Food What Can't You Eat? (I can't stand it!)

Mayonnaise! Isn’t that odd? :lol:

I don’t mind when it’s used to make a flavorful aioli or when it’s in a dish like chicken salad, but for some reason I get queasy when I see it smeared on the bread of a sandwich. It’s the strangest thing!

I have ones people may understand, so I'll skip to the funny ones:

- Fake watermelon--this one makes me mad. Watermelon does not taste like that, and why does the smell get trapped inside your nose forever :lol:
- Apple Jacks
- Tootsie Rolls
- Those strawberry candies wrapped in foil resembling an actual strawberry
- Black and orange peanut butter taffy
- Ham
- Breakfast sausage
- Any sweet + meat combinations

I hate pumpkin, even can't take the smell.
Where was my mind? I would eat tons of pumpkin to avoid cumin.
Caraway is no problem, but cumin? Even a tiny amount ruins a meal for me.
In case of pumpkin, I was forced to eat it as a child, so that's why, but I don't know why cumin is such a big problem.

@mscupcake: What is fake Watermelon? I tried to google it but, yeah, I don't think you ate some decoration? :biggrin:

salad with too much dressing; commercial caesar salad is usually terrible

overly authentic Asian food (I’m Asian). The small dishes in Korean restaurants are not my thing. Or the dish with pork and oysters. Kimchee. The Uber fishy fermented or sour dishes. . . Congee; dried fish. Balut (shudders )

chicken breast unless it’s a touch under cooked to account for carry over heat turning it dry

salmon roe (but I like caviar)

I’m not crazy about canned beans and prefer them cooked from dried beans

authentic black garlic or curried ramen ( embarrassed to say I like the cheap ramen bowls you can
get in the middle of the night on long haul trips to Asia)

overly strong onion or garlic

run of the mill store bought pita, wraps, or boboli pizza crusts, ugh.

fruit flavored bagels

dark colored pate de fruits (prefer light )

fake strawberry or lime flavors

super gamey venison or hare

since the mad cow scare Years ago, I avoid sweetbreads
(but I love foie gras etc. . . or chicken liver, the most exalted being Heston blumenthals meat fruit)

not crazy about steak tartare or kibbeh nayeh, but I like carpaccio

chewy sashimi (some forms of white fish are chewier) Not crazy about abalone either

overcooked eggs esp. hard boiled

i avoid brown rice which I think of as prison food (I’d rather have bulgur)

Last edited:
I guess most people love garlic and onions… If you put a little bit for the taste it is ok with me, put in Germany they just put tons in everything and I get severe diarrhea from it besides hating the mouth smell.
That sounds terrible. I bet it is hard to avoid when you're eating out. Speaking of Germany, I hate sauerkraut.

My daughter used to order a hamburger with onion, then pull the onion off. She just wanted a hint of onion.

Reactions: Vanilla Bean