What is your designer bag history/development?

In my younger teens I wore Nine West and NY&co.

Then in college I bought Coach and Longchamp. First real job, jumped to LV and continued to Chanel and Hermes from there.

I get a few contemporary and Longchamp bags here and there, but I'm primarily in LV

in college as an art major i mostly carry art bag and big backpack filled with paints and sketch book so i don't wear fancy stuff.
then when LV collaborate with this artist julie verhoeven i was astounded but couldn't afford it at the time.
i never fond of LV or designer bags before this
after that comes the collaboration with another of my fave artist takashi murakami and i decided i have to have at least one of his collection and i could only afford the coin purse and card case at the time
but that was the start of my designer bags collection
i was so happy with the quality and started to eye on vintage chanel. why the vintage because that was what i could afford too.
meanwhile i use mostly random vintage bags from salvation army or leathers from vintage stores
and then in my mids 20s i fell in love with balenciaga which i found from this purse forum and began to buy one to fall in love and then some more
on the sides i started to buy chanels and occasionally LV limited edition
now i would randomly buy some bags from designers that i like at the time like givenchy, saint laurent, celine and recently crazy about loewe puzzle.

Honestly, as someone in her mid-20s, I still don't mind cheap(er) handbags or independent brands, simply because they're functional. I need a bag I can throw around and can still carry its weight.

That being said, throughout most of high school and middle school, the "handbag" obsession was relegated to cheap brands from mass retailers. I also had LeSportSac totes so I could throw stuff around, and a JanSport backpack. Standard. I did have a Coach bag that I liked, and probably a couple of other brands. Guess handbags-- when that brand was OK. In high school, my mother and I went shopping together a bunch and I acquired a couple of nice purchases. My three favourites being a Botkier bag and two Marc by Marc Jacobs bags (Petal to the Metal bag-- the first edition with the paisley lining! and Turnlock hobo bag, but with the niiiice leather.) I also bought into the Linea Pelle Dylan Zip tote thing (which I still like the bag, it's functional for school and DOES hold a 15' MacBook Pro.) My mom DID buy me a pre-loved Balenciaga bag that I brought with me to prom.

In college, I had a tendency to carry around more than one bag. In undergrad, I ended up carrying a backpack for the latter two years because I was commuting via public transport. But when I lived on campus, I always used my Linea Pelle tote. I would say probably the latter couple of years in college, as well as graduate school now, my taste has varied and sort of gone off the deep end lol. I like many designers, and have a gamut of bags, but I have been saving up for the premium designers recently and haven't found myself disappointed yet.

I steer more towards Alexander Wang, Proenza Schouler and Chloe-- utilitarian, edgy or sort of boho. Things haven't really changed in terms of the types of bags I like-- I just sort of upscaled it a bit :smile: I like bags I can throw around, and carry with me from day to night. I like Rebecca Minkoff from time to time, but have found the quality to be disappointing. I like Balenciaga (I love studs lol) and Valentino Rockstud, but I'm not really into structured bags yet. Lucky for me :smile:

Teens: mostly borrowed bags from my mom.
20s: designer-inspired mainstreet brands. Logos were big back then but I prefer leather bags.
30s: Coach, MK Collection (not MMK), LV, Prada, Lesportsac, Marc Jacobs (missed his old designs), Burberry
late 30s: Hermes, Chanel, Longchamp, Celine, YSL, Ferragamo
40s: I'm not particular about labels anymore. Quality of leather, hardware and functionality are top of mind now. Mixture of low-hi range.

It used to be that a famous brand label excites me but after having them for a while or even just a few weeks, if the bag isn't as functional as I envisioned - away it goes. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I always carried a backpack in high school, but when I graduated I got myself a lovely Kate Spade bag with pebbled leather during a Black Friday sale. That was my gateway drug, basically. I'm in uni now and when I go to class or to my part-time internship i rotate between a couple of Longchamp Le Pliage totes and a Longchamp Le Foulonne leather backpack. I have a small YSL Cabas Chyc that i got last year, i use this when i go out on the weekends, and i just bought my first Prada bag, a double-zip tote.

Possibly looking to get a nice shoulder tote later this year, i originally had my mind set on the LV Neverfull but after thinking about it there's wayyyy too many people in uni carrying it (and lots of fakes sadly :sad: ), so i will possibly get the Faure Le Page battle tote. Although I have to say i still love my non-luxury backpacks from Outdoor, Kanken Fjallraven and a drawstring Vans bag with a really lovely flower print :smile:

When I was a teenager I got a couple Guess & Franco Sarto, Michaels Kors ect. Then Coach exploded onto the younger set & I was hooked. The old c.c. wristlet was the first step to never looking back. Kicked it up to Badgely Micska at some point then......
I got a very expensive Jimmy Choo while I was working in Japan and that was how I became a total bag snob.
I'm so picky now its just pitiful.

Sent from my LG-K550 using PurseForum mobile app

I started collecting bags when I graduated uni at 21. At first, I got a Marc Jacobs bag as a gift, and then some low end designer bags like Michael Kors, and some high end bags from Ferragamo as gifts from my mother who thought that since I am working a corporate job, it is more appropriate to wear designer items. The first bag I purchased myself was at 22, which is a Prada double zip tote, and then a Chloe a few months later. I use mainly low/mid range designer bags, with a few high end ones. I don't really think the brand 'ranking' and price is that important, as long as you like the design.

Reactions: hotcrossbiscuit
My intro into bags was a Coach given to me by my oldest sister. I carried Coach in my twenties then moved to MK in my thirties. Then in 2014 I saw a woman carrying the most beautiful bag I've ever seen , after searching online I found out it was a Canvas Gucci Sukey. I bought it 50 % off at Nieman Marcus ( lucky me) . The next bag to catch my eye was LV Artsy, but I wasn't quite ready to spend two grand on a bag so I got my feet wet with LV Delightful . Six months later I bought a Speedy 30 now I'm ready to make my HG purchase the beautiful Mono Artsy .

Oh where to begin...

My mom has been a handbag fanatic all her (and my life). Always remember her manic excitement shopping with her from as early as 3 or 4 years old- so I was destined..

Gifted cutesy little bags for kindergarten/ being flower girl etc.. carried the ubiquitous jansport backpack until jr. year of high school when I found this very business-esque guess nylon pseudo ‘briefcase’. I realized then I was a bit more formal than the crowd, ha.

College through late 20’s was embarrassingly knock-off designers (a certain monogram which shall not be named ). As well as a few coach, Kate spade- the path of many.

My fixation with premium luxury began with my mom birthday shopping for her new bag (still tagging along on her ‘missions’- some things never change!) and seeing the Burberry DK88 in 2017. It screamed luxe lifestyle, and quality, and all the reasons one buys high end. That was the pivotal moment that changed the trajectory!! I lusted for over a year and finally did it as a post break up ‘I deserve it’ kind of gift. And then I was gifted a Givenchy horizon two months later for my birthday. It was all over from there!

Since, I have sort of become a lunatic, researching and educating myself on all of the history of design houses, facets/features of individual bags etc, by way of tpf as well as youtube. And I’ve already started a nice curation from many design houses (Bottega, Chanel, Fendi, Hermes, Balenciaga, Gucci, Saint Laurent, Givenchy, and of course my beloved Burberry DK88).

I see handbag collecting as yet another aesthetic/artistic outlet ( already highly into architecture/design as well as contemporary art, and high fashion). Years from now, I just want to be THAT little old lady with the pristine collection that everybody has to see to believe. Ha.

The first one was a small Kate Spade Crossbody, there were a few Fossils before that.
Then I came HERE where I saw an old post "Who has the softest leather?". After reading that thread I ended up with four Hayden Harnett bags and three Koobas. Family started to worry. Then came seven Botkiers, one Linea Pelle, and two Rebecca Minkoff. Family grows more worried for some reason. I mean the bags weren't expensive and all preloved.
Now I go to thrift stores and have found some more Rebecca Minkoff, an MK Collection bag, Jr. Drake, Anja Flint, Isabella Fiore, older MKs, Tanos, Oryany, MBMJ, Cole Haan, Francesco Biasia Sigrid Olsen, Tods. Family starts buying me bags for birthdays and holidays. I think they've accepted it.
Especially since I quit crack for bags.
Just kidding.
I'd like a Balenciaga, Jimmy Choo, Alexander Wang, Massecessi, Givenchy... someday.

My passion has always been for shoes up until the last few years. I still love shoes, but I’ve branched out into collecting bags too. Until my early 30s, I bought bags for usefulness instead of fashion. I was always hung up on quality for price though. I’d buy a bag and carry it for 6 months to a year before buying another.

As for my evolution, my grandmother gave me one of her Dooney & Bourke bags when I was still in elementary school. I carried it until I discovered Liz Claiborne bags in middle school and had several of those over the years. You really couldn’t beat the mix of quality, style, and price with much else. I carried those from middle school until college. Then, when I was about 20 I discovered Fossil and had a few of those that I carried until they fell apart, which is no easy task because those bags are tough. When I was in my late 20’s, I went looking for a very specific type of bag and found a Coach that was exactly what I needed. It’s all been downhill from there. I’ve picked up a few no name leather bags over the years, but have stuck mostly to Coach, Michael Kors, Kate Spade, and Rebecca Minkoff. About 3 years ago, I saw an LV Trevi and just had to have it. It had been discontinued by then so I found it preloved, along with an Epi Pochette. There are a few other LV’s that I like and will probably get at some point, and I inherited a vintage Chanel from my great aunt recently. But I’m hung up on the Coach 1941 line right now. The leather and quality are to die for, especially at their price point.

So I guess my evolution was DB > Liz Claiborne > Fossil > Coach > MK/KS/RM > LV > Coach

I carried Walmart and Target type bags well into my 30s. My mom always has and even to this day, the only reason she has any designer bags is because I bought them for her. I would go into Nordstrom and eye all the pretty bags but thought $300+ for a purse was insane. And that was back when Coach had some exclusivity to it - it was a major purchase for most people and a big deal to have one. Plus I didn't really have a salary that would allow such things, and then when I got such an income, I spent the first several years paying off my student loans. So luxury handbags were not on the radar. In fact, when I was paying off my loans, I was involved in a financial forum about getting out of debt and I started a thread about the right time to buy a $200 Anuschka purse that got pretty heated.

Then about 7-8 months after I paid off my loan, January 2014, I was in TJ Maxx and saw a Coach bag for like $60 or something. I thought that was a fantastic deal, although I thought $60 was still a lot to spend on it. I think I had a gift card or something and I used that to lower the price and I got it. I was so excited to finally have a Coach bag! But then when I got home and googled it, I started to suspect I had been taken. I started asking around and that's how I found out about the MFF lines. (Also found out about TPF!) Oh. Well, now I feel cheated. I thought I was a cool kid and it turns out I'm a step-child. So then I was determined that I wanted to be a cool kid and have an actual Coach FP bag. But still, the price....ouch. But I think the next thing I actually bought was a MK Fulton crossbody that was on sale at Macy's, and again, I used a gift card to bring the price down a little more.

I don't remember exactly what happened after that, but I know I went a little crazy and I bought many bags from many designers at Macy's, Nordstrom Rack, and online stores like Zappos and 6pm.com. I bought a Coach Legacy Turnlock Tote that was around $200 I think and I felt like I was taking a huge plunge. But then I ended up buying several bags like MK. Moschino, Kate Spade, etc. that were in that less than $200 price point. I got a Coach Madison small Sadie that I think was marked down to around $200 or just above at Macy's. I think the first bag that I paid full price for at the Coach Boutique was the mini Preston satchel. The whole year of 2014 was a crazy buying year, and not surprisingly, many of those bags don't get used and some have been sold.

In 2015, I went to NYC as an adult for the first time, and I went a little crazy there too. Such great shopping in NYC. I bought Coach and MK. And on the morning I was leaving Manhattan to go stay with my brother on Long Island, I ventured into Bergdorf Goodman. I had been hanging out on TPF and knew that I really wanted a Balenciaga City. But again, the price, ouch. And I thought the Classic was much too big, but the mini was way too tiny. And the salesman was kind of dismissive of the City and pointed me towards the Velo instead. I agreed that the size was much better on the Velo and I bought that. My first premiere bag! Later on, I wish I hadn't let the salesman dismiss the City like he did because that was what I had actually wanted.

Well, now clearly I've crossed the 4-figure price threshold on bags. Later that year brought a pre-loved Mulberry Bayswater, an LV Pallas BB, an LV epi pochette, as well as several contemporary bags. In 2016 I slowed down on buying a lot. I think I bought a Tory Burch and a few contemporary bags like Longchamp, but much less than the previous 2 years. In 2017, I bought a Burberry as well as some Coach and Tory Burch at the outlet and a BV at BG while I was in NYC. In 2018, I haven't bought much of anything until last month when I went to Vegas. The sweet salesman at the NM showed me that Bal had come out with an in-between size on the City, which was just perfect for me. And I went into Fendi looking for the Dotcom, which I didn't know was discontinued, but she showed me a beautiful By the Way. So I got both of those, as well as a Dooney and a Ted Baker.

So I guess my progression was no-name > Coach/MK/under $200 > Balenciaga > LV > BV > Bal/Fendi. Although I still have nothing against contemporary bags and buy plenty of them. My pace on premiere is probably going to remain 1-2/yr. I don't know that I'm ever going to progress into Chanel or Hermes. Those price points are just insanity. Some of the Hermes styles might be ok pre-loved, but Chanel is insane even pre-loved.

Last edited:
I carried cheap bags in high school. Sometimes something preppy - anyone remember the wooden handle bags with interchangeable button on fabric? - but mostly just cheap and flimsy. I seem to remember an Atienne Aigner, though I grew up calling it an "Agner". (Tee hee hee!) In college and late 20s, I carried Coach. Around 30-32, I bought 2 (for me) pivotal bags: a LV Speedy 30 and a YSL (Tom Ford) Mombasa. This was the moment I really started appreciating designer bags.

Going forward, I rarely do new new bags. I mostly do some flavor of pre-loved. Like @paculina, I'm not sure I'll ever invest in Hermes or Chanel. I can't see laying out +$2500 (which, specs my limit) regardless of resale or investment appreciation.

Last edited:
I carried cheap bags in high school. Sometimes something preppy - anyone remember the wooden handle bags with interchangeable button on fabric? - but mostly just cheap and flimsy. I seem to remember an Atienne Aigner, though I grew up calling it an "Agner". (Tee hee hee!) In college and late 20s, I carried Coach. Around 30-32, I bought 2 (for me) pivotal bags: a LV Speedy 30 and a YSL (Tom Ford) Mombasa. This was the moment I really started appreciating designer bags.

Going forward, I rarely do new new bags. I mostly do some flavor of pre-loved. Like @paculina, I'm not sure I'll ever invest in Hermes or Chanel. I can't see laying out +$2500 (which, specs my limit) regardless of resale or investment appreciation.
$2500 is my limit too, and I'm not even really sure that I would buy a bag that was $2500 before taxes.

My handbag love started young, but the ones I would purchase for myself were the dept store brands mostly- Nine West, Liz Claiborne, etc. I would wear them for a season and then they'd start to fall apart. I always admired my aunt's Coach Willis bag and made it a point to save up some birthday money and get a Coach bag for myself. I ended up getting a small red leather bag (that I still have!) and wore it endlessly! Looks brand new still and almost 20 yrs old. At the same time, my dad bought me a Dooney in their french waxed leather line (I forgot the name, but I want to say Toiny?), and I loved that bag so much. Then over the years, I got Coachs and Dooneys but never really got crazy for bags until about 10 yrs ago. I also have Kate Spade and MK bags, but Coach's 1941 line is my newest love. I went through my collection recently, and purged about 40% of it because they don't hold a candle to the 1941 bags I have, and I've been wearing them the most for the past year. Eventually I do want a Celine, a Chloe, a Mulberry, and the Strathberry bags look really beautiful too, so I do want to venture out further, but for now I am content.