What do you consider the BEST *first* designer handbag purchase?

Thank you all so much for the wonderful replies! I really appreciate it. Some of you are asking for more information, so:
price range: anything up to around 2500
type: I really don't have much of a type, because I'm all about trying new things! I just want something a college student could carry around, ya know? Oh and I'm planning on making this purchase when I go to California at the end of this month, so there's no shortage of great stores!! :smile:

thanks again!!

I would definitely suggest something in a neutral yet age-appropriate color that you can get a lot of use out of with your wardrobe. In addition, I would take into account your personality - are you the type of person who feels comfortable carrying a handbag that others instantly recognize as coming from a particular designer? Or do you prefer something that is still clearly well-made and chic, but that is not quite as recognizable?

Taking a moment to answer these questions frankly will probably help. I would also strongly recommend that you buy a bag from a authorized retailer with excellent return and repair policies - $2,500 is a very generous budget for your first designer bag, so you want to make sure that you get something that the company will back up 100%, even years after you have purchased your bag.

Final thought (and I hope that you don't mind me saying this :flowers:) - since your budget is ample, how about buying two bags from two different designers instead of just one? You can easily get two top-quality designer bags on your budget! Maybe a hobo and a satchel?

Just a thought...Good luck, and most of all have fun! :smile:

If I was your age I would get the LV Neverfull. It is cute, age appropriate and you will be able to tote around a laptop, books, etc. I would also save the rest of your hard earned money for going out when you get to college.

I agree with the two bag approach. LV Neverfull would be a great choice for someone entering college-- LV canvas is indestructible and easy to maintain and the Neverfull is a great everyday tote. For the other, I'd probably get something more fun and funky.