Books & Music What are you reading right now??

I have mixed feelings about this one. If I had actually read it and not listened to it, I don't think I would have finished it or I would have probably skimmed through a lot of it. He needs a good editor.

Having said that, I did find myself wondering how it would all end because the premise is so engaging. I did enjoy the lead characters too so I let her read on to me fairly regularly. It did keep my interest to keep going and finish it.

I will say I was horribly disappointed in the ending since I saw most of it coming. And there is one absolutely ridiculous scene/let down that should have been a great climax but he copped for a deus ex machina with a character who was stupid and totally useless to begin with instead. I didn't get that. Either it went over my head or it's just stupid. Some of the characters become very one note too but they aren't on the page for long.

I actually finished the book really angry because I could have ended it so much better. It was all there to be great just bad/lazy writing choices at the end in my opinion.

Putting my arrogance aside, that is also a recommendation to read it, believe it or not. It's been a long time since I got so involved in a book that I cared enough to mouth off about it after it was over. The characters and premise really got to me even if some of the story lines and characters were familiar and/or stereotypical.

My honest opinion, the ending is a complete let down and transparent but I'm not sorry I listened to it. It was a really good book for the most part just horribly messed up at the end. But you know what should have happened and what the ending really is as the reader so forget his ending and go with yours. ;)

I have not read anything else by Joe Hill so this was my intro. I'm not sure I'll try any of his others although I hear great things about them. I vote yes but be prepared to skim and or struggle a bit from time to time if you read a bunch.

I have read everything by Joe Hill
I was disappointed in the Fireman
Not his best work
IMO the Heart Shaped Box was his best
I felt that his book of short stories was pretty creepy but one story I felt was very Kafka that he stole the premise of the of one of Kafka stories
Joe Hill is much creepier than his father

Reactions: LauraTracy
I will have to look that one up. Thanks!

I have read everything by Joe Hill
I was disappointed in the Fireman
Not his best work
IMO the Heart Shaped Box was his best
I felt that his book of short stories was pretty creepy but one story I felt was very Kafka that he stole the premise of the of one of Kafka stories
Joe Hill is much creepier than his father