What do you think of 2nd hand designer bags?

Hana1234

Sep 23, 2019
I was just wondering what people’s thoughts are of buying second hand?
I generally buy brand new if there the classic items so I no there in perfect condition. I also buy second hand (authenticated) designer bags especially if they don’t sell the particular bag any more or it’s not really fashionable/out of season since I don’t follow trends so it doesn’t really bother me. :biggrin:

does any one else but second hand? :smile:

I think it’s great that the 2nd hand market exists. It allows great savings if one is looking for a certain bag. But for some brands or models the 2nd hand prices are so ridiculously high that I’d rather pay the few hundreds more and get a brand new bag. Sometimes buying new is even cheaper than used bags!
Personally if I want to buy second hand, the bag needs to be in excellent condition and at least 30% discounted from retail price. I must say that I am based in the US and travel through Europe once a year where the prices are already 30% cheaper than here. So whenever I find a bag on sites like FP I tell myself “I can buy it new in Paris or London for cheaper”

I rarely pay full price anyway... Either I wait for winter or summer sales or I buy second hand.
In both cases, the bag has to be on my wish list.
I had wanted a Noé bag for months and found it, unexpectedly, in a consignment store in town .
They had other LV bags I wasn't interested in in spite of great prices and designs, and I passed.:smile:

It depends on how much less they are. I will not buy preloved if it is within a few hundred of retail.
Almost all my slg’s are new from boutiques. Unless the item is no longer being made, I would rather pay retail and have it new.

When I can pay $1000 + less though for a bag in mint condition - I buy preloved usually! I like FP the best because of the return policy.

Reactions: missie1
I prefer buying new, since the price difference for preloved bags tends to be slight enough that I would rather pay for peace of mind and newness. If it was a significant savings, I’d consider it.

I’m too OCD to purchase bags used. I’ve had enough trouble with SAs from stores trying to sell new merchandise that already has excessive wear. Moreover you don’t where it’s been (public bathroom floor?).

However for those that aren’t as insane as I, they can save a bundle buying gently used and it’s more sustainable that way to boot!

Reactions: Devyn Danielle
I try to buy everything used if I can, however I’ll only buy “very good” or “like new” condition items. Clothing (except for underwear and shoes), vehicles, furniture (excluding items like mattresses), appliances, etc. Purses are no exception.

I’m also the type to recycle and upcycle/repurpose things though. Greener planet and more green in the bank!

I have only ever bought new. I love going into the various stores to look and browsing online. I do like a bargain though. I like the fact I can be sure my bag will be in perfect condition and that no one else has used it. To me, new bags smell exquisitely of thick luxurious leather (not sure if that makes me a bit odd?!).

I can’t be bothered with eBay to buy or sell. I’m sure there are great bargains but for me it’s not worth the hassle/risk. I have seen wonderful preloved bags online though so can see why others do buy that way.

I buy most of my Bottega Veneta bags preowned the resale value is very low. Living driving distance to Fashionphile’s HQ is a huge benefit for me, I get to inspect and try on the bags before I buy them. My other bags I buy new but usually on clearance, fortunately I’m patient and can wait for a great sale. If my taste was Chanel or LV I would probably buy new because of all the fakes. I too usually don’t bother with eBay, but occasionally the bay sucks me in and I live to regret it.

I try to buy everything used if I can, however I’ll only buy “very good” or “like new” condition items. Clothing (except for underwear and shoes), vehicles, furniture (excluding items like mattresses), appliances, etc. Purses are no exception.

I’m also the type to recycle and upcycle/repurpose things though. Greener planet and more green in the bank!

So do I! Agreed with passion!

Reactions: mrs.JC
I buy bags (and many other items) used. There is so much stuff out there that is in excellent condition at a fraction of the price langusihing. If it's 80% its original condition and only 10% or less of its new retail price (like many bags are), then isn't that a good reason? In terms of hygiene - if you can eat with your hands after they've gone places, then obviously you have cleaning apparatus and know how to use them. Well, use them.

I was just wondering what people’s thoughts are of buying second hand?
I generally buy brand new if there the classic items so I no there in perfect condition. I also buy second hand (authenticated) designer bags especially if they don’t sell the particular bag any more or it’s not really fashionable/out of season since I don’t follow trends so it doesn’t really bother me. :biggrin:

does any one else but second hand? :smile:
All you have to do is look at the number of TPFers posting on the "authenticate this" threads to know pre-loved is alive and well.