What do you think of designer watches?

My opinion is a big NO.

Designer items like handbags, clothes, shoes, etc are fine, they do keep their value quite well, they are well made, good quality and last lifetime if they are looked after properly. But when it comes to watches, the value is not outside, but inside. It is not important that much how they look and who designed that look, but what the heart of the watch is - the mechanism. Watchmaking is an art and you should look for the proper artists - you wouldn't buy a painting for 10k just because someone from LV created it, do you? You rather get it from an artist and for 10k you wouldn't pick any painting.

I personally wouldn't even look at designer watches. I rather buy a watch from an established watchmaking company.

My opinion is a big NO.

Designer items like handbags, clothes, shoes, etc are fine, they do keep their value quite well, they are well made, good quality and last lifetime if they are looked after properly. But when it comes to watches, the value is not outside, but inside. It is not important that much how they look and who designed that look, but what the heart of the watch is - the mechanism. Watchmaking is an art and you should look for the proper artists - you wouldn't buy a painting for 10k just because someone from LV created it, do you? You rather get it from an artist and for 10k you wouldn't pick any painting.

I personally wouldn't even look at designer watches. I rather buy a watch from an established watchmaking company.

What if all you care about is aesthetics?

@MaxDexter

Then buy it. I do care about it but I can get much better quality at the fraction of the price. And quality is more important to me. I rather buy a Seiko, Orient or Citizen than a designer watch. And Seiko, Orient or Citizen are not ugly at all on my opinion.

We are all different about what we like and how we want to represent ourselves by the items we wear/cary :smile:

I agree with @ElenaAlex Buy from companies that specialize and are known for what they produce. Especially with watches, I prefer a company that has a history in horology.

If aesthetics are the ONLY factor, then I wouldn’t expect it to last long or be of good quality, so wouldn’t pay much at all. Watches from high end designers like a Chanel J12 probably have pretty decent components but I think most designer watches are poorly made. Give me a Citizen EcoDrive over a Michael Kors any day.

Reactions: keodi and ElenaAlex
If you just care about looks, don't get an automatic, quartz watches should last you well even if it's generic.

In the end watches just decorate our wrists anyway. A $10 digital watch does the job just as well (perhaps more accurately) as the most expensive one. We don't even rely on it nowadays since we always carry phones! So get what you love, no problem with that.

I like the look of some designer watches, however if I am spending that much I might as well get a premium watch brand. I want it to last, I could change my mind so want it to be a timeless piece.

Out of the designer watches, Chanel would probably be the only that I would settle for. I think they use their same manufacturing house as Richard Mille (or did). I read that one of their models (not sure if it applies to all their watches) is made in Switzerland by hand, takes 2 months (could argue that their watch is worth it for their craftsmanship over their classic handbags given that bags are not made by hand).
I still don’t think they are worth their full price, I’ve seen Chanel watches in Costco (in the UK) for a good price and I was tempted, but I can’t settle.

Also worth looking into who manufactures the watches (I think Chanel now do their own, but you’d need to check for other designer brands). For example Fossil does Michael Kors. MK just adds the design / style. Similar to sunglasses, I think Luxottica designs and manufacturers Ray-bans, but also manufacturers Chanel sunglasses (+ other designer brands), and Chanel does the design / style element.

My opinion is a big NO.

I think I agree with this. I used to love Hermes but never bought because . I love Rado even though it’s not a huge name brand! The black and rose gold is just gorgeous. And obviously the Rolex, lady’s date just with rose gold... omg it’s amazing. I can’t find another watch that compares to it. I look at all the other way he’s, then put what I would have spent on it in savings for the date just. Although I did see a gorgeous Constantine in Carmel a few months ago.... I should’ve got it.

Just buy what you love and who cares what others think! It’s only a watch which in most cases is rarely noticed by others anyway. After years of wearing fashion watches from the likes of Gucci and Michele I now have a Cartier Panthere, but it is generally hidden by the sleeves of my clothes and I have only had one comment on it since I bought it (from an old lady who didn’t notice the brand but said how difficult it is to find smaller watches now that watches with large dials are fashionable!). This suits me as I like to be as discreet as possible with my more expensive pieces, so as not to draw too much attention to myself.

And on the subject of my Panthere, even though it’s Cartier, true watch enthusiasts would look down their noses at it as it’s a quartz model and not automatic. I don’t care as I’m not super into watches, I just want it to look classy and elegant on my wrist and have a ‘good’ watch as part of my wider jewellery collection.

Unless you can afford the likes of a Patek you will never have a truly superb watch (on all levels) anyway. Most brands are just window dressing. You may as well get what you like and will enjoy wearing, fashion brand or ‘real’ watch brand.

I’m torn between a fashion watch and “real” watch brand too. I love the look of the Hermès Cape Cod. But, I can’t find any information about the movement inside, or who manufactures it. Other than Rolex, what other “real” watch brands should I look at? I’ve been looking at Cartier Tank, and Omega Aqua terra. I think I will go for quartz. Are there any other “real” watch brands I should consider in the $3k range?

I’m torn between a fashion watch and “real” watch brand too. I love the look of the Hermès Cape Cod. But, I can’t find any information about the movement inside, or who manufactures it. Other than Rolex, what other “real” watch brands should I look at? I’ve been looking at Cartier Tank, and Omega Aqua terra. I think I will go for quartz. Are there any other “real” watch brands I should consider in the $3k range?

The Hermes Cape Cod is a beautiful watch (I used to have one and miss it) but would fall into the fashion watch category I think, as despite being from a luxury brand like Hermes it isn’t made by an actual watchmaker brand. Ditto the Cartier Tank.

Within a £3k budget I would personally look at Omega or Tag. If you are willing to buy preowned that would also open up some more options in your budget.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and papertiger
The Hermes Cape Cod is a beautiful watch (I used to have one and miss it) but would fall into the fashion watch category I think, as despite being from a luxury brand like Hermes it isn’t made by an actual watchmaker brand. Ditto the Cartier Tank.

Within a £3k budget I would personally look at Omega or Tag. If you are willing to buy preowned that would also open up some more options in your budget.
Thanks. Cartier Tank isn’t made by an actual watchmaker? I thought Cartier is considered to be one of the true watchmakers. Which Cartier styles ought I look at, that isn’t made like the Tank/Cape Cod? (If price were no object).

I do like the aqua terra, but I hesitate because it looks so sporty. I’ll go have a look at tags.

I would love to buy preowned, but when the battery stops, I don’t know if I have the courage to bring a preowned watch to the boutique to have the battery changed/or serviced, if need be. Do Cartier and Hermès boutiques look down on people who bring in preowned watches not bought new from their store? Maybe I just need to have a thicker skin haha.

Thanks. Cartier Tank isn’t made by an actual watchmaker? I thought Cartier is considered to be one of the true watchmakers. Which Cartier styles ought I look at, that isn’t made like the Tank/Cape Cod? (If price were no object).

I do like the aqua terra, but I hesitate because it looks so sporty. I’ll go have a look at tags.

I would love to buy preowned, but when the battery stops, I don’t know if I have the courage to bring a preowned watch to the boutique to have the battery changed/or serviced, if need be. Do Cartier and Hermès boutiques look down on people who bring in preowned watches not bought new from their store? Maybe I just need to have a thicker skin haha.

I don’t see why they would care as it is not a free service.

Just bring the watch in and I’m sure someone will be happy to help at the store.

HI PF! I have a big birthday coming up and have decided on a watch :smile: I am torn between two very different watches: IWC Portugieser rose gold and Cartier Tank Francaise-solid rose gold medium. I currently own a Louis Cartier tank with alligator band. Any thoughts on which way to go? I will add I looked an literally every brand so these are the two finalist :smile:

Attachments

• IWC2.jpg
    IWC2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IWC1.jpg
    IWC1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 67
  • CT1.jpg
    CT1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 66
  • CT2.jpg
    CT2.jpg