What has surprised you about Hermes?

MonsoonBirkin

Aug 5, 2018
For me, it's how the leather (be it Ardennes, box, or clemence) feels papery and powdery. H is the only brand I've encountered that has this unique feel.

I'm also surprised by the fact the H bug is very real. Someone here warned me in 2018 that my first bag wouldn't be my last, and 5 bags later... :shocked:

Anyone else surprised by anything, be it service, prices, other items?

I love this topic. :smile: for me…

1. How big the b25 is actually is. Lol. I was always told it was so tiny and I should consider 30s.. for me, the 25 gives plenty of room and is as big as I’ll go for my frame. I don’t like to carry a lot on my purse and find I have plenty of space left.

2. How de-mystified it becomes, quickly… not sure if I am articulating this correctly, but prior to owning H bags I put H up on this pedestal and was almost intimidated by going to the store, the clientele, bags, the brand in general... now it just feels like a treat but, no where near as intimidating and as big of a deal as before. Specifically… as much as I love Birkins, they really are just a bag.

Surprised how much corner wear matters for Hermes handbags. Idk if my prior leather bags (Non Hermes) were curvier and I wasn't paying attention but scuffing/wear on corners seem to stick out more when I look in the Hermes pre-loved market.

Reactions: Mariapia and BKC
I shouldn't be surprised by this anymore, but the longevity of their products (durability) is wonderful. A bag I purchased (B35, Fjord) in 2009 is still going strong, is actually at the spa right now for some minor fixing, and I never babied it. This is my go-to travel/winter/workhorse bag. The cost may have been exorbitant but the cost/wear and functionality is worth it to me.