Vintage Coach Photos & Chat

Lucyblue13

Nov 25, 2019
I have mixed feelings on Coach rehabbing bags. On one hand, hey it’s a free market but they’re really taking the fun away from all the beautiful work members of this forum do.

I can’t really explain why this is annoying me lol I guess I just need to get back to my rehab pile. I was thinking of unloading some of my beautiful rehabbed vintage bags but I think I’ll just keep them. My tastes and needs are constantly changing so the bags I feel are too small right now will probably be perfect for me down the road.

I think about it like this...I feel like it is starting to annoy me, but then I think about how many bags I can buy and rehab for the $$$ they charge for one bag. Makes me really happy to be here!

I do understand they probably pay Debi a fair amount to rehab, that being her job, so even though I always think "geez!" at first, kudos to her for getting somebody to pay her for doing what she likes to do. But that said, still glad I can do this as a hobby at a fraction of the cost. I guess I could resale, but that just sounds not fun to me.

Lucyblue13

Nov 25, 2019
If they wanted people to “wear things longer” & reduce landfill waste, they’d make their products more durable like they used to be. On another note, HOW are they selling $500 pocket purses when I can’t even get my much better condition vintage coach to sell for less than half that?! Coach please buy my bags & list them on your website for a ridiculous amount, thanks! :yes:

So true about the waste! But at least they've been trying to improve their quality a little? Maybe? I dunno, I have never bought a full price coach bag. They are at least looking better. I sometimes see some I might think about buying if they didn't have the "genuine glovetanned whatever" in gold letters I would have to look at every time I open a flap. I wish they would stop doing that. It looks so cheap!

ETA..no offense...I know some of you like the newer bags.

Lucyblue13

Nov 25, 2019
LOL Agree about their waste sentiments.

I’m thinking they’re trying to appeal to the people who will only carry a bag over a certain price point. You and I will be excited to score a $30 vintage bag and rehab it ourselves and be even prouder because of it. I think some people think that’s lame but buying it from Coach and spending $500 suddenly makes it cool vintage not the gross Salvation Army vintage :lol: (I of course think buying second hand is super cool)

Yes to this! Oh well, more cheap Salvation Army bags for me :happydance:

May 14, 2020
Canada
LOL Agree about their waste sentiments.

I’m thinking they’re trying to appeal to the people who will only carry a bag over a certain price point. You and I will be excited to score a $30 vintage bag and rehab it ourselves and be even prouder because of it. I think some people think that’s lame but buying it from Coach and spending $500 suddenly makes it cool vintage not the gross Salvation Army vintage :lol: (I of course think buying second hand is super cool)
So true about the waste! But at least they've been trying to improve their quality a little? Maybe? I dunno, I have never bought a full price coach bag. They are at least looking better. I sometimes see some I might think about buying if they didn't have the "genuine glovetanned whatever" in gold letters I would have to look at every time I open a flap. I wish they would stop doing that. It looks so cheap!

I was on cloud 9 when I found a $15 black scooter at the thrift! I prefer carrying the bags Ive scored deals on because I’ll actually use them without fear of putting wear on them lol. I say it a lot, but half the fun of collecting vintage coach is finding good deals.

eta: a majority of the things I own are second hand & I think its pretty cool lmao

whateve

Authenticator
O.G.
May 10, 2010

I understand, I don't care for those gold letters either. I like my new bags. I don't try to compare them to the vintage. They aren't the same. The leather will never be as good as they don't process leather the same as they did back then. I like my new bags for their styles and colors. Sometimes being more structured is a good thing if it works with the style. Compared to the quality of other brands, including premium brands, I think I'm getting a good value for my money on my newer Coach bags.

I just bought the Cashin 22 in cerise. It is a copy of a Bonnie Cashin design in a gorgeous fuchsia. I paid $214 including tax. If I could even find one of the vintage ones, it would cost a lot more than that, be in worse condition, probably wouldn't be in a pretty color, and wouldn't have the organization this one has. Plus I would be afraid to use it as it should be in a museum.

Attachments

Lucyblue13

Nov 25, 2019
ETA...was supposed to reply to @whateve here

That's cute, and your reasons for purchasing make a lot of sense. I have been seeing things I like, the new Swingers and Ergos, the Saddle bags...but when I consider buying one, I come to the conclusion I could buy several vintage bags for the price. But then again I've only paid over $100 for one bag, so It might just be the thrifter in me talking. I've been thrifting for 30 years, I just like to do it. Nothing feels better to me than a good deal. It helps that I really just love old stuff :lol: I got a couple of hours by myself a few of weeks ago, and I walked around my favorite antique store(that I haven't been into in FOREVER) by myself. Didn't buy anything, but it just feels so good to be surrounded by old stuff. I love to oooh and aaah and think about the lives the stuff had. I honestly can't remember the last time I bought anything new!

Oh wait, I did buy some tank tops that were on sale for $3 the other day :lol:

May 14, 2020
Canada
ETA...was supposed to reply to @whateve here

That's cute, and your reasons for purchasing make a lot of sense. I have been seeing things I like, the new Swingers and Ergos, the Saddle bags...but when I consider buying one, I come to the conclusion I could buy several vintage bags for the price. But then again I've only paid over $100 for one bag, so It might just be the thrifter in me talking. I've been thrifting for 30 years, I just like to do it. Nothing feels better to me than a good deal. It helps that I really just love old stuff :lol: I got a couple of hours by myself a few of weeks ago, and I walked around my favorite antique store(that I haven't been into in FOREVER) by myself. Didn't buy anything, but it just feels so good to be surrounded by old stuff. I love to oooh and aaah and think about the lives the stuff had. I honestly can't remember the last time I bought anything new!

Oh wait, I did buy some tank tops that were on sale for $3 the other day :lol:
I could waste hours at a second hand store/ flea market/ garage sale/ estate sale etc. Anything old, I wanna rummage through it!

Paris Girl

Aug 30, 2019
I understand, I don't care for those gold letters either. I like my new bags. I don't try to compare them to the vintage. They aren't the same. The leather will never be as good as they don't process leather the same as they did back then. I like my new bags for their styles and colors. Sometimes being more structured is a good thing if it works with the style. Compared to the quality of other brands, including premium brands, I think I'm getting a good value for my money on my newer Coach bags.

I just bought the Cashin 22 in cerise. It is a copy of a Bonnie Cashin design in a gorgeous fuchsia. I paid $214 including tax. If I could even find one of the vintage ones, it would cost a lot more than that, be in worse condition, probably wouldn't be in a pretty color, and wouldn't have the organization this one has. Plus I would be afraid to use it as it should be in a museum.
I like some of the new bags too. I bought two of the 1991 reissued small totes in blue ($230) and a red one ($225) that I love. I actually like the chunkier handles and the brass feet on them the earlier version did not have. Did get the real deal a BC 9685 in putty (listing photo) in mint original condition ($225). I actually carry all three and enjoy them.

Attachments

Lake Effect

Feb 25, 2017
The Garden State
The Pulley! It is super adorable though! I am so afraid to dunk it. I think it needs to be done though. View attachment 5061675 View attachment 5061678
My second pre-creed arrival of the day...the small version of the classic shoulder pouch! It took me three tries to get a navy bag that is love...but I think I've finally done it. I could almost cry. It is in nearly perfect condition. It might be my new favorite! Somebody pinch me :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: View attachment 5061723
These two are going to have to be besties, my bag fund is drained! I am also officially out of space. I have four bags that don't really have a home anywhere. I don't know where I'm going to put them.

They are gorgeous, I've been staring and petting them all day. I'm not ready to move out of Mitchell yet, but at the same time I want to move into the pouch. Such a nice problem to have. Six months ago I couldn't have imagined I would be at this point. I have so many bags I love!
Oh my gosh that blue Pouch! Does anyone know if the Pulley come in rust??
Same boat. Dental work is dipping into my bag fund. And I am busy at work keeping what I have from developing what I call storage squash/slump. With multiple bags awaiting TLC.