What do you consider the BEST *first* designer handbag purchase?

shannyn92

Dec 2, 2009
I think I'm ready to take the plunge. I'm quite young, but I've saved up enough from my part time job to buy a nice one, but I want to find the PERFECT one! Any help would be lovely :smile:

Mulberry Bayswater in oak. Can be smart or casual, is practical, will suit your personal style whatever that style may be, is iconic, gets better with age, will last you for years and if you ever wanted to sell it you'd get a decent price. But you won't ever want to sell it once you own it!
Have fun deciding!

I would recommend a MBMJ. It's young, fresh and while it is around a lot, the bags are well made and fresh looking! Go to a department store and have a blast!

what styles do you like (hobo, satchel, etc)
what materials do you prefer (leather, coated canvas, etc)
hardware? (lots, or minimal?)
price range?
looking for any specific brand or does it matter?

I'm sure if you provided a bit more info on what type you were looking for we could come up with some good suggestions :tup:

I have to say, if I were to do it all over again, it would be an LV Speedy 30 in Damier Ebene. There's something so chic and timeless about it, I think it's an excellent way to whet one's appetite, so to speak :biggrin:

It makes me sad to say it, but I don't think I'll ever get one - I feel like it's not right for my lifestyle or something!! I don't understand it, but I just haven't ever gotten one. Grrrr...Maybe I should go back to the boutique and try it on again???

If you are going for the premium designers, then I would suggest a Balenciaga city. It looks fun and young and it too has a good resale value if you decide move on to something else. It also fits a lot of stuff but does not look too bulky. The black fabric lining is easy to keep clean and the bag is very lightweight. The city bag has also been around a while and I do not think that it is going anywhere anytime soon, so it would be a good investment, one that you propably would want to wear later one too.

I do not know what age you are, but if you are really young, I would stay away from anything that looks too ladylike, because you have to be a certain age to pull those bags off without looking silly.