What are your impressions on the Epi Alma vs. the Birkin?

I love and adore the Alma. I love everything about it. If I had to cut my bags down drastically, my Almas would be my absolute last to go. I'm carrying my orange Alma today. I'm intrigued at the idea of a MM or GM. :smile: All of mine are PM.

I do like the Birkin but the exchange rate in my emotions between handing over that much money for the bag is unequal. It's great but not that great.

I love the Alma, I feel in Epi it's very stealth wealth and one of the chicest bags LV makes.

The Birkin.....I don't know. I agree it's become very showy and every reality TV star and her momma has one. Plus I find the whole process of getting one to be really intimidating. What size? What color? What leather? What hardware? And it's not like you can go in store and handle a bunch of them to get a feel for what will work best for you so you've gotta wing it and hope that the bag you *think* will work for you will. For me it's a bit much to go through for a bag.

i love the Alma, especially in Vernis.

as said above, the whole exclusivity of the Birkin has been ruined by the very fact that every tacky reality tv "star" has more than a few. the Epi Alma is understated and classy without screaming "look at my very expensive bag!"

I am quite young (22) and i have 2 Almas (one is in epic noir and the other is in Vernis Pomme) and 2 Birkins (both 35cm one is togo Etain and the other epsome Flamingo) to be honest both bags are very different from each other. IMO the almas that i own are more elegant than the birkins. For example i wear my firkin Etain with workout clothes all the time where i would feel a bit silly wearing workout clothes with the almas. Just my opinion of course. :smile:

I couldn't give a hoot about what anyone else thinks, but if I'm going for quality and luxury I want the best that I can afford that suits my aesthetic and lifestyle. Furthermore, I like having many options when it comes to my handbags so I don't think it has to be an either/or proposition. I must have a diverse collection.
I love both the Alma and Birkin but if I'm going to spend $5000+ on a bag I'm not spending it on LV. I like the clean, simple lines of the Birkin and the structured elegance of the Alma. However, IMO Hermes handbags are better made and will last a lifetime. So, I've got my Alma needs satisfied and a Birkin is up next. :tup:

Everyone has their preference but all the luggages I see on celebrities, even ladies with the Birkin has a LV luggage. Made of same canvas as the bags. Thats because LV has the best representIon for luggage and travel which last generations as well

LV does last and can equal to Hermes in terms of longevity, but material and details might be better with Hermes due to the price point

I do find Hermes does do well with leathers since the background for Hermes is equestrian

I love the Alma myself as I have one. But I definitely will not judge any one who wants a Birkin or has one. Also when we see people we have to remember we know nothing about that person to judge them in any way whether they should be carrying this bag or that! If you saw most of these people out side of business you'd never guess what their profession was - the old saying cannot judge a book by its cover. Got to be careful.

I am quite young (22) and i have 2 Almas (one is in epic noir and the other is in Vernis Pomme) and 2 Birkins (both 35cm one is togo Etain and the other epsome Flamingo) to be honest both bags are very different from each other. IMO the almas that i own are more elegant than the birkins. For example i wear my firkin Etain with workout clothes all the time where i would feel a bit silly wearing workout clothes with the almas. Just my opinion of course. :smile:

What a great point...it does depend on the daily needs as to which one is better suited and styled

I am always floored by a lady with a fresh white tailored shirt, jeans and a Birkin in hand

Drool worthy!

I love the Alma myself as I have one. But I definitely will not judge any one who wants a Birkin or has one. Also when we see people we have to remember we know nothing about that person to judge them in any way whether they should be carrying this bag or that! If you saw most of these people out side of business you'd never guess what their profession was - the old saying cannot judge a book by its cover. Got to be careful.

Very true...no judgments for sure on the choice..

Its whatever makes your heart flutter! :smile:

This is how I feel.

I used to be Obsessed with the Birkin-especially the HAC. But now, I don't feel compelled to spend $$$$$ for the bags. If I make more, I will still have to think about it.

At least for the Alma, you don't have to go through the games Hermes SA makes a customer go through for a high profile coveted item. At least for the U.S. lol

I so wish that part of getting the Birkin or the Kelly would change :sad:

I tried convincing myself to bite the billet and just see about one and be patient but thats just not me

I have to be the one to say which one and when, not the other way around, I have OCD...lol

Everyone has their preference but all the luggages I see on celebrities, even ladies with the Birkin has a LV luggage. Made of same canvas as the bags. Thats because LV has the best representIon for luggage and travel which last generations as well

LV does last and can equal to Hermes in terms of longevity, but material and details might be better with Hermes due to the price point

I do find Hermes does do well with leathers since the background for Hermes is equestrian
I'm not referring to luggage, but specifically handbags produced by LV in the last few years. IMO LVs quality has declined significantly in the last 10 years with mass production. By comparison Hermes is still produced in limited numbers, which is why they're so exclusive, and their quality control is superior.

Excellent point! And it's funny how folks always mention that celebs have ruined the Birkin's image when in reality I see way more celebs carryng LV of all sorts than Birkins. But no one sees that as a problem. Will someone poo-poo the Kardashians for having a Pegase every time they're photographed in an airport??? :biggrin:

Last edited:
I'm not referring to luggage, but specifically handbags produced by LV in the last few years. IMO LVs quality has declined significantly in the last 10 years with mass production. By comparison Hermes is still produced in limited numbers, which is why they're so exclusive, and their quality control is superior.

Handbags are the same material as the luggage was my point

The quality due to mass production for sure has its many issues and has declined...LV leathers are produced differently, once again...price points

Hermes recently had leather smell issue...so its not perfection either

I am certain due to the price points and quality of leather, Hermes has its better quality wins for sure

But longevity, LV has for certain not just Hermes

And Im not bashing or hating on Hermes pieces by no means

I've bought bags from LV over the past 10 years and i can say thankfully I haven't had an issue with any of them.

As far as the Epi Alma, I think this bag is super chic and stylish while being extremely durable and the perfect size. I have two Alma's and I just love how classy they look. The mono alma is my favorite with a nice patina the bag is just gorgeous. I don't really have much to say about the Birkin to be honest so will skip it.

I think the Alma and the Kelly are more of a matched set than the Alma and Birkin. The Birkin is more casual, boxy, and no option for a shoulder strap. The Birkin is probably more of a sister to the Speedy.

Alma PM is probably the only leather bag I would purchase from LV (I think their strength is canvas). As much as I love the Kelly, I think the price is like 12K right now, and it's not 6x as nice a bag as the Alma. The Alma is also easier to get into with the zipper closure, and there's no game to purchase it.

I think the Alma and the Kelly are more of a matched set than the Alma and Birkin. The Birkin is more casual, boxy, and no option for a shoulder strap. The Birkin is probably more of a sister to the Speedy.

Alma PM is probably the only leather bag I would purchase from LV (I think their strength is canvas). As much as I love the Kelly, I think the price is like 12K right now, and it's not 6x as nice a bag as the Alma. The Alma is also easier to get into with the zipper closure, and there's no game to purchase it.

Excellent! I have to agree I really believe LV strength is in the canvas bags. Not sure I would ever purchase LV in a leather big bag.

Last edited: