Vintage Coach Photos & Chat

Yeah it's too bad it just has one pen mark on it. I am trying to ignore it because I don't want to ruin it trying to remove it. It''s in a fairly discreet spot though.

So if that is british tan, and saddle is similar, what is cognac? Or is that not a Coach color?
British tan is more orange than saddle. Cognac is a name Coach has only used recently, not for vintage bags.1981 and 1982_Spring colors.jpg

Oh tabac has a greenish tinge? I do have a single bag in that color, a crescent bag. I always thought it was olive or something. In that case I think I have a few in the putty color, and a few in the british tan too. Thanks for the clarification.

Are there also tags like this from 70s Coach? I puzzle over a pre creed bag I have that is likely navy but a much lighter greenish navy than all the other navy bags I have from later.
I've never seen color swatches for the 70s bags, but they might exist somewhere. Your navy might just be a bit faded due to time or exposure to light.

Want to share my excitement: today I'm going to rehab 2 vintage flight bags! I have wanted one forever and somehow this last week found 2 (one on etsy and one on ebay). The color looks off in this picture but they are actually quite different colors. One is tabac while the second is quite orange, is that what you call cognac or is it british tan? I am especially excited about the second one as it is so dry and scratched that I think the difference after a bath and lots of conditioner may be fabulous!
View attachment 3527820 View attachment 3527819

I love them! It is so funny that you found two. I also bought two recently. I had been trying to find one of the older ones with the long handles for a good price forever, then I finally got one on Etsy. A week or so later, another one came along, so I bought it, too. I think mine are the same colors as yours.

I'm still a newbie on this site, so please excuse the quality of these pics -- I took them on my iPad and didn't bother editing them -- I just wanted to show off this beauty I bought on eBay last year. Not sure what year it came out -- it's the Kristen Photo Print Girl, XL Shopper Tote, Style 14396. I wore it mostly this summer (when it didn't clash with my outfits, lol).

The third photo (bag on mannequin) is not my own, but it's superior to the ones I took.

Anyone else here like the vintage photo print style?

IMG_3628.JPG IMG_3635.JPG IMG_3637.jpg

I love them! It is so funny that you found two. I also bought two recently. I had been trying to find one of the older ones with the long handles for a good price forever, then I finally got one on Etsy. A week or so later, another one came along, so I bought it, too. I think mine are the same colors as yours.

I would really like to find a black one! Also, the putty colored one was in my cart for a week because it wasn't the greatest price and then of course the day after I bought it I saw the other one for a better price (but in worse condition, but that's okay by me since I love a good rehab job)! Isn't that just always the way of things... :smile:

Do you know if they are planning on doing other things with other bags? If I remember correctly, they were collecting slim satchels - I don't see those on Colette.

Remember when Coach had bloggers personalize 2012 Legacy duffles? It would be nice if they took some ideas from something like that. Something more creative than just patches. Something more difficult for people to copy.

I just stumbled onto this Harper's Bazaar article from earlier this year.
http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/trends/g6930/coach-75th-anniversary/
"The Dinky, Stewardess and Duffle were selected for the "Coach Vintage Collection," sourced from collections all over the world, but originally created in NYC in the 1970s and 80s. Over 18 months, the bags underwent authentication and restoration processes before each was given one of three hand-applied motifs—Fringe, an homage to the American West, Rip and Repair, a nod to the baseball mitts that inspired the original founders of Coach and Vintage Stripe, a reference to classic Ivy League style."

Attachments

• landscape-1456854663-hbz-barneys-vintage-bags-02.jpg
    landscape-1456854663-hbz-barneys-vintage-bags-02.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 540
Berkeley Field Bag, if anyone's looking for one. Not my auction and NOT authenticated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Coa...308094?hash=item23793406be:g:7HoAAOSw44BYFfKK

Just an update - it IS genuine but has NO connection at all with Bonnie Cashin, since Cashin had parted company with Coach more than 20 years before this style was even introduced. Always be skeptical of sellers who throw Cashin's name around like a tennis ball unless you know them to be experts in that time period. IMHO, a bag described using Cashin's name but with no connection to her is technically SNAD and right near the top of my list of pet peeves.

OK, rant over.

Reactions: houseof999
Just an update - it IS genuine but has NO connection at all with Bonnie Cashin, since Cashin had parted company with Coach more than 20 years before this style was even introduced. Always be skeptical of sellers who throw Cashin's name around like a tennis ball unless you know them to be experts in that time period. IMHO, a bag described using Cashin's name but with no connection to her is technically SNAD and right near the top of my list of pet peeves.

Good point - never thought of it as grounds for SNAD! My eyes skip right over 'Cashin' since it's misused so often.
BTW, I would love to see pics of the 9097 when you get a chance. No red should go unworshipped [emoji39]

OK, rant over.
I bought a genuine Bonnie Cashin bag from that seller several years ago. In early November, I noticed that she used the "Cashin" name on that Berkeley Field Bag, so I emailed her to ask her why she was using Cashin's name on a bag that was designed so many years after Cashin left Coach. Here was her response:

New message from: brodav18 (303)
good question. i was using the 'bonnie cashin' as a catchall for a vintage coach bag, as do many other people on ebay. but i suspect she had little influence on this particular style. if you search for 'vintage coach cashin' or 'coach bonnie cashin', i'm guessing that 1 percent of the bags that pop up have anything to do with bonnie cashin, but everybody seems to invoke her 'influence'. i'm not sure which bags, if any, actually date back to her time other than the watermelon, mexican stripes, possibly the early couriers (?); even the musettes are 'post-cashin'. the berkeley line, as you note, is way past her influence, but then again, i think she would have loved these particular bags because of their retro vibe.

Needless to say, I'm never buying anything from her again.

Reactions: Ravvie99
View attachment 3552254View attachment 3552256

Does anyone know anything about this Coach bag?
I bought it a long time ago & recently pulled it out of storage
Dimensions 11" x 7" x 2"? If so, it's called a Zippered Clutch, later renamed the Basic Bag, style #9455. It was made in the original Coach New York City factory in the 1970s. It originally came with a detachable shoulder strap.

Attachments

• 9490 suspender bag 1976 9455 zippered clutch basic bag.jpg
    9490 suspender bag 1976 9455 zippered clutch basic bag.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 364
Reactions: bellebellebelle19
Dimensions 11" x 7" x 2"? If so, it's called a Zippered Clutch, later renamed the Basic Bag, style #9455. It was made in the original Coach New York City factory in the 1970s. It originally came with a detachable shoulder strap.

Thank you!!!
I have the shoulder strap
I think the leather looks pretty good irl considering it sat in it's brown box in storage for years
The leather & construction seem good quality

Last edited:
Thank you!!!
I have the shoulder strap
I think the leather looks pretty good irl considering it sat in it's brown box in storage for years
The leather & construction seem good quality
Yes, you don't find that level of quality today, for the most part. These glove-tanned cowhide bags can be washed, reshaped and conditioned and will glow with vitality after more than 30 years. I love them!

Reactions: dachsgirlknits
Yes, you don't find that level of quality today, for the most part. These glove-tanned cowhide bags can be washed, reshaped and conditioned and will glow with vitality after more than 30 years. I love them!

The bag looked good when I took it out but decided to condition it with Saphir, a product I use on another handbag line I wear. The Coach looked terrific!

Thanks for your help!!