What bag to take when travelling to unsafe place?

Just carry a simple non descript bag that has a lot of compartments, preferably water proof and that can be carried more than one way. My husband carries a backpack for our camera-not a camera bag- and I usually carry a purse that I can also wear crossbody. We do not bring our wallets, it goes inside the safe with our passports. We keep most of our money -a little more than enough for that day's itinerary- in our jean pockets plus photocopies of our ID and passport. My bag only contains an equivalent of 10$ in local currency, a bottle of water, brochures, wipes and hand sanitizer.

There are countries though, where I feel safer when I travel. Singapore is one of them. Almost every body and locals carry designer stuff almost everywhere.

I couldn't have said it better myself!
I know we all love being fashionable, but I can tell you I have never, never, never carried a handbag on any of my travels. It always has been a money belt, under my shirt. Even wearing the money belt so that it's visible makes one look like a tourist.

I've read a lot on this forum about people carrying expensive handbags on their travels. Maybe I carry a money belt because I usually take non-pampering vacations that some would consider somewhat rugged: like spending 4 days in the Sahara Desert in Tunisia, taking a felucca down the Nile, hiking through Peru's Machu Picchu or paddling a canoe through the Amazon jungle.

Especially if you're going to be doing a lot of walking, even through a city, any handbag can become very heavy on one's shoulders after a few hours. That's when you start to not pay attention and become a potential purse snatching victim.

Go with a waterproof money belt to wear under your shirt.
And for larger items, carry a non-designer backpack.

Enjoy your trip! ;););)

I could have written this. At home I love my designer bags. For travelling I either go to North American wilderness areas or developing countries. I have NEVER considered bringing a designer bag on my vacations.

I understand there are vast economic differences depending on the place-- it's just I'm a bit surprised that people would be venturing to third-world environments to have a nice, relaxing vacation. Having to always be on guard with your belongings seems like the opposite of what a vacation should be.

Some of the most amazing places in the world are in developing nations. I travel to see ancient ruins, beautiful scenery and wild animals. My travels have taken me to Ecuador, Peru, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Turkey. Laying on a beach with a drink sounds like the most boring vacation ever to me.

I think we should be realistic about theft. Thieves couldn't care less what bag we are carrying. I read stories in the paper about bag snatches and I can be sure most of the bags were not designer or in any way expensive. I travel quite often and just make sure my bag is practical for my purposes and stay alert! My bag of choice right now is a lightweight leather Burberry crossbody. Paranoia is not a good look!

This!

Get a simple Longchamp Lepliage and leave your paranoia at home. If you don't, you won't enjoy your trip. What's the point of going there if you can't relax and enjoy? The worst thing you can do when in an unsafe place is look scared. It makes you an easy target.

Last edited:
I'm currently waiting for a tan leather 'Metro bag'. I expect this to be good for walking in out-of-the-way places (like the woods near my house), as well as running errands. Not too big and not too small. I don't get too worried about handbag safety, but I also like the idea of a 'non-labelly', discreet but stylish bag. I got this one at www.scaramanga.co.uk

This!

Get a simple Longchamp Lepliage and leave your paranoia at home. If you don't, you won't enjoy your trip. What's the point of going there if you can't relax and enjoy? The worst thing you can do when in an unsafe place is look scared. It makes you an easy target.

No offense, but it really depends on where she goes to. I used to live in Colombia and everyone in my family puts on $2 jewelry and carries a China knockoff or cheapo bag when they go outside. It's a different story when they meet somewhere private.. but in some places it really is a bad idea to carry valuables around, and this includes "statement bags" like the Le Pliage - evven if it's "relatively affordable" for your own standards.
However if it's lets say Rome or Paris, you should be fine... unless you're using the Metro after 10pm.

I would go with a LeSport Sac. Zappos carries the brand.

I bought a plain black tote (they come in many colors and sizes) so that it doesn't catch attention. If I want to bring something a little nicer for evenings, I also bring something black, and small so it's not flashy. Let us know what you pick :smile:

I travel a lot (I travel via air domestically twice a week for work and try to take at least 2-3 international trips a year for vacation) and if I usually just take my large LV Neverfull GM because it can take a little more abuse than my leather bags, plus it's huge and I can toss anything into it.

I would take the tote, and try not to worry too much. Most cities are safe as long as you know your surroundings. If you walk alone at night, try to make sure you stick to well populated, well lit streets instead of dark sketchy ones...don't go to shady areas, and try to keep aware of your surroundings to avoid pick pockets.

Stay safe!

No offense, but it really depends on where she goes to. I used to live in Colombia and everyone in my family puts on $2 jewelry and carries a China knockoff or cheapo bag when they go outside. It's a different story when they meet somewhere private.. but in some places it really is a bad idea to carry valuables around, and this includes "statement bags" like the Le Pliage - evven if it's "relatively affordable" for your own standards.
However if it's lets say Rome or Paris, you should be fine... unless you're using the Metro after 10pm.

I lived in Colombia too and never had an issue. I suggested a Le Pliage because it is a nondescript, plastic looking bag. As others have mentioned, thieves most often don't know about good bags and are more likely to recognize bags with logos. It's the looking scared part that helps gives a person away.

I travel to Central and South America often and always carry a good yet nondescript leather bag and never had an issue. There are good and bad places in every country. Carrying valuables with you should vary according to the type of trip you're taking.

Hi Ladies, i just got back safely from my trip and thankfully God still bless me :smile: ... Finally i decided to took my alexander wang rockie with MBMJ canvas neon tote...so when i went to the mall i took my rockie, and when i went to eat in hawkers, i took my MBMJ neon tote. I might be over reacted and over thinking about what bag should i took to the unsafe place and i didn't realize that taking awang rockie is the problem for the airport security in the city i lived. They had re-scan my bag twice and said that i took bullets and it was forbidden :nogood: Thank God i can convince them that it's part of the bag :sneaky: Next time when i will do the travel, i should really consider what bag should i take to the place i go and the airport security indeed. ;)

Seriously a fake or a cheap bag!! I went to Mexico and I worried about my bags in the room the entire 10 long days!! Seriously my luggage and purse were the most expensive thing in the room. If your asking while still in the us it's a good idea to dig out those undesirable purses!

I really don't understand why you guys think that cross body bags are safe. They're just hanging on your body, waiting to be cut off It's extremely easy to cut them in crowded places. Honestly, I think these are the worst bags security wise, and totes too.

For me the safest bags are something like LV pouchettes with a chain attached (so it can't be cut like leather straps). No logos of course. I put a chain on my shoulder and have the bag under my arm, holding it closer to my body with the arm. I'm not sure if I explained it correctly to understand.
That way thieves can't snap it because I hold it with my arm. They can't cut the strap. Can't cut the material because the bag is small and almost all under my arm. Preferably with a zip closure but flaps can work too (like Chanel woc if you double the chain strap).

I have couple of bags like this and I use them quite often for traveling. Actually even if I travel to nice places, i put them in my H Birkin and use as a wallet the plane documents. After that I just leave my H in the hotel and use the pouchette when I walk around the city.