What do you say when buyer asks why you are selling?

I guess my only aversion to saying that I'm selling to make a profit is that it seems like this fact should be obvious (since I'm selling the items NWT). So when people ask why I'm selling, I feel like they want to hear some other reason. Meh. I guess I just won't worry about it, but really, I do get asked this, like, every time I sell something. I find it interesting that others don't.

I'm very honest with people who asks those questions. If I'm reselling, I tell them I am a reseller and I sell for profit. If it's a personal bag I just say I'm selling it for whatever reason I'm selling it for.

If the bags are new I just say I found some great deals and am passing them along. If they are used I just tell them the truth. I found a bag I like better, I bought it but never used it...whatever. Most eBayers just want to make sure the bag is authentic and in the condition stated in the auction. If you state in your auction that the bag is guaranteed authentic and as described or your money back you shouldn't have many questions.

What I notice is this: People who put a reason for selling in their listings, no matter what the reason is, get a lower ending price for their auctions. Whether the reason is "cleaning out closet", "lost interest in item", "I need to buy something else" " I have a health emergency" or whatever reason...is not as good as not stating any reason...

This holds true for bags, clothing, electronics, etc etc....

I've been asked this question a few times and usually do not respond. To me, that type of question is foolish, invasive and nosy. To me, they should just be happy you ARE listing it. Why should they care why you are listing it?!

I would be afraid to ask that type of question if I were really interested in buying it. I would think that a question like that could in fact backfire and get the seller to think to themselves, "Yeah, why AM I listing this? It's a great item. I'm going to keep it!"

i think it's a perfectly legitimate question....i have asked sellers this to see if i get the sense that they are selling their own bags or if they are trying to dump a whackload of fake goods...and there's nothing wrong with an answer of trying to make a profit or trying to clean out your closet....usually, i ask when the starting price is unbelievably low...."so, do you mind telling me why you are selling this genuine Prada/Hermes/YSL for $200?? " - when you could get atleast $1000 for it?? - i never thought it was a rude question. ?

^^ I agree. I do not think people are trying to be rude when they ask this question. I think they are just trying to make sure they are not buying a fake bag. I would think that they are asking that question because they just want to know as much about the bag as possible. I'm sure it's not to be nosy, because really, why would they care? I think it's more out of concern of being scammed. I just think the more the buyer knows about the bag, the more confident they feel in making the purchase.

You could always say You are a personal shopper for shhh you cant say who, and couldnt decide on colour, and ended up buying a choice of colours and you are selling the surplus!!!! LOLOL

People will probably be flocking to buy your items, because they were potentially bought for an "A~Lister".

I am obviously taking my bedtime reading seriously here. Sophie Kinsella :smile:

Maybe they're just concerned that it was a final sale item and had damage, couldn't be returned for any other reason, etc. Just say you're 'passing on a deal.' :yes: