What Are You Giving Up For Lent?

I'm giving up Crisps & Irn-Bru which for me is a big deal. I do this every year and most years I last about a week and a half. Today, i'm determined as I want to lose some weight and cutting out crisps & fizzy juice should make a good start on that...

I'm giving up sugar and red meat for lent. I've actually never given up something for lent and stick to it, but I've been super close, it's all about the experience anyway.

I'm not sure I understand this, what's the experience? I thought it was all about fasting and abstinence...

This is a big one for me..... Potato Chips. I love them. Cannot stop eating them if they are in the house. My DH had a big bag for Super Bowl this last Sunday. I found them on top of the fridge yesterday and ate 3/4 of the bag. :shame: And it was a big bag!

One thing that I don't have to do during Lent, I don't have to do the fasting requirements! Yippee. Not that they are that bad to begin with. Just 2 meals that are 1/2 size and 1 full size meal. But since I work "labor" (I crawl inside commercial airplane wings) I don't have to fast. They have this exception because doing physical jobs makes it difficult or possibly dangerous to fast. Imagine being really dizzy and trying to do a physical job.

I'm not catholic, but I try to give something up for lent every year. This year, it's doughnuts. I don't eat them very often (or I'd weigh a ton!) but I know they're bad for me, and every time I see the Krispy Kreme box in the breakroom at work, I lose my self-control.

I'm not giving up anything, as I don't celebrate. And while the nature of this thread isn't controversial, it's still religious, and I don't get how it's still open. Mods are always closing down any thread dealing with religion or politics, it's a bit weird to me that this one is still here...

I'm not giving up anything, as I don't celebrate. And while the nature of this thread isn't controversial, it's still religious, and I don't get how it's still open. Mods are always closing down any thread dealing with religion or politics, it's a bit weird to me that this one is still here...

I don't think this type of thread is forbidden. It's basically the same as the one that was started last year for Lent and another that was started for Ramadan where members supported each other in their fasts.

http://forum.purseblog.com/general-discussion/lent-98712.html

http://forum.purseblog.com/general-discussion/ramadan-49651.html

Not religious, but it has been a practice of mine to give something up for lent, just to get rid of bad habits!

This year, it's Coca cola, because I am ADDICTED to it. Several cans/bottles a day, and I can't function without the stuff.

Sorry, What is lent??

Speedy, help please!!

Never mind, I googled it. I didnt know its english name. We usually dont eat meat any Friday during those 40 days. I dont think I have bad habits that I need to give up. I gotta say I pray and thank him everyday but everytime I need a favor from God I promise to do sacrifice something for him, like giving up something. You might think i am crazy but it's worked for me before.

For the past few years, I haven't given up anything for lent. But this year, I had the idea of giving up buying clothes/accessories.

I'm not sure if I can go through with it though, especially since I'm going to Paris next week. I don't know if I can resist the temptation! :wacko:

Ugh it starts today doesn't it? I forgot it was so early this year, so I haven't thought about it yet. I was raised with a mixed faith household, but my mom always made us do Lent and I think it's a good way to practice self-discipline and learn to be grateful. Giving up something you love for 40 days is really difficult, but it's so rewarding. Even if it's not done as a religious kind of thing, it's a good self-growth kind of thing. I hope that doesn't offend anyone :flowers:

That being said... Soda would have been a good one, but I'm drinking a Diet Coke right now, because I forgot :shame:

Maybe I'll give up sweets/desserts :shocked: :sweatdrop: