Weights of different leathers

It is a beautiful hardy leather. It is water proof. My old bag looks brand new. Hope I have not confused your decision.
Thank you @golconda :smile:
I'm trying to get more pics from the seller now for authentication (and hoping all will turn out well).

My fjord Birkin is ~2001, and I don’t feel any weight difference between that bag and my 2012 Togo Birkin.
Thank you, dear @ouija board :smile:
This is such great & comforting news!!

Dear ladies, I may have found my 1st Kelly dream!

I have searched and read up, but couldn't seem to find the definite answer as to whether a fjord retourne Kelly 32 made around 1999-2001 could be much heavier than a togo/clemence in the same size.
I have a Bolide 31 in clemence, would you ladies reckon that a fjord K32 would be heavier?

Could anyone with a fjord K32 please please advise me on the weight of your lovely bag? :flowers::flowers:
Really praying for answers before I hit the buy button.

Thank you so much...:heart:

Fjord K is too special to pass on! Some tips to lighten the weight-
Use a lighter wallet. The number of leather layers would be a good clue to its weight.
Reduce the keys and coins.
Use a lighter pouch. Nylon is lighter than leather.

Good luck!

Fjord K is too special to pass on! Some tips to lighten the weight-
Use a lighter wallet. The number of leather layers would be a good clue to its weight.
Reduce the keys and coins.
Use a lighter pouch. Nylon is lighter than leather.

Good luck!
My goodness, @shopaholicious , I feel like I'm getting palpitations thinking of grabbing it in my hands!!

So here's my 2 cents on the different weights of some bags. I do not have a scale and have many more kellys than birkins so simply did a blind test holding one in one hand and one in another. The difference in weights were dramatic enough that I don't need a scale.

My 32 cm gulliver kelly is much lighter than my 32 cm clemence. Both are retourne.

And here's a kicker. I have two 32 cm box leather kelly's, one retourne and one sellier. The sellier is quite a bit heavier than the retourne in identical leathers.

And my 25 cm swift kelly is lighter than the 25 cm chèvre.

I know this thread is about 35 cm birkins and I don't have a scale. But for me, swift and gulliver are much lighter than clemence regardless of the bag so I'm perplexed at the higher weight stated earlier in this thread.

Yes, I agree. When I compare my 28 Kellys in Clemence and Swift, the Swift is considerably lighter.

My goodness, @shopaholicious , I feel like I'm getting palpitations thinking of grabbing it in my hands!!
Please don't panic. Even 35 cm Birkins don't usually weigh more than three pounds, most much less (mine are all around 2.5). Of course it's important to mind ergonomics (don't sling a ton of weight over one shoulder for hours each day) but they should be fine for normal use. None of my Birkins feel heavy to me unless I put a laptop AND a full water bottle AND a bunch of work stuff in...and the Kelly is even easier as you have multiple carry options - it's hard to carry a full B on the shoulder, while a K is easy.
Also, retourné K is lighter than sellier as sellier has that extra stiffening layer. If I had a scale I'd weigh my 32 cm Togo sellier for you, but I can tell you it does not feel heavy at all.

Please don't panic. Even 35 cm Birkins don't usually weigh more than three pounds, most much less (mine are all around 2.5). Of course it's important to mind ergonomics (don't sling a ton of weight over one shoulder for hours each day) but they should be fine for normal use. None of my Birkins feel heavy to me unless I put a laptop AND a full water bottle AND a bunch of work stuff in...and the Kelly is even easier as you have multiple carry options - it's hard to carry a full B on the shoulder, while a K is easy.
Also, retourné K is lighter than sellier as sellier has that extra stiffening layer. If I had a scale I'd weigh my 32 cm Togo sellier for you, but I can tell you it does not feel heavy at all.
Thank you dear @QuelleFromage
If I do get one of the 3 Kellys, I'd whip out the scale for a comparison with my Bolide 31. Decision making in buying a new bag is crazy work! :lol:

Would love to see where Novillo fits in this spectrum. :idea:
Update on the weights of 35 cm Birkin without lock and clochette unless specified:

Vache Trekking: 1389 g = 3 lbs. 1 oz---O Stamp

Evergraine (with lock and clochette): 1588 g = 3 lb and 8 oz.
Evergraine (sample 2, naked): 1219 g = 2 lb. 11 oz.

Fjord (year 2008): 1252 g = 2 lb and 13.68 oz

Clemence range: 1209 - 1271 g (the heaviest one is from 2006) = 2 lb and 10.6462 oz - 2 lb and 12.83 oz

Buffalo: 1250 g = 2 lbs 12.1 oz

Vache Liegee: 1247 g = 2 lbs. 12.0 ounces - I or J stamp

Epsom: 1223 g = 2.69 lbs

Swift : 1218 g = 2 lbs and 10.96 oz

Vache Naturelle: 1206 g = 2 lbs and 10.54 oz
Vache Naturelle: 1157 g = 2.550 lb

Porosus Croc 1190 g = 2.626 lb

Togo: 1122 g = 2 lb and 7.58 oz
Togo: 1142 g = 2 lbs. 8.3 ounces - M Stamp
Togo: 1270 g = 2.800 lb

Barenia (2003): 1120 g = 2 lb and 7.51 oz

Ostrich: 1106 g = 2 lb and 7.01 oz

Crinolin/Barenia: 1058 g = 2 lb and 5.32 oz

Box (2007): 1049 g = 2 lb and 5.00 oz

Chevre (2002): 995 g = 2 lb and 3.10 oz

CDC: 961 g = 2 lbs. 2.9 oz - F Stamp

• Insightful
Reactions: hobibi and Sus
I sold my K32 in swift n bought a K28 in Chevre and no turn back since then on weight ! I m so spoilt now ! I Hv severe migraine and very sensitive to weight on shoulder which will trigger it.

Now I need to find another K28 in chevre or B25/30 in chevre but that’s Super tough find !!!

My 2 cents:
My 2018 Togo Birkin 25 is about
1/2 inch longer
than my 2008 Box Kelly Retourne 25.

I was told that even within the same bag styles/sizes such discrepancies exist; I’m sure that affects the weight as well. By how much, I don’t know, but I just wanted to point out that just because a bag is a 35, doesn’t mean it’s always exactly 35 cm long.
Also, things you don’t suspect add weight, add up (some raincoats, like my Lindy ones).

I think too much is made over raw figures where weight is concerned.
The differences always appear dramatic and significant - but what is an ounce or 100gms?
Weigh a candy bar and compare the differences with that.
Perhaps the surprising fact is that all these bags weigh more than a typical bag of sugar or flour.

True, some leathers are less heavy, some colours just appear more or less heavy.
More to the point, if you know a bag weighs more than another and it is darker than an equivalent brighter/paler bag that you own, the difference in weight might seem even more marked.

The real difference in weight on your arm is determined by the contents of the bag.

Reactions: jiljenner