What is your hope for the future of Coach?

I thought it was clever too. I wish I could name specifically who came up with it, I can't remember what thread I even read it under. If you're reading this and you're the one who came up with that name, let us know!!

This idea is just coming to me. - 'Cahn and Cashin' line - after the original creators (Lillian and Miles Cahn and then Bonnie Cashin). That line could include the Double C signature as a double entendre (Cahn/Cashin and Carriage Coach) sans any risque meaning.

:smile:
Personally I would hate if they brought Bonnie Cashin's name into it. It would be a nightmare to find actual Bonnie Cashin items listed online. You would have to wade through all the new stuff.

I thought it was clever too. I wish I could name specifically who came up with it, I can't remember what thread I even read it under. If you're reading this and you're the one who came up with that name, let us know!!

This idea is just coming to me. - 'Cahn and Cashin' line - after the original creators (Lillian and Miles Cahn and then Bonnie Cashin). That line could include the Double C signature as a double entendre (Cahn/Cashin and Carriage Coach) sans any risque meaning.

:smile:
Hmmm, IDK ...I remember reading something somewhere recently about how the woman who inherited Cashin's archive and design holdings, jewelry designer Stephanie Lake, is publicly calling out companies/designers who copy her work, including Coach. I do not know if she also has any legal rights to the name "Cashin" but she might? OT but I just bought a black vintage Bonnie Cashin for Meyers turnlock bag... it looks A LOT like the turnlock styles she did for Coach. Should arrive Mon or Tues.

Hmmm, IDK ...I remember reading something somewhere recently about how the woman who inherited Cashin's archive and design holdings, jewelry designer Stephanie Lake, is publicly calling out companies/designers who copy her work, including Coach. I do not know if she also has any legal rights to the name "Cashin" but she might? OT but I just bought a black vintage Bonnie Cashin for Meyers turnlock bag... it looks A LOT like the turnlock styles she did for Coach. Should arrive Mon or Tues.
Personally I would hate if they brought Bonnie Cashin's name into it. It would be a nightmare to find actual Bonnie Cashin items listed online. You would have to wade through all the new stuff.

Interesting.. I did not know that. I haven't been keeping up with Coach History as of recent. I'll have to Google it and Stephanie Lake.

Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: VintageViv
Interesting.. I did not know that. I haven't been keeping up with Coach History as of recent. I'll have to Google it and Stephanie Lake.

Thank you for sharing!

She has a book that I've read parts of called "Bonnie Cashin Chic is Where you Find it". I had been hoping to find lots of vintage Coach photos in it, but there actually weren't that many probably because Cashin actually wasn't at Coach for that long. But as I remember, Coach actually held out hiring a designer because they didn't want anyone else but Cashin.

Cashin was a truly influential designer; all her designs have form and function. I think very few designers now actually consider how their customers use their items...like lack of pockets both in women's clothing and handbags now!

She has a book that I've read parts of called "Bonnie Cashin Chic is Where you Find it". I had been hoping to find lots of vintage Coach photos in it, but there actually weren't that many probably because Cashin actually wasn't at Coach for that long. But as I remember, Coach actually held out hiring a designer because they didn't want anyone else but Cashin.

Cashin was a truly influential designer; all her designs have form and function. I think very few designers now actually consider how their customers use their items...like lack of pockets both in women's clothing and handbags now!
I believe I read that she clashed with the Cahns in that some of her designs were too expensive to produce. They wanted to simplify to make things cheaper. You can see that in some of the designs that were perpetuated after she left, like the classic pouch.

I believe I read that she clashed with the Cahns in that some of her designs were too expensive to produce. They wanted to simplify to make things cheaper. You can see that in some of the designs that were perpetuated after she left, like the classic pouch.

Interesting. Yes, they allude to that in this NY times article "she designed an expensive bag" :P isn't it funny now some of those designs sell for what I'm guessing is much more than they sold for at the time brand new.

www.nytimes.com/2016/05/12/fashion/coach-bonnie-cashin-designer.amp.html

There's also mention of Stephanie Lake filing for a trademark. But Cashin has influenced so much and Coach has used design elements she brought for so long, it's hard to see how feasible that would be unfortunately. I think I also read Cashin liked the freedom of basically being hired as a design consultant for different brands but that might have ultimately made it easier for her work/ideas to be copied.

Interesting. Yes, they allude to that in this NY times article "she designed an expensive bag" :P isn't it funny now some of those designs sell for what I'm guessing is much more than they sold for at the time brand new.

There's also mention of Stephanie Lake filing for a trademark. But Cashin has influenced so much and Coach has used design elements she brought for so long, it's hard to see how feasible that would be unfortunately. I think I also read Cashin liked the freedom of basically being hired as a design consultant for different brands but that might have ultimately made it easier for her work/ideas to be copied.
Thanks for the link! It's very interesting. Even if she wins the right to use the name, all those elements Bonnie Cashin created have been used on many brands over the years. There is no way to stop that. You can't copyright the use of a turnlock.

Reactions: LaVisioneer

Agree. Her influence is everywhere! And I have thrifted a lot of interesting old bags from brands that definitely looked like they were influenced by/copied Coach/Cashin. The turnlock conquered the world!

In response to Coach and premiere branding.. I’m new to Coach and have always thought of it as a very middle of the road brand with far too many ugly logos. I couldn’t figure out why anyone would want to carry all of that around since it was hardly a status symbol and wasn’t even pretty. It has only been recently that I’m even looking. I prefer mid priced quality leather without logos. I don’t care if anyone knows what bag I’m carrying but then I’ll carry very small unknown designer bags that I find unique and fun. So give me more Rogues and less Disney.

I agree with the person above. More Rogue and less Disney. I wish Coach was more exclusive, if that makes sense. Get out of Belk, Macy's and Dillard's and just remain in their stores. Stop having sales all the time. If I want to sell a bag I'm not using, I don't want to lose 50% on a great condition bag because of sales it was included in, I may had not bought it at that price!

They should get rid of the Monogram. It's hard to pull off monogram with just ONE letter, just look at Chloe and Celine: they don't have monogram prints as far as I know.

They're doing something right with the Saddle Bags. Reminds me of newer Celine AND Chloe designs but the C is much smaller. I absolutely adore it. The small leather detailing is a nice addition to the chain as opposed to a large, leather piece on top. My gripe is they really need to be better at selecting interior colors. The Scarlett/Brass is gorgeous but the bright red interior cheapens it.

In response to Coach and premiere branding.. I’m new to Coach and have always thought of it as a very middle of the road brand with far too many ugly logos. I couldn’t figure out why anyone would want to carry all of that around since it was hardly a status symbol and wasn’t even pretty. It has only been recently that I’m even looking. I prefer mid priced quality leather without logos. I don’t care if anyone knows what bag I’m carrying but then I’ll carry very small unknown designer bags that I find unique and fun. So give me more Rogues and less Disney.
Have you been mainly looking at outlet bags all of these years? Because Coach has been making primarily full leather bags without logos for many years. In fact the signature/logo has just come back more recently and that is due to other brands doing more of it/kind of the "in" thing. So just be aware I think you might have missed most of what Coach has been offering if all you have seen is logo heavy bags. All of the boutique bags since I started buying Coach years ago have pretty much been leather bags with no logos.

Have you been mainly looking at outlet bags all of these years? Because Coach has been making primarily full leather bags without logos for many years. In fact the signature/logo has just come back more recently and that is due to other brands doing more of it/kind of the "in" thing. So just be aware I think you might have missed most of what Coach has been offering if all you have seen is logo heavy bags. All of the boutique bags since I started buying Coach years ago have pretty much been leather bags with no logos.
I see mainly what is in Coach store windows and department stores and frankly I have seen a lot of logo over the years! I also see a lot of carried bags that I can tell right away are Coach without the logos- florals, etc. Never liked but a few random bags and never enough to buy. Bought a dreamer this year. Love it. Now I’m looking at Rogues but wishing for more colors and possibly MTO. Many of the bags I don’t care for, including the fall preview. I see logos again, and ugly patchwork. Sorry.

I see mainly what is in Coach store windows and department stores and frankly I have seen a lot of logo over the years! I also see a lot of carried bags that I can tell right away are Coach without the logos- florals, etc. Never liked but a few random bags and never enough to buy. Bought a dreamer this year. Love it. Now I’m looking at Rogues but wishing for more colors and possibly MTO. Many of the bags I don’t care for, including the fall preview. I see logos again, and ugly patchwork. Sorry.
What I am trying to express since you didn't look closely at the bags over many years is that most of the bags were not logos/signature. I know because I have been seeing almost every bag they offer for many years now.

But what you are seeing now with the logos, not just Coach--it is the current handbag industry doing more of the logos again, and Coach therefore is doing it also. The key is to look past the previews and the advertisements, and at the actual products on their website. I find that the previews only show a few styles and patterns, but what you see on the website as a whole gives you a lot more of the really nice, simple options like the Dreamers and the Rogues, etc. For example, I can open up a fashion magazine, and the ad shows the patchwork and logos, but if I go online, I will see some of the preview options, but more of the full leather bags without the patchwork/logos.