What is the most that you'd spend on a handbag?

While I can certainly afford it, I have never bought an upscale designer purse. I don't believe in spending more than 400-500 USD on a purse.

My most expensive purse is 300USD and I am yet to be tempted to spend more.

This has yet to be determined but right now I'd say $1K. I normally treat myself for my birthday which is in July and I was browsing last night to determine what that may be. I wanted an LV Neverfull in Damier Ebene but alas the GM has exceed my $1K price ceiling so I don't know if I'll be getting that bag anytime soon. Perhaps I'll consider a preloved one. Better brush up on the rules for the authentication thread.

Back when I first started getting into handbags, I used to see knock offs at the local flea market (which I thought were REAL, btw) and think that their $45 price tag was ridiculously expensive. I never used to carry handbags back then...I didn't see the point.

Well...eventually I ended up buying one of those knock offs (which I thought were real), and that started my handbag addiction. I vowed never to pay more than $30-$60 for a bag, but then as I started learning more about handbags...I started to realize what I wanted in a bag and that quality was very important. I also realized my bags were fake, and complete JUNK, to put it nicely. I had my eye on the Nicky Hilton for Samantha Thavasa white star bag around this time. I drooled over all the celebrities in the magazines who were carrying it, and cut out every single picture I came across of it. After a little over a year I decided not to torture myself anymore, and just decided to get it for myself as a treat. I almost died when I saw it's $359-$500 pricetag. I opted for the smaller one cuz that was the cheaper one, vowing to NEVER again spend that much on a handbag.

Well so much for that because after buying a FEW more NH for ST bags, I laid eyes on the gorgeous Coach ski bag w/ rabbit fur trim. The $795 price tag was a little much for me...until I found it on eBay for $499. It was mine. Again, I vowed never to spend so much on a handbag again and thought since I got my two obsession bags out of the way, I'd be in the clear...

WRONG!!! My obsessive bag buying reached new heights... Dooney, Juicy, more Coach... Untili got bored with those and wanted something more. I was on a bus trip to NYC debating over if I should splurge on an LV bag... On the bus I heard everyone talking about what bag purchase they were gonna make on canal street, and my mind was made up! They could keep their canal st garbage, for I was getting a real Louis! I just bought a monogram Speedy, which came to about $679 after tax. It was a great feeling on the bus ride home when everyone asked me what bag I bought from canal street...lol.

I vowed to never pay that much again, but that Louis got me hooked! Now my limit keeps going UP and UP! I now have quite a few bags in the $1K and $1500 range... I always thought $1K would be my absolute stopping point, but now I'm not so sure. It's seriously such a strong addiction. Now I find myself thinking...maybe I'll sell some bags and eventually buy a Chanel and a Hermes. Just ONE of each, and stop there... But you know how that goes...lol. And I'm really scared to see how I'm gonna be 3 yrs down the road when my FJ Cruiser is all paid off! I'll have an extra $500 a month to put toward handbags, which means I can buy six bags that cost 1K a year!!!

I'm hopeless... :/

No, no, no!! There is hope. Yes, you have the oh so common story of that creeping addiction (I saw a particularly sordid tale of this on "Intervention" last week. The woman was clutching her Celine Edge bag and screaming "NO! You can't stop me!" It was tragic.) But there is a way out of this obsessive behavior at my clinic, Passages: Boston. First box up all your handbags. Go ahead. Box that Speedy and all the rest. Then, send them with a certified check for $20,000 to:

barskin's Handbag Addiction Clinic
Passages: Boston
255 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

My professional staff will be able to give your mind and spirit all the help it needs to beat this thing. This is not a 12 step program. I should know. I used to be an addict, and now...Oh, let's just forget about that part, shall we?

Reactions: southernbelle43
$1000. I can't justify spending more than a mortgage payment on a bag. :sad:
I can relate. I try to keep things in payment range/paycheck for perspective and tend to balk when it comes to it being worth a substantial item, such as that bag costs as much as a new car, semester of a Ph.D, etc. Until/unless those become things I'm willing to pay for outright, it doesn't make sense for me to do that for a bag.

I've stopped trying to put a cap on myself though because as soon as I do, something $100 more will be released that I must have and I can afford it, so, well...lol. I'd rather not put myself in that position. I just have a comfort zone and evaluate my situation at the time.