Watch purchase on a budget...SOS!!

Frankly, I would recommend you hold on to your money and save up for some more time and buy the watch you want - if you really, truly want it.

And I second Cosmopolitan's advice to check out Jomashop and the preloved market.

Reactions: Lux.
Is there a certain reason or occasion that you feel you need to get the watch now or in the near future?

If not, like many others, I do suggest saving up for your dream watch. I think that way you will be completely satisfied and not keep on thinking that you don't have it yet.

If you're looking for a watch for work, something more understated and less luxurious (and maybe less flashy), perhaps Fossil? I recently got one as a gift and I really like it for daily use,....especially with all the robberies/break-ins going around in my state, I'd rather not wear a nice watch at the moment. (and I suppose if it does get stolen, I'd be sad because it was a gift, but at least it won't be a heavy loss financially)
I know Fossil is below your budget, but for an everyday basic watch that works, I wouldn't even bother spending over $300. Especially if I have a more expensive watch in mind, I'd rather save the money for the one!

Additionally, like others have said, looking at the pre-loved market is a good idea but be prepared and do your research :smile: . I saw a Youtuber buy a pre-loved Rolex once, and she was not told that certain parts on the inside of the watch were replaced until she sent it to Rolex for cleaning/maintenance. Depending on the brand, they may or may not service your watch if there have been certain alterations.

Good luck! :tup:

Reactions: etudes
My Baume Mercier is sitting in a box needing a new battery and leather strap. I love that watch but it's real pita re. getting a new strap for it. It's a hassle and needs a store that can cope with sending it away to be dealt with - I can't just buy the 2 piece strap as required, it has to be sent off. The whole peramble and bother of it all annoys me intensely.

I guess what I'm saying is that one should be aware of any extra costs and maintenance down the line.

That said, if you have a dream watch in mind, I'd save up for it and just bear in mind the attention it may need in the future.

Reactions: Bagatha Christie
I agree with poopsie. Hold off on buying a cheaper watch, and save the money for when you can afford the watch you really want. $800 is a lot of money to spend on a watch that ‘makes do for now’. Go and buy yourself a Casio, Invicta, Timex, etc. if you need a good, reliable watch until you get your dream.

Last edited:
I think you need to isolate what exactly you want out of it:-
Do you want a brand name and a design? Gucci, Armani and Burberry make lovely fashion watches.

Do you want a respected Swiss watch house at a lower price point? Tissot, longines and Rado are admired by watch enthusiasts.

But quite honestly, mainstream watch companies like Casio and timex make excellent basic quartz watches, or you could get a couples of swatches in your favourite colours.

I’m trying to remember what the name of my watch with the changeable straps is because that’s fun… I’ll look it up when I get the chance ,

Reactions: sdkitty and etudes