What is your hope for the future of Coach?

What I am trying to express since you didn't look closely at the bags over many years is that most of the bags were not logos/signature. I know because I have been seeing almost every bag they offer for many years now.

But what you are seeing now with the logos, not just Coach--it is the current handbag industry doing more of the logos again, and Coach therefore is doing it also. The key is to look past the previews and the advertisements, and at the actual products on their website. I find that the previews only show a few styles and patterns, but what you see on the website as a whole gives you a lot more of the really nice, simple options like the Dreamers and the Rogues, etc. For example, I can open up a fashion magazine, and the ad shows the patchwork and logos, but if I go online, I will see some of the preview options, but more of the full leather bags without the patchwork/logos.
Thank you and I am doing exactly this! Over the years all logos have turned me off but then I’m someone who thinks LV logo bags are horrid.
It all reminds me of the canvas Guess bags girls at school (myself included) toted around in the 80s to feel cool (maybe an LA suburb thing?) In my middle age I prefer understated quality without making some brand statement (and without hawking my future retirement since I am also not a minimalist and prefer a little bit of everything).

I understand where people who dislike logos are coming from. I am someone who enjoys logos on my slg's and seeing it on handbags and other small accessories mainly because I don't wear clothing or shoes with logos on it. The slgs are my 'pop' of branding so to speak.

I don't like logos on slgs because I want everyone to know what I have. I like logos on slgs because it adds a unique look to something tiny and would otherwise maybe look 'plain'. That being said, I also love soft leathers, and glove tanned leathers. Company's seem to be making less of this - collectively for the products I am looking for. I have not seen a glove tanned or supple soft leather (with no Disney or Selena Gomez print on it) Coach Mini Skinny sold ever to my recollection. The crossgrain/saffiano is nice, but sometimes I want soft leather.

That being said I love Coach Signature Mini Skinnies because they usually incorporate actual leather into the product too.

I am of the opinion most brands should carry several lines in a brand: classic leathers, signature, and then trendy (think flowers, animals, etc.). I myself don't like anything floral/animal on slgs (with the exception of Vera Bradley) but acknowledge that many people like the floral and animal prints company's are putting on their products.

Having several consistent lines ensures there is something for everyone and not alienating consumers by fully catering to one area (all leather, signature, trendy, etc.).

I understand where people who dislike logos are coming from. I am someone who enjoys logos on my slg's and seeing it on handbags and other small accessories mainly because I don't wear clothing or shoes with logos on it. The slgs are my 'pop' of branding so to speak.

I don't like logos on slgs because I want everyone to know what I have. I like logos on slgs because it adds a unique look to something tiny and would otherwise maybe look 'plain'. That being said, I also love soft leathers, and glove tanned leathers. Company's seem to be making less of this - collectively for the products I am looking for. I have not seen a glove tanned or supple soft leather (with no Disney or Selena Gomez print on it) Coach Mini Skinny sold ever to my recollection. The crossgrain/saffiano is nice, but sometimes I want soft leather.

That being said I love Coach Signature Mini Skinnies because they usually incorporate actual leather into the product too.

I am of the opinion most brands should carry several lines in a brand: classic leathers, signature, and then trendy (think flowers, animals, etc.). I myself don't like anything floral/animal on slgs (with the exception of Vera Bradley) but acknowledge that many people like the floral and animal prints company's are putting on their products.

Having several consistent lines ensures there is something for everyone and not alienating consumers by fully catering to one area (all leather, signature, trendy, etc.).
And I love animal prints and skins! (Though I’d prefer embossed to skins any day since they feel less precious to use). But I agree with you. Diversification probably makes more people happy. I have friends who shop outlets and I will totally pay full price if I love something enough....not that I don’t like sales. Those outlets are like Nordstrom Rack or Marshall’s. Look as though they were manufactured for those stores. That’s where the super logo fabrics and the flowers should probably stay.

>>>I like logos on slgs because it adds a unique look to something tiny and would otherwise maybe look 'plain'.

Same here.

>>>That being said, I also love soft leathers, and glove tanned leathers.

Same here.

>>>Company's seem to be making less of this - collectively for the products I am looking for. I have not seen a glove tanned or supple soft leather (with no Disney or Selena Gomez print on it) Coach Mini Skinny sold ever to my recollection.

YES. And as a bit of an old-timer with Coach SLGs, I'll add that the SLGs are getting bigger too. Yes, please, offer some bigger options .... but don't take away all the tiny as well. The mini-skinnies are bigger now (and more accurately, bulkier) than they were some years ago. Even the tiniest ones have extra layers of leather on the outside now, to create multiple outer card slots. It does add bulk, and considerable extra width if you actually put cards into those outer slots. Even if you don't put cards out there, you still have extra width.

The women's bi-fold wallet (closes like a clamshell with a snap) has also grown by .... well, I'd have to measure, but I think it's at least half an inch if not 3/4 of an inch in dimensions. At least that's based on the last time I looked at such wallets in the boutique. I have a few of those old school Madison bi-fold wallets, and I will cling to them for life. They're perfect for in a small bag, but then suddenly the new version "grew" in size (based on looking in my boutique), and since then just about every Coach wallet has been bigger in one way or another.

I know that sounds petty, but I tend to like small bags, and hence small wallets. The mini-skinnies and bi-folds, which are my go-to's (along with LV ZCPs), suddenly just started to grow some years back. So I cling to my older Madison ones. ..... Also, for a very short time there, Coach offered zip around wallets that were very much like ZCPs, and small like that. Then they suddenly disappeared too, and the ones they've carried since, are actually a little bigger than the ZCPs. ...... Yes, I know, sounds petty. But if you really want small wallets, it's frustrating when those options just keep disappearing. And it obviously means Coach won't be getting those purchases from me either. :sad:

Last edited:

And one more sidenote:

>>>I have not seen a glove tanned or supple soft leather (with no Disney or Selena Gomez print on it) Coach Mini Skinny sold ever to my recollection. The crossgrain/saffiano is nice, but sometimes I want soft leather.

It's not glove-tanned, but the old style Madison leather of some years ago was (and is) SO soft. And they made mini-skinnies in it ... I have one, daughter has one. If you want soft leather mini-skinnies, look for that in good condition. Like I said, not glove-tanned, but still the kind of softness you can just sit there massaging for hours.

Reactions: AManIntoFashion
And one more sidenote:

>>>I have not seen a glove tanned or supple soft leather (with no Disney or Selena Gomez print on it) Coach Mini Skinny sold ever to my recollection. The crossgrain/saffiano is nice, but sometimes I want soft leather.

It's not glove-tanned, but the old style Madison leather of some years ago was (and is) SO soft. And they made mini-skinnies in it ... I have one, daughter has one. If you want soft leather mini-skinnies, look for that in good condition. Like I said, not glove-tanned, but still the kind of softness you can just sit there massaging for hours.

Thank you for the tip!! I'll have to search!!! Always love reading your posts!

Reactions: momtok
And one more sidenote:

I ordered a soft silver leather Coach Mini Skinny earlier today. Will update with a photo when it arrives!!!

I ordered a soft silver leather Coach Mini Skinny earlier today. Will update with a photo when it arrives!!!
I don't know if it'll help much, but I pulled out my records and got the style numbers for my two types of soft leather mini-skinnies.

They are: 42924 ... that's a quilted leather, quilted with C's but because it's all one color it doesn't scream the C's. I have a couple of those, and the leather is nice and soft.
Also 46678 ... that's a soft Madison leather that daughter has. Madison leather was always known for soft. Like butter.
Also 41259 ... according to my records that's a Soho leather. Again, soft leather.
Don't have time for pics, but they're easily google-able.
And those are all older styles. People will some day have to pry them from my dead hands. (Well, actually, daughter will obviously get them as time goes on, so pry them from her instead.)

Actually, I just realized how hard it is to find easy pics on google. it probably doesn't help that most people don't know the numbers, so even if they show up on ebay, they're not in there with the style numbers.
Going to get a pic. Back in a few minutes.

Reactions: AManIntoFashion
Sorry for the multiple posts.
Ok, the quilted ones were called Grammercy 42924.
The light purple is a Soho 41259.
Black is Madison 46678.
All old style, all the older 'small' size, all soft leather (the first two not quite as soft as glove-tanned, but certainly not a thing like the stiff crossgrain or saffiano-style they do so much of now).
leather-mini-skinnies.JPG

Last edited:
Black is Madison 46678.
All old style, all the older 'small' size, all soft leather (the first two not quite as soft as glove-tanned, but certainly not a thing like the stiff crossgrain or saffiano-style they do so much of now).
View attachment 4394100

No need to apologize for several posts!! Thank you for the photos! I'll update with a photo and style number (it still has the tag) once it arrives. Thank you for sending the photo! Some of those styles I have saved on my eBay and Poshmark accounts for later purchasing.

Black is Madison 46678.
View attachment 4394100

It came today!! It is very soft!! Metallic silver in color. Coach F43346!

Attachments

• 20190406_152331.jpg
    20190406_152331.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 162
It came today!! It is very soft!! Metallic silver in color. Coach F43346!

I apologize for taking over your thread, but just wanted to show the board something. This is why I wish they'd make the mini-skinnies like they used to. ...

So given our conversation, I just moved into my little purple one as my wallet for the next few days. And it's not always about fashion, it's actually practicality. Thought process went like this .... 1) Tomorrow morning is teaching pre-school Sunday school with my mother's help, then the two of us out to lunch. 2) That means I need small crossbody so I can keep it on me for much of that time, based on herding tiny children, and then seating at mom's favorite diner, where I might have the bag on me during the entire meal. 3) That means lightweight so I don't kill my neck, so I grab for a small Louis in canvas (Eva, lightweight canvas ..... imagine a leather Dinky cutting into your neck for hours -- no thanks). 4) That means extra-small wallet so it all fits, so out comes one of those mini-skinnies.

At 4.25" x 3", those two dimensions match the mini-skinnies on Coach's site, except for the fact that it does not have so many extra "Id-case" layers stitched onto the outside, which actually makes its third dimension skinnier than the new ones. It's a skinnier, skinny. ;) And being softer leather, unlike the crossgrain leather on the website, it molds better, flexes better, feels better. And look what this sucker can hold: .... That's eight credit-card-size cards, seven cash bills folded in thirds, two car registrations and two car insurance papers all folded in fourths, three wallet size pictures, two papers with phone numbers, and a stack of at least eight clipped coupons for local restaurants. I do take the round keyrings off from the inside of my mini-skinnies, but honestly, it still closes easily. And fits perfectly in the Louis, keeping everything lightweight, and leaves room for a pack of tissues, two large car key fobs with house/mail keys, Roots brand zip case with emergency bandaids/pills/tums, and the iphone in otter box that I was currently taking the pic with. It all works, it's all sensible, and I'm good for all day tomorrow if I need to keep it on me.
Damn it, bring back the nice, *small* leather mini-skinnies! Been saying that for a few years now.
miniskinny1.JPG eva-inside.JPG

Last edited: