What are your impressions on the Epi Alma vs. the Birkin?

SpeedyLady37

Sep 26, 2013
I love love love both. I am still young and can't justify to own a Birkin yet. I will own one eventually when I establish my business! Since three years ago, I have been an avid fan of the Alma in Epi. I own three in the PM size: Black, Cyan and Coquelicot and one in the BB size in Black. They are sophisticated, understated, elegant and graceful, and can be used for casual, formal and professional occasions. The design is simply timeless and classic. All of the above applies for the Birkin too, but I feel that the Birkin speaks a different sense of maturity... something that I can't describe... :panic: The Alma is mature-looking too; to me, it gives a very casual chic and youthful vibe. I have owned so many other bags and have been slowly selling and downsizing my bag collection (sold 8 out of 16 already!). The Alma is the only absolute purse that I won't let go. I want more of her in different colors :P

I am just wondering what your impressions of both bags are? :smile::smile:

I am a huge fan of the Alma in Épi leather. It's such a fundamentally elegant bag, truly timeless, simple et practical. This bag is chic without trying hard. It's also virtually indestructible. I L❤️VE THE ALMA!

The Birkin is a status symbol for many women. It's a "showy" bag in my opinion, because it is so easily recognizable and unfortunately forever associated with the nouveaux riches of the past fifteen years. It screams "look I have a Birkin! I can afford Hermès!"

Is the Birkin a nice bag? Yes I think so. But when it comes to Hermès, I personally prefer the more conservative Kelly.

Let me clarify that many designer bags have fallen into the "status" pit. The LV NF is definitely one of them.

Great question as this was at one point my own curiosity~~

I adore the Alma, it is my HG

For me its simply the look and usage for my daily needs, the Alma is just perfect

Birkin is a beauty and has a allure all its own, but easy and comfortable wins me over every time

I have to be honest that the Birkin is a bit too elusive and exclusive for my lifestyle and needs as well

Interesting perspective! When I see women who are not at executive level professionally but are carrying the Birkin, I do feel that they are trying too hard. If she is well established, I think however the Birkin is grounding.

I love the Kelly as well - it gives a more casual vibe!

What do you think about the Alma? I see more and more women carrying the Alma now compared to three years ago. Do you think that it's a status bag?

I am a huge fan of the Alma in Épi leather. It's such a fundamentally elegant bag, truly timeless, simple et practical. This bag is chic without trying hard. It's also virtually indestructible. I L❤️VE THE ALMA!

The Birkin is a status symbol for many women. It's a "showy" bag in my opinion, because it is so easily recognizable and unfortunately forever associated with the nouveaux riches of the past fifteen years. It screams "look I have a Birkin! I can afford Hermès!"

Is the Birkin a nice bag? Yes I think so. But when it comes to Hermès, I personally prefer the more conservative Kelly.

Let me clarify that many designer bags have fallen into the "status" pit. The LV NF is definitely one of them.

Interesting perspective! When I see women who are not at executive level professionally but are carrying the Birkin, I do feel that they are trying too hard. If she is well established, I think however the Birkin is grounding.

I love the Kelly as well - it gives a more casual vibe!

What do you think about the Alma? I see more and more women carrying the Alma now compared to three years ago. Do you think that it's a status bag?

I think that all accessories are "status" symbols to an extent: financial, social, cultural, aesthetic, etc... Whatever we choose to wear is to project (consciously or unconsciously) a particular image to ourselves and to the world around us.

That being said, I think the Alma in Épi is relatively inconspicuous among the barrage of designer handbags. And I consider that a positive aspect!

Putting the price aside (which is the first thing that comes to mind as the vast price difference puts the two bags in a different league from each other -- as well as the long waiting list for the Birkin), these two bags are similar because they are hand carry only, except you can put a strap on the Alma. The jewelry on the Birkin makes it stand out more, the Alma is simpler with less obvious metal parts. Personally, I like the look of them both. I have bought and sold an alma because it just wasn't working for me, it was awkward to carry, couldn't fit a lot of my items in (I bought the PM) but looked really nice, undeniably. I look forward to one day carrying the Birkin, but only until I get it. I'm sure I'll find some cons about it, too. I hear it's heavy. Plus I might not get the color that I really, really wanted. I tend to love all bags but will find something that doesn't work :biggrin:

Putting the price aside (which is the first thing that comes to mind as the vast price difference puts the two bags in a different league from each other -- as well as the long waiting list for the Birkin), these two bags are similar because they are hand carry only, except you can put a strap on the Alma. The jewelry on the Birkin makes it stand out more, the Alma is simpler with less obvious metal parts. Personally, I like the look of them both. I have bought and sold an alma because it just wasn't working for me, it was awkward to carry, couldn't fit a lot of my items in (I bought the PM) but looked really nice, undeniably. I look forward to one day carrying the Birkin, but only until I get it. I'm sure I'll find some cons about it, too. I hear it's heavy. Plus I might not get the color that I really, really wanted. I tend to love all bags but will find something that doesn't work :biggrin:

The waiting list for the Birkin is a semi-myth. You can literally walk in an Hermès store and be lucky enough to buy a Birkin on the Spot. It's not unusual that the store receives a couple Birkins randomly. At least that's the way it is in France. However, you have to be ok with buying a yellow or orange Birkin, because you never know.

I love love love both. I am still young and can't justify to own a Birkin yet. I will own one eventually when I establish my business! Since three years ago, I have been an avid fan of the Alma in Epi. I own three in the PM size: Black, Cyan and Coquelicot and one in the BB size in Black. They are sophisticated, understated, elegant and graceful, and can be used for casual, formal and professional occasions. The design is simply timeless and classic. All of the above applies for the Birkin too, but I feel that the Birkin speaks a different sense of maturity... something that I can't describe... :panic: The Alma is mature-looking too; to me, it gives a very casual chic and youthful vibe. I have owned so many other bags and have been slowly selling and downsizing my bag collection (sold 8 out of 16 already!). The Alma is the only absolute purse that I won't let go. I want more of her in different colors :P

I am just wondering what your impressions of both bags are? :smile::smile:
It certainly sounds as if you are very confident in your personal style. Both Birkin and Alma are beautiful classics, yet have a very different aesthetic. My favorite Hermes style is the Kelly, but Birkin is exquisite. Though I don't own one, I do understand they are quite heavy. As far as the Alma is concerned, I adore that bag! It's classy, chic, elegant, and still manages to be understated. It exudes sophistication and can be worn day or evening by someone in any age group and in nearly any setting. The colors you own are gorgeous! I have two Alma BB's and I am looking to add an Alma PM in Epi. That said, I do prefer hand carry styles with some structure. Alma and Speedy are my absolute favorite LV styles. I recently purchased the SC PM in Galet, and it's perfection! When you know a style suits you, it makes perfect sense to continue purchasing and wearing it.

The waiting list for the Birkin is a semi-myth. You can literally walk in an Hermès store and be lucky enough to buy a Birkin on the Spot. It's not unusual that the store receives a couple Birkins randomly. At least that's the way it is in France. However, you have to be ok with buying a yellow or orange Birkin, because you never know.

Ya .. I can live with orange but not yellow :biggrin:

If you ever post your Alma collection I think I'll pass out lol. I like both bags a lot but I would be okay if I never got a Birkin bag. I prefer a few other Hermes bags over the Birkin but the Alma is my favorite LV bag.

Last edited:
I don't get the whole, elusive factor though

Not a fan of waiting and of taking a bag just because its available

I do understand the list for a limited edition and special orders but

Its just a bag after all, why would I want to just take a bag that isn't what I want exactly because its that elusive

To me thats a game to keep the interest high and I dont want to play

I go in...see and feel the bag, walk out with it, now that's satisfying and the way a fashion item experience should be

Its just a bag after all, why would I want to just take a bag that isn't what I want exactly because its that elusive

I go in...see and feel the bag, walk out with it, now that's satisfying and the way a fashion item experience should be

Of course! It's 100% marketing strategy!

This is how I feel.

I used to be Obsessed with the Birkin-especially the HAC. But now, I don't feel compelled to spend $$$$$ for the bags. If I make more, I will still have to think about it.

At least for the Alma, you don't have to go through the games Hermes SA makes a customer go through for a high profile coveted item. At least for the U.S. lol

I couldn't give a hoot about what anyone else thinks, but if I'm going for quality and luxury I want the best that I can afford that suits my aesthetic and lifestyle. Furthermore, I like having many options when it comes to my handbags so I don't think it has to be an either/or proposition. I must have a diverse collection.
I love both the Alma and Birkin but if I'm going to spend $5000+ on a bag I'm not spending it on LV. I like the clean, simple lines of the Birkin and the structured elegance of the Alma. However, IMO Hermes handbags are better made and will last a lifetime. So, I've got my Alma needs satisfied and a Birkin is up next. :tup: