occasionally because she doesn't follow the herd when it comes to talking about perfumes and expresses her sincere opinion. No affiliation at all.

Regarding Delina Exclusif, I am not familiar with the fragrance. However, Wendi's Parade of Perfumes on YouTube discusses her reasons for disliking it in a perfume video titled "Six loves vs six hates", that you might find interesting to listen to, @nycmamaofone. If I knew how to post the video here I would. If someone else knows how to do it, and wants to post it, please do so. In the meantime, you can find her by typing Wendi's Parade of Perfumes in the search bar on YouTube. She discusses Delina Exclusif around halfway through the video.
Her channel is small, but I enjoy watching her occasionally because she doesn't follow the herd when it comes to talking about perfumes and expresses her sincere opinion. No affiliation at all.
Thank you! I’ll check it out.

Reactions: Purses & Perfumes
Just picked up a 100ml bottle of this classic from Annick Menardo (also behind Le Labo's Patchouli 24 and Gaiac 10, YSL's Body Kouros, Bvlgari's Black, Armani's Acqua di Gio and Ikat Rouge, Guerlain's Bois d'Armenie, and Dior's Bois d'Argent and Hypnotic Poison, among many others) for $15.95 including shipping.

If I had bought it at Bloomingdales rather than a discounter, I would have paid $130 plus tax.

375x500.64096.jpg

Like, I definitely don't need another bottle right now since my sister is going to bring me something from Paris pretty soon, but I can't say no to that price.

Last edited:
I think it would be a Henri Jaques scent and something else from Paris.
We were planning to visit the Amouage factory during our trip in Oman. But our itinerary had been changed 3-4 times, WK football, Christmas party, plane tickets, short days ( you don't drive in the mountains as it gets dark) and in the end the Amouage factory didn't fix our busy schedule. I had a deal with DH I would go to Paris to the HJ boutique instead of visiting the Amouage factory. I bought a ticket to Paris.
But pigs can fly. We managed to visit the Amouage factory and I have a ticket to Paris.

• Love
Reactions: JenJBS
I had the opportunity to buy Christian Dior Eau Noire last July while I was in Paris, but I knew it was also getting a re-release. The SAs at the Dior boutique didn't know if the re-release would be global or if it would be available individually or only in their limited edition box of three (with Cologne Blanche, the only Dior exclusive that had actually been discontinued and not just made exclusive to Paris, and Bois d'Argent). They also didn't know what sizes it'd be available in if it was made available outside the limited edition box. I had been wanting Eau Noire for a very long time--it's really unique--but one thing that had kept me from buying it was the fact that it was only available in 250ml, which is A LOT given that it's not really the easiest wear. There was also the matter that it was only available in Paris--at least, at the time.

Anyway, I took a gamble and waited, instead buying Leather Oud, which I was sad to have never picked up before it was made exclusive to Paris. The gamble paid off. Not only was Eau Noire made available globally, but it was even made available in the States in the hard-to-get 40ml size. They're still saying it's a limited edition, though, so I figured it would not be a good idea to wait too long to snatch a 40ml for myself.

375x500.1378.jpg

I had the opportunity to buy Christian Dior Eau Noire last July while I was in Paris, but I knew it was also getting a re-release. The SAs at the Dior boutique didn't know if the re-release would be global or if it would be available individually or only in their limited edition box of three (with Cologne Blanche, the only Dior exclusive that had actually been discontinued and not just made exclusive to Paris, and Bois d'Argent). They also didn't know what sizes it'd be available in if it was made available outside the limited edition box. I had been wanting Eau Noire for a very long time--it's really unique--but one thing that had kept me from buying it was the fact that it was only available in 250ml, which is A LOT given that it's not really the easiest wear. There was also the matter that it was only available in Paris--at least, at the time.

Anyway, I took a gamble and waited, instead buying Leather Oud, which I was sad to have never picked up before it was made exclusive to Paris. The gamble paid off. Not only was Eau Noire made available globally, but it was even made available in the States in the hard-to-get 40ml size. They're still saying it's a limited edition, though, so I figured it would not be a good idea to wait too long to snatch a 40ml for myself.

375x500.1378.jpg
Glad to hear it worked out for you!

Reactions: ultravisitor