What kind of pen is in your handbag?

Hi Inkfade! I missed this response and am happy to see it now so I can check out your youtube. :smile: Thank you!

I'm sorry to hear that Pelikan nibs are so hit or miss. Thankfully my few (all steel) nibs have been wonderful. They are all medium, my smoothest writers, and when writing with Pelikan 4001 inks they are especially buttery writers! Your preference for finer nibs makes sense, and I think that if I hadn't started enjoying medium nibs, I might find Pelikan too broad too. All of my nibs are steel; so I don't have gold nibs to compare them too. I like TWSBI Eco and Lamy for their fun colors, a little Kaweco Sport when I need a portable pen, but nothing writes as wonderfully as Pelikan for me.

The Ohto rollerball refill sounds like a beautiful color! I love blue inks. I will check that color out if it works in any of my pens. Since it has been a while, I would appreciate hearing your pen thought updates. I haven't explored any new ones recently. Happy writing!

Hey! I had a rollercoaster of a 2023 regarding my fountain pen hobby lol. In January of last year I went through a painful break up and kind of just lost interest in all my hobbies, including fountain pens. I ended up steering more towards nice ballpoints and rollerballs in the months after that for journaling and taking notes. Got some Faber-Castell Loom rollerballs and ballpoints, and a Pelikan k605 Tortoiseshell Black ballpoint, which has become my favorite pen. Also picked up a Kaweco Original ballpoint, which I really like, too. I use Uni-Ball JetStream ballpoint refills in them, they're sooo nice to write with!

I ended up keeping my Pelikan m205 Amethyst, and added a Pelikan m605 Tortoiseshell Black before 2023. I replaced the nibs on those pens with fine steel nibs from Ferris Wheel Press' Carousel fountain pens, which made them a lot more usable to me. I've whittled down my fountain pen collection to ten now, though, and have pretty much sold off all my other pens, notebooks, inks, etc. Only have kept a handful of notebooks (for journaling, etc.) and a small amount of inks.

Here's my current fountain pen collection:

image_123650291.JPG

L to R: vintage Parker 51 (plum), vintage Sheaffer Sentinel Snorkel, Faber-Castell Loom x 2, Sailor Pro Gear Angel's Delight, Pelikan m605 Tortoiseshell Black, Pelikan m205 Amethyst, Delta Unica, Franklin-Christoph Model 20, and Lamy Safari x Itoya SE.

How's your pens changed since? Any new additions? :smile:

Hey! I had a rollercoaster of a 2023 regarding my fountain pen hobby lol. In January of last year I went through a painful break up and kind of just lost interest in all my hobbies, including fountain pens. I ended up steering more towards nice ballpoints and rollerballs in the months after that for journaling and taking notes. Got some Faber-Castell Loom rollerballs and ballpoints, and a Pelikan k605 Tortoiseshell Black ballpoint, which has become my favorite pen. Also picked up a Kaweco Original ballpoint, which I really like, too. I use Uni-Ball JetStream ballpoint refills in them, they're sooo nice to write with!

I ended up keeping my Pelikan m205 Amethyst, and added a Pelikan m605 Tortoiseshell Black before 2023. I replaced the nibs on those pens with fine steel nibs from Ferris Wheel Press' Carousel fountain pens, which made them a lot more usable to me. I've whittled down my fountain pen collection to ten now, though, and have pretty much sold off all my other pens, notebooks, inks, etc. Only have kept a handful of notebooks (for journaling, etc.) and a small amount of inks.

Here's my current fountain pen collection:

View attachment 5938574

L to R: vintage Parker 51 (plum), vintage Sheaffer Sentinel Snorkel, Faber-Castell Loom x 2, Sailor Pro Gear Angel's Delight, Pelikan m605 Tortoiseshell Black, Pelikan m205 Amethyst, Delta Unica, Franklin-Christoph Model 20, and Lamy Safari x Itoya SE.

How's your pens changed since? Any new additions? :smile:
Your collection is wonderful! Thank you for sharing a photograph. Are you enjoying your collection of pens and stationery more now that you've whittled it down to your favorites? It's good to hear you have found new favorite ballpoints. I've always appreciated Uniball Vision/Eye. I can't remember if Jetstream uses the same ink, but the Uniball ink reminds me a lot of the smoothness of writing with a fountain pen. I also enjoy Pentel Energel ink. I've always wanted to try a Sailor fp, but I don't because I end up going to my favorite pens. I don't need any more and haven't wanted to get more since I can only use so many at once. It's really nice to be in a place of enjoying them and not needing more. I'm happy for you that you have just your favorites now.

I'm sorry you had a painful time and hope this is a wonderful year of healing for you! :hugs:

Your collection is wonderful! Thank you for sharing a photograph. Are you enjoying your collection of pens and stationery more now that you've whittled it down to your favorites? It's good to hear you have found new favorite ballpoints. I've always appreciated Uniball Vision/Eye. I can't remember if Jetstream uses the same ink, but the Uniball ink reminds me a lot of the smoothness of writing with a fountain pen. I also enjoy Pentel Energel ink. I've always wanted to try a Sailor fp, but I don't because I end up going to my favorite pens. I don't need any more and haven't wanted to get more since I can only use so many at once. It's really nice to be in a place of enjoying them and not needing more. I'm happy for you that you have just your favorites now.

I'm sorry you had a painful time and hope this is a wonderful year of healing for you! :hugs:

Thank you!! I am. I used to have a much bigger collection and it was overwhelming. I find myself thinking less of "what to buy next" now that I only have a handful of very much loved pens.

Hmm, I'm not sure. I think the Vision is a more watery ink and the Jetstream is oil-based, but both are pretty smooth.

I have tried to force myself to like Sailor over the years, but I just can't do it. They have a lot of intended feedback, like writing with a pencil, and I prefer glassy smooth nibs. The only Sailor left in my collection (the Angel's Delight in the picture) was reground to a F nib by the nibmeister Mike Masuyama. I had wanted it super smooth, but it still has some feedback. I definitely don't use it as much as the other pens and might sell it one day. I just love the looks of it so much I have a hard time parting with it lol.

It's such a good feeling to be content with a collection!

Thank you, it was a rough year, but things have been so good. Unexpectedly met somebody who fulfills everything I was missing in my previous relationship and am so happy. Also decided to better myself and went back to school and am going great! Things are good and looking up!! :biggrin:

Cross silver fountain pen and I have the matching ballpoint as well for any eventuality .
I bought the crocodile pen holder shortly after moving to Paris in 2000 in a shop I frequented on the FSH
What a lovely set! The ballpoint is a great idea for when the ink might be low on the fountain pen. I hadn't thought of a matching pair before, but that is a fun and useful idea.

• Thanks
Reactions: cecchetti
Thank you!! I am. I used to have a much bigger collection and it was overwhelming. I find myself thinking less of "what to buy next" now that I only have a handful of very much loved pens.

Hmm, I'm not sure. I think the Vision is a more watery ink and the Jetstream is oil-based, but both are pretty smooth.

I have tried to force myself to like Sailor over the years, but I just can't do it. They have a lot of intended feedback, like writing with a pencil, and I prefer glassy smooth nibs. The only Sailor left in my collection (the Angel's Delight in the picture) was reground to a F nib by the nibmeister Mike Masuyama. I had wanted it super smooth, but it still has some feedback. I definitely don't use it as much as the other pens and might sell it one day. I just love the looks of it so much I have a hard time parting with it lol.

It's such a good feeling to be content with a collection!

Thank you, it was a rough year, but things have been so good. Unexpectedly met somebody who fulfills everything I was missing in my previous relationship and am so happy. Also decided to better myself and went back to school and am going great! Things are good and looking up!! :biggrin:
Now I'm even more curious about Jetstream ink. You have completely saved me from wanting a beautiful Sailor fountain pen though. Thank you! 😄 I do not tolerate what I think of as scratchy pens, pens with feedback, when I have a buttery smooth Pelikan. Your description reminds me why I need to stick with them because no matter how pretty a pen is, I will only use the ones that write like butter. :smile:

I also prefer smooth paper. If I haven't mentioned them, I enjoy Tomoe River and any smooth paper pads like Triomphe. I will probably try Rhodia (easier to get in USA) next time I ever run out of the Clairfontaine. I only have the old Tomoe River and hope the newer one feels as smooth to me when I need some.

Thank you for sharing happy news. :heart: What a gift to yourself to make beneficial life changes! What a delightful surprise on top of that to have the gift of an unexpected someone who is just right for you! I hope this year keeps getting better.

Reactions: cecchetti
Now I'm even more curious about Jetstream ink. You have completely saved me from wanting a beautiful Sailor fountain pen though. Thank you! 😄 I do not tolerate what I think of as scratchy pens, pens with feedback, when I have a buttery smooth Pelikan. Your description reminds me why I need to stick with them because no matter how pretty a pen is, I will only use the ones that write like butter. :smile:

I also prefer smooth paper. If I haven't mentioned them, I enjoy Tomoe River and any smooth paper pads like Triomphe. I will probably try Rhodia (easier to get in USA) next time I ever run out of the Clairfontaine. I only have the old Tomoe River and hope the newer one feels as smooth to me when I need some.

Thank you for sharing happy news. :heart: What a gift to yourself to make beneficial life changes! What a delightful surprise on top of that to have the gift of an unexpected someone who is just right for you! I hope this year keeps getting better.
I must try a Pelikan pen next!❤️

Reactions: tealocean