What do you give up to save for a bag?

I just finished reading Confessions of a Shopaholic again and I think that book was about me. Seriously, everytime I save any money I end up splurging twice as much as a reward for my "frugality". It's really sad . . . but I am trying to do better by not going out to eat or ordering in, spending less on clothes (my other addiction), not buying stuff until I really need it, going out less, things like that. I thought by not having a car, I wouldn't be tempted to buy a lot of stuff but online shopping is the devil :smile:
Especially sample sales!

It's funny people around me always think I'm "spoiled and rich" or some other lame stereotype that really they have no reason to even judge or talk about - but when it comes down to it instead of going into Target every week and dropping 50 bucks or eating every meal out or filling up my gas tank every five minutes, I'm buying a bag maybe once a month.

Exactly! :yes: I go on vacations every 2-3 months and occasionally splurge on a handbag (although I've been refraining from the latter due to house repair expenses), but I can do this because:
  • I quit shopping every weekend and buying random clothes.
  • I don't go to bars like a lot of my friends, and I only drink Brita/tap water -- no daily coffees or bottled water for me. It's healthier & cheaper! :tup:
  • We watch movies via GreenScene (a Netflix competitor) instead of going out to the movies.

For me, it's worth giving up those things so that I can spend the money on things that I enjoy more.

1. I do my own mani's and pedi's. Took a while to get it right, and you MUST use quality products, but I love saving big $$ on them. Plus mine aren't rushed or sloppy!

2. I buy healthy foods and make a few servings at a time. Then I wrap them - it keeps me from raiding the fridge or grabbing take out for "quick food".

3. I pack my lunch, and DHs lunch too! We're too busy to eat out usually, so I keep lots of fresh favourites at home and it keeps the temptation away.

4. We make our own Starbucks now in takeaway mugs. That one alone saves enough to blow my mind.

5. I buy all the basics at Costco. I mean, I WILL use 50 rolls of toilet paper eventually! LoL

I don't go out to eat (being married to a chef is helpful). I make coffee at work instead of buying a latte on the way in. Finally, I make sure that I budget for any new purchase and never buy on impulse.

Pack my lunch
Park in the far lot at work, instead of the garage. ($5 per day)
Pack my lunch
Cut back on yoga ($15 per class) and work out on my own
Sell bags on ebay

No eating out. No fancy coffees. Clothing and handbags only on sale. Stopped coloring my hair: now's that a fortune saved! Buy everything on my Amex and pay it off every month, earning points to use for vacation travel. Dropped the country club membership.

I bring bag lunches to work and school instead of buying lunch. I also don't buy coffee at Starbucks or drinks at Jamba Juice. I know it doesn't seem like much, but $5-$10 a day really adds up. :tup:

I get Tano bags for free, so I dont need to save up for bags :smile: I save up for clothing, though.

I dont buy expensive clothes, but I buy too many inexpensive clothes. I have an insatiable appetite for new clothes.

I limit my shoe purchases to one -or maybe two, if the price is really right- pairs per season. That's IT.

I NEVER have my nails done- I do them myself if absolutely needed a few times a year.

I only get my hair cut twice a year (by my niece for free) and get my hair colored 3 x a year.

I skipped going to the dentist for the past 5.5 years, but I just went last week (finally) and got slammed for almost $1,000 for cleaning, 3 cavities and a new cap on my front tooth. I guess that backfired!

I almost NEVER eat out

I NEVER go out with friends- they always come over to my house for dinner. A delicious pasta and 2 bottles of my "house" red wine costs me about $20- a lot less than a night on the town!

I stock up at the supermarket when things I buy go on sale.

I dont buy anything for my house, myself, my huz or my kids that will not truly be USED.

I make my own latte every morning and afternoon. No starbucks for me!

I stay out of target (that place is like a drug to me)
I try to pack my lunch everyday
I stay away from the vending machine
I save all of my change

Saving change is the best!! Every time hubby and I have any spare change we put it in a 5 gallon water jug. Last year we cashed in the change and had well over $700 and it was only 1/4 of the way full! Dropping change in a jug is great because you're glad to get rid of it from your wallet/purse (weight) and it's easy to forget it so you're not obsessing over the amount.

Hubby and I only buy things we need, not want. Sometimes we splurge but it's on things we will always use. :yes:

i think you should go into chanel with a massive jar full of change and start browsing the most expensive bags.:lol:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I almost did that when I was a teenager. I saved the equivalent of $1 bills to buy a jacket which was very fashionable at the time. When I had the right amount I went to the shop and bought it, counting each single bill in front of the astonished saleperson. It was fun, thought :graucho:

Apart from this, I go for quality over quantity. I stopped buying random clothes every weekend and I select stuff I really want. I also buy only one or two very good pair of shoes at the beginning of each season, rather than waiting for the sales to stock up with leftover items. Buying at the end-of-season sales is the worst possible way of spending too much money, unless you have your target items already selected.

I don't want to give up clothes or shoes, because for me the bag is the final touch of a well-stocked wardrobe. I would feel embarassed to go around wearing cheap clothes and shoes and a very expensive bag... but this is just my approach, obviously. And if it means I'll never be "trendy" (because I am never buying the "it" bag of the season) I truly don't care. Style lasts forever, fashion only one season.