Food What is a good Red Wine for Thanksgiving?

I took a wine class last night and learned quite a lot actually (I am a wine freak!)! One of the questions that came up for the teacher (who is a sommelier BTW) was what wine goes good with turkey?

he recommended a Riesling (which is a white wine) and a Pinot Noir (a red wine).

You can go with a Beaujolais Nouveau also if you like-it doesn't compliment the turkey meat as well-but a lot of people drink it with their Thanksgiving dinner because it comes out this time of year. i tasted a great one last night, Chateau de la Terriere, Cuvee Jules du Souzy, it runs for about $17.95 a bottle here in NY.

Sangiovese goes well with red, white, pork, etc. I tried a random bottle from Trader Joe's and was pleasantly surprised. They only had one brand of Sangiovese in stock and I believe it cost less than $10. If you don't end up trying a Sangiovese, definitely try one with Pork! (I am not a pork fan but the pairing was superb)

So you think a white wine will be better? If so, which one? Sorry I do not know ANYTHING about wines!!! LOL ..... just give me a budlight and Im happy!!!:P

Hey if Bud Light is what you like, go for it! IMO a "good" wine is worthless if you don't like the way it tastes :shrugs:

That being said, if you're still looking for fruity wine that pairs with white meat, try Reisling. Go to any grocery store or liquor store that sells wine and it's in the "white" section, in bottles with long necks. Firestone and Chateau St Michelle are tasty and cheap. Good luck!!!

I ended up going a little crazy at the liquor store, I bought:
Beaujolais Nouveau
Sparkling Australian Shiraz
Pinot Noir
Reisling
and Chardonnay!!!

It was all <$50. They had some good sales!

:yahoo:

So I came back from the grocery store and I was not able to find the Beaujolais Nouveau. I bought one that is called Syrah, is ok, but still alittle strong for me. I guess since Im kinda new to the whole wine thing is just different. I really want to try the Beaujolais Nouveau cuz suppously is "fruity". Where can i find it? I went to frys (grocery stre) and did not find it

At a local winery (Nashoba), I get a cranberry wine... something fruity like that is great with Thanksgiving foods. It's about $11 or 12 a bottle. So good! They also have a cherry wine which is really nice, too. Maybe you could find something like that...?

What wineries did you buy from?

All different ones. Our liquor store has rating and description cards for the ones that are on sale, so I go by that. The Beaujolais was Georges DeBoeuf, because that's all they had. I think the Chardonnay was Chateau St Michelle. The Pinot and Reisling were ones I'd never heard of, but they looked good. I was hungover from the night before, so I didn't end up drinking any wine :shame:

Our guests brought a HUGE bottle of pinot grigio and they drank that. The only one of mine that we opened was the Lorikeet Sparkling Shiraz. I tried a sip of it and it was delicious (it was only $4.99)!!! My mom (who hates wine and never drinks) drank a whole huge glass and asked me to go back and buy 6 more bottles for Christmas :lol:

I really want to try the Beaujolais Nouveau cuz suppously is "fruity". Where can i find it? I went to frys (grocery stre) and did not find it

It's sold at liquor stores, but it only comes out the 3rd week of November. If you wait too long, they won't have it anymore! See if you can find Lorikeet Sparkling Shiraz from Australia. It was fruity, bubbly and smooth-- totally different than Shiraz or champagne. It was fantastic and everybody loved it :nuts: