What bag to take when travelling to unsafe place?

dianahuang

HERMES addicts
O.G.
Feb 22, 2011
Ladies, i am going to travel to one city that right now having many mugging and robbery issues :tdown:. And i'm being paranoia right now and confused what bag should i take? I like to take the bag with long strap when traveling. My bags that have the long strap are only Alexander Wang rockie, Hermes herbag, and Chloe marcie...I asked DH what bag to take for my paranoia syndrome, but he said that all of the bags that i mention are same, they all expensive designer bags. So what do you guys suggest? or should i buy another bag between that less than $300 such as MBMJ or MK maybe? :wacko:
I have MBMJ canvas neon tote but it doesn't have long strap. Have you guys ever get this syndrome? thanks a lot ;)

I like to take a tote, especially for the plane (to fit my iPad in, etc) and usually take my LV Cabas Mezzo, however for my last trip I had my concerns about robbery as well as weather issues and I took a plain Coach outlet bag that was a light tan that went with everything. I did pack a nice MK clutch for evenings out at the resort. Don't risk the nice bag if you are worried. For me it felt like I was underdressed but I wasn't concerned that I was drawing unwanted attention. Left my engagement ring at home too!

Just shove everything in your pockets. Wear cargo pants/shorts big enough to fit everything you need. If you want to bring a bag, leave your pretty purses at home and bring a cheap canvas or PVC bag instead. Go to American Eagle, TJ Maxx/Marshalls, and/or Target (or hell, even Goodwill) and buy their cheapo purses to take to vacation.

My parents always warn me to NOT bring designer purses to anywhere that's not safe. When I went on a Cruise to Mexico/Mexican Riviera, I left my pretty purses on the ship and only took a cheap bag with very little money whenever we docked to those islands. If that country is notorious for theft, then either buy a pair of cargo pants (either for you or DH) and just carry what you need in those pockets, or buy a cheap $20 or under crossbody bag. If those locals see you with those designer purses, there's a high chance you'll get mugged/robbed or worse.

Good luck on whatever you choose!

Definitely not the Herbag; it doesn't even close at the top so no. I agree with girlfriday and anthrosphere; buy a cheap, zipped satchel (military/ camping supplies always have good ones) for extra cardigan/water bottle/maps - and keep your money and ID ON you somehow. How many stories are ther on here alone of daytime robberies in places like Paris (where, btw, my mum caught a girl reaching into her concealed pocket cargo vest pocket!)

Good luck! If your up for it, if and when you find a stylish functional travel bag for cheap, show us what you got! I bought a men's Balenciaga messenger for the purposes you're describing but I think I'd go to the surplus store for a canvas option now.

I agree with all those who said to get something cheap and non-designer for travel to anywhere that isn't 'safe'. I don't even feel comfortable in safe areas if my bag stands out. A few years ago I took a Coach bag to a part of Canada where they are rare and felt so self-conscious I went to Winners and got a Nine West bag to use instead. Not unsafe but just like people were staring at me.

I think we should be realistic about theft. Thieves couldn't care less what bag we are carrying. I read stories in the paper about bag snatches and I can be sure most of the bags were not designer or in any way expensive. I travel quite often and just make sure my bag is practical for my purposes and stay alert! My bag of choice right now is a lightweight leather Burberry crossbody. Paranoia is not a good look!

You aren't paranoid in this situation, actually. Get a simple and sturdy crossbody bag from a company like Baggallini. If it's a location where it's known that thieves slash handbag straps and run, get a slashproof bag made by Pac Safe. I use these for a lot of international travel and focus on not drawing attention to myself.

Behave cautiously, be alert in every way, and then you've done all you can.

Thank you ladies for the nice comment. The cargo pants is a great idea... I will consider it and also consider to buy cheap no brand bag :smile: i agree that the theft won't care about the bag either it's a designer or non designer, they just looking for what's inside on the bag... Being aware is a great thing to do... Thank you anyway :smile:

You aren't paranoid in this situation, actually. Get a simple and sturdy crossbody bag from a company like Baggallini. If it's a location where it's known that thieves slash handbag straps and run, get a slashproof bag made by Pac Safe. I use these for a lot of international travel and focus on not drawing attention to myself.

Behave cautiously, be alert in every way, and then you've done all you can.

+1 I should have read your comment first

The best thing to do is purchase a bag without any type of logos or distinguishing details advertising what it is. The next is to have a secure bag one that has a zippered top and a flap that buckles up over it. Then get a crossbody, so the bag can remain in front and in your sight at all times. If it is a short journey with some sightseeing planned, just obtain a use once handbag.

if you or your DH doesn't mind wearing one, the Fanny packs always works, too. You can pair this bag with your cargo pants if you need more pocket space.. :P Amazon sells a bunch of them. You can probably find them in sporting good stores and even in Goodwill, too.

The best thing to do is purchase a bag without any type of logos or distinguishing details advertising what it is. The next is to have a secure bag one that has a zippered top and a flap that buckles up over it. Then get a crossbody, so the bag can remain in front and in your sight at all times. If it is a short journey with some sightseeing planned, just obtain a use once handbag.

I agree. Maybe something discreet like a nylon Longchamp or LeSportsac (or MZ Wallace, but don't know how easy those are to get outside of the US). I usually wear something small and crossbody with my valuables in it under my jacket or sweater. If I need more space to carry a sweater or snacks or a guidebook, I'll use any fabric tote, open or not, because if those get stolen, it's not the end of the world.

My friend's wallet was stolen out of her zippered purse, while it was on her arm, in a crowded store.

I think we should be realistic about theft. Thieves couldn't care less what bag we are carrying. I read stories in the paper about bag snatches and I can be sure most of the bags were not designer or in any way expensive. I travel quite often and just make sure my bag is practical for my purposes and stay alert! My bag of choice right now is a lightweight leather Burberry crossbody. Paranoia is not a good look!

It's not the theives wanting the bag. I would worry about being profiled if I was carrying a super expensive bag, wearing designer shoes and clothes, precious jewelry..etc. Leave the lux goods at home. Criminals stalk and watch their prey. I have a job where they do it to me all day; just watching for any kind of change in me--it's a possible opportunity....for whatever.