Vintage Coach Photos & Chat

Hey guys, looking for some advice. I've always admired vintage Coach bags, the leather is so pretty. I'm looking to buy one but want something that will fit an iPad mini, my phone, regular sized wallet, keys and a banana (lol), those are my essential items and that's usually all I carry. I really love the look of the Court and the Willis because they're classic but have nice details (hardware, cross body, design). Would either of these hold what I need?

Hey guys, looking for some advice. I've always admired vintage Coach bags, the leather is so pretty. I'm looking to buy one but want something that will fit an iPad mini, my phone, regular sized wallet, keys and a banana (lol), those are my essential items and that's usually all I carry. I really love the look of the Court and the Willis because they're classic but have nice details (hardware, cross body, design). Would either of these hold what I need?

Your wallet, phone and keys will fill the space in either bag comfortably. While the iPad Mini would also fit, it would feel cramped, more so in the Court than the Willis. I don't think a banana would work in either bag, with all the other items.

Something like the Classic (Shoulder) Pouch #9170, or a Stewardess, would be a better choice if you want the banana in there. But probably neither of them would work as a cross body, unless you're quite petite.

I have a stewardess and I can fit a lot in it. I put my keys, standard long wallet, a water bottle and a BBW lotion bottle in there and still had room for an iPad mini. There are two front pockets and you could most likely put the phone in the small front pocket and the iPad could either go in the inner zippered pocket or in the bigger front slip pocket.

Idk how tall you are but I am petite and as@catbird9 said, I can wear it cross body easily.
IMG_20170110_124336162.jpg1484071225478.jpeg

Your wallet, phone and keys will fill the space in either bag comfortably. While the iPad Mini would also fit, it would feel cramped, more so in the Court than the Willis. I don't think a banana would work in either bag, with all the other items.

Something like the Classic (Shoulder) Pouch #9170, or a Stewardess, would be a better choice if you want the banana in there. But probably neither of them would work as a cross body, unless you're quite petite.

Ah, okay good to know. I really like the Willis but am looking for something more practical for school. The 9170 is too plain for my taste but I think the Stewardess is really cute! Love the turnlock on it. I am only about 5'1" so I wonder if it would go cross body for me!

I have a stewardess and I can fit a lot in it. I put my keys, standard long wallet, a water bottle and a BBW lotion bottle in there and still had room for an iPad mini. There are two front pockets and you could most likely put the phone in the small front pocket and the iPad could either go in the inner zippered pocket or in the bigger front slip pocket.

Idk how tall you are but I am petite and as@catbird9 said, I can wear it cross body easily.
View attachment 3570522View attachment 3570523

Thanks for the pics, that was super helpful! Exactly the size I'm looking for. I'm about 5'1" do you think it could work as a cross body on me? I'm average frame.

Ah, okay good to know. I really like the Willis but am looking for something more practical for school. The 9170 is too plain for my taste but I think the Stewardess is really cute! Love the turnlock on it. I am only about 5'1" so I wonder if it would go cross body for me!

Thanks for the pics, that was super helpful! Exactly the size I'm looking for. I'm about 5'1" do you think it could work as a cross body on me? I'm average frame.
Yes, I am also 5'1" and I have the straps adjusted to the longest setting for a comfortable fit. :smile:

I have the court bag and feel like it's a bit small for me if I want to carry my small makeup case. (Smaller side of a medium bag.) I am planning on picking up a Willis instead or a Taft. You may want to look at that style, it is also cross body. Also, your banana could probably fit in the outside pocket of the Willis. If you are planning to eat it, it may not be a deal breaker.

Please bear in mind that some of the early NYC-made releases came with shorter (35" long) strap which, with the buckle tabs, yields a drop adjustable from approx 10-1/2" to 16-1/2" (or shorter if you double up). I believe that later (US and Costa Rica) issues were provided with a longer (40"?) strap. The most recent reissue of the #9525 comes with a 36" strap.

Please bear in mind that some of the early NYC-made releases came with shorter (35" long) strap which, with the buckle tabs, yields a drop adjustable from approx 10-1/2" to 16-1/2" (or shorter if you double up). I believe that later (US and Costa Rica) issues were provided with a longer (40"?) strap. The most recent reissue of the #9525 comes with a 36" strap.

Good point! :tup:

And another reminder that we've warned about often over at the Authenticate board - ALWAYS CHECK THE PHOTOS AND THE STRAP MEASUREMENTS CAREFULLY, because when the fashion started changing to what's now called a "shoulder strap" with a shorter length so the bag is carried higher up, a lot of owners who preferred the new style shortened the straps on their older classic and vintage bags. Some just punched a few more holes, but too many actually cut the strap. A few were shortened by professionall leatherworkers or cobblers, but far too many were done by the owners and the straps were butchered. And some were replaced with shorter non-Coach straps, which usually have the wrong kind of hardware.

Warning signs can be:
Strap measurements that don't come close to others of the same style listed for sale.
Incomplete or blurry photos that don't show the entire length of the strap.
Raw undyed leather at the tip of the strap, or leather that's cut straight across instead of being rounded off.
Buckle placement on an adjustable strap that puts it close to the center of the strap when shown in a full-length photo - this can also be one of the signs of a fake, so look at the photos CAREFULLY and have the bag authenticated at the ATC thread.

Better yet, always post photos and / or links at the Authenticate This Coach thread and ask about the strap length - we've seen a lot of those "chop jobs" and can usually spot them especially if the poster mentions the strap.

Last edited:
I've been wanting to post this for a little while, finally getting around to it. I know there was talk of these anniversary bags when they first came out, and I wanted to do a quick color comparison of my Anniversary Patricia that I got at the Black Friday Outlet sale to my vintage bag. The colors are much closer than they appear in the picture, for some reason the bag on the left looks more purple than it actually is. I was actually hoping I could switch out the longer strap on the new bag because the strap on the older bag is shorter than I'd like, but strangely though the width of the leather is perfect the size of the grommets is too small for the buckle on the older bag. The metal is a different color but I could live with that in order to carry the bag a little more often.

Not too exciting, just thought I'd share!

IMG_1257.JPG

Hi guys, I need some advice. I like the vintage coach leather bags. Is there something similar to the Sutton bag #9814 or the Taylor bag #9944 or the City bag #9790, but slightly smaller? Or is one of them smaller than the other? I like the shape, the pockets, the width of the straps on them and I bought a vintage swagger (gave the bag a bath and then the bag to mom because that was too big for my needs). I'm looking for something sort of simple or do you guys have any other recommendations? I'm 5'5", I guess I'm the type of girl that likes to see it in person so seeing it online is hard that's why I need your expert opinion. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I need some advice. I like the vintage coach leather bags. Is there something similar to the Sutton bag #9814 or the Taylor bag #9944 or the City bag #9790, but slightly smaller? Or is one of them smaller than the other? I like the shape, the pockets, the width of the straps on them and I bought a vintage swagger (gave the bag a bath and then the bag to mom because that was too big for my needs). I'm looking for something sort of simple or do you guys have any other recommendations? I'm 5'5", I guess I'm the type of girl that likes to see it in person so seeing it online is hard that's why I need your expert opinion. Thanks for your help.
Here are three to consider:
Lewiston #9931:
9931_Lewiston Bag-fall1993.jpg

Metropolis #9087:
Catalog pic.jpg

Blazer #9830:
9830_Blazer Bag-1989 Spr Prev-d.jpg