What Makes A Designer Handbag Designer?

Yes, I think so. She's a real person who designs purses, shoes, etc... I don't think price has anything to do with it. I have a hard time with Coach and D&B due to the anonymity of their designers. Though I do like quite a bit of COACH's stuff.

Saks.com has seperate designations for "Designers" and "Premium Designers." Kate Spade falls into the former category, while MJ, Gucci etc. are in the latter.

I think it's kind of snobbish to make the differentiation by price alone. Kate Spade has their line of nylon bags, and so does Prada. But Prada charges more for theirs. So that puts Prada in a higher category in terms of design?

Kate Spade's leather is really nice, I think. And she does have a more upscale collection called Collect which features bags in more exotic or pricey materials etc.

Her bags are hit or miss, but I love her small accessories, and I don't think she's going away any time soon.

I believe overall quality and craftsmanship plays a huge role. Yes they have a famous name attached (and sometimes it feels like youre paying more for the name than the bag), but designer bags have a great deal more quality in their making than your average bag. They are made from wonderful material and last a long time.

i love KS and own 10 bags. no matter what other people say i like her bags and will continue to buy them.

and yes... she is a designer and is part of my top designers list. (this is my opinion).

cheers all! :flowers:

The Neiman Marcus Group owns 56% of Kate Spade, so that is probably why N-M carries the brand. Saks carries a few of her shoes but no handbags. Kate Spade IMHO is light years behind LV, Chanel, YSL, etc. in reputation as a designer label. It is more in the league of Coach in that they are sold in department stores but don't have their own staff, etc. And they are sold in middle America.

I think when Kate Spade first came out it was a big deal to have one of her bags but for me it just doesn't have the cache it used it ... and I have a lot of Kate Spade bags, partly because the price is very reasonable and also because it is the only halfway decent line sold in my town.

If I want something "better" I have to order it from the label's store or online, etc.

I think it's really interesting how we choose to use the term "low end designer." When I think of low end, I think of Nine West of no-name bags from Mervyn's. Definitely not a $500 Kate Spade bag or a Coach bag. I think those are definitely "bridge" lines or mid-level.

Uhh... yeah. Right with you. Gap is low end. Kenneth Cole is low end. Coach...ehhh middle of the road for me. Dooney... middle of the road. But low end...nah. I'm not seeing it.:shrugs::smile:

I just sold my large collection of 25 Kate Spade bags...I also had the complete line of turquoise leather accessories. I love her bags for their classic style (like the SAM...perfect for a snowy Canadian day) but recently I find her designs so-so.

I bought my first LV a few months ago and am now hooked and sold my bags to support that. I did keep however a really rare KS hybiscus bucket that people stop to ask me about all the time and three SAM's.

When I sold everything on ebay I had tons of bidders so I know her designs are still popular. Certainly not of the $ level and prestige of LV but still beautiful (All my bedding is also KS and it is incredible!!!).