Vintage bottega hobo

May 25, 2006
Hi everyone! So I just purchased a vintage bottega large hobo on fashionphile for $1500. I have searched everywhere for a large size and all I could find was medium. So I was so excited when I seen only 1 on fashionphile I snatched it up!! Got it yesterday and it’s in pretty amazing condition. Do you guys think I over paid or does this seem like a fair price? Also anyone have one and tell me how you like it? I was going to get the Jodi in small size but decided to get this instead

IMG_3336.jpeg

IMG_3338.jpeg

It's difficult to determine whether you overpaid without more specific details about the bag's condition and market value. However, if you're happy with the condition and rarity of finding a large size, it sounds like a fair price for your desired item. Enjoy your new Bottega large hobo!

Reactions: Evergreen602
It's difficult to determine whether you overpaid without more specific details about the bag's condition and market value. However, if you're happy with the condition and rarity of finding a large size, it sounds like a fair price for your desired item. Enjoy your new Bottega large hobo!
The condition is amazing there is no rubs, stains on the inside, loose areas. Leather isn’t dry it’s super soft. I’m not sure of the market value that’s why I was seeing what others thought that know more about bottega it seem to be a good price. And it being the large and very hard to find

Vintage, IMO is bags made in the 50s, 60s and 70s.
This Veneta is not “vintage” - it’s like 16-17 years old. Just my opinion.
I tend to agree. I've sometimes read items are considered "vintage" as early as 20 years old, but more often I hear it's 40-50 years old. I think "antique" starts around 75-100 years old?

Either way, it's a gorgeous bag in excellent condition. If it's a bag you will used and enjoy for many years, then you did not overpay. You will get your money's worth. Enjoy!

Reactions: jellyv
Lovely bag!

Did you pay too much? I was actually researching large veneta hobos and they have ranged from $600-$1300 on eBay. So perhaps you paid a bit more than what you could have. But—assuming this range—I think you need to ask yourself is $200 worth getting a bag in great condition, a bag that is not readily available anymore, from a reputable reseller with flexible return policies, and without having to scour resale sites for months? I’d probably say yes to that.

Edited to add: I zoomed in and see you have an older hobo with the knotted zipper pull. If so, you have a gem of a bag. I had an Ebano veneta from that era and I foolishly let it go. Er go, I was looking around. And I’d be even pickier than you because I’d want one from that era! So consider me thinking you are quite lucky. Take a photo of the white tag in the interior pocket and we can tell you from what year it is.

Last edited:
Your Veneta is beautiful, the older versions are the best, as Grietje said. Treat this bag well and you will have it for many years. As others said, its all about condition. Nero/black automatically increases price, these are the most sought after Venetas and sell fast. Totally worth paying a couple hundred more to get one in better condition too. Enjoy your beautiful TM Veneta:heart:

I was worried with it being a vintage it was going to be in bad condition but whoever had this didn’t wear it much.

considered "vintage" as early as 20 years old, but more often I hear it's 40-50 years old. I think "antique" starts around 75-100 years old?

Either way, it's a gorgeous bag in excellent condition. If it's a bag you will used and enjoy for many years, then you did not overpay. You will get your money's worth. Enjoy!

vintage please don’t come at me I asked opinions I didn’t ask anything about if it was vintage or not. I think we missed my questions

knotted zipper pull. If so, you have a gem of a bag. I had an Ebano veneta from that era and I foolishly let it go. Er go, I was looking around. And I’d be even pickier than you because I’d want one from that era! So consider me thinking you are quite lucky.

@xgianna6921x

The comments about ‘vintage’ were given in the context of the bags value and condition relative to your price paid

Please see them with an eye towards the generosity of responses and information provided by more knowledgeable members

None of us lost track of your questions or concerns (pls see below for my minority opinion )

ETA: I am not a BV afficionado like many on this thread, and I mainly buy hermes. I glean from the tenor of your posts that you were not necessarily looking for a bag from that era, nor were you looking to pay a premium for that bag. Additonally, since you were also looking at a newer bag, a Jodie, i think you were simply looking for a larger BV in black in excellent condition.

I personally prefer to buy BV at lower prices than 1500USD, and I bought a pristine dark gray one in your size from Fashionphile a few years ago for 1100. Although you do pay a premium for black, I believe 1500 is on the high side. However, ly prefer not to return and I get my value out of cost per wear. I also don’t feel like reading through scores of listings, and find Fashionphile quite good about BV condition. To my layman eye, modern bags are less high gloss, and I also prefer matte finish. (Though I could be entirely mistaken gloss could be a result of a pic taken with flash).

But, sometimes measurements vary on Fashionphile, and what is labeled a medium is sometimes closer to large size, and vice versa. The overall dimension of the bag which includes shoulder drop can also disguise more or less actual capacity. So, it’s also possible to have found another bag labeled the more common medium with comparable dimensions for less. JMO and YMMV

Note: again, my views diverge from the majority, and the only thing I know about BV, unlike the majority of posts, are based on the relatively small number of BV bags I have owned. (A mini cabat; a Boston style intarsia leather lizard; a dark gray hobo; and two metallic hobos). (I have paid between 400-1100 USD for BV hobos, and I believe the market in the summer, especially post July 4th, softens considerably)

Last edited:
I think @880 made a lot of good points. And as someone who is always looking to see whats out there, prices have gone up a lot in the last 18 months or so on older Venetas b/c of the popularity of the Jodies. Older bags offer the same look at a fraction of the cost. Like Chanel, LV, almost all brands, the quality is better on the older bags. Plus, with Venetas (imho), they will remain a classic. But the Jodies with the Knot, larger weave, etc will become dated and not age as well (you can see how wrinkled they are and how the weave loosens on the ones that have been used a good amount, in contrast to how well the older ones hold up over time). I do think its more of a trendy style. I bought and returned one b/c imo the leather was just not as nice as it is on the older pieces. I didn’t like the hardware either. The Jodies are a modern take on the older version, so if you want a cooler and more modern look, the Jodie is it. But if you want a bag that will be a classic hobo and always be chic and classic, the TM Veneta is your bag. I follow various ladies who have nice bag collections over on insta etc, not young hip influencers, but folks who have great bags and style sense, and even if some have a cute green mini Jodie in their closet, many of them also have a black or brown TM era Veneta. Its a great investment piece. You might have saved 2-300 over on TRR, but it might have arrived with a filthy lining smelling of musty odors, and numerous undisclosed issues. As 880 said, FP is easy to buy and return if you change your mind. Its a huge hassle trying to get TRR to take a bag back.

Plus if this makes u feel any better….these are the prices of the older tiny mini Venetas lately. This one sold within a couple of days a few weeks ago over on TRR…..And it had a few condition issues…. For more then what u paid for your much larger Veneta. And these are even smaller then mini Jodies :lol:

IMG_0477.jpeg

Last edited:
Plus if this makes u feel any better….these are the prices of the older tiny mini Venetas lately. This one sold within a couple of days a few weeks ago over on TRR…..And it had a few condition issues…. For more then what u paid for your much larger Veneta. And these are even smaller then mini Jodies :lol:

View attachment 5808624
Not to mention that the Mini Venetas were like $700 - BRAND NEW :lol:

Thanks everyone!!! I agree with everyone that said about the newer style I actually just sold my mini loop because the larger woven was curling and the leather felt to stiff. I prefer the vintage way more! Even with Chanel I have a series 0 double flap and the quality is so much better than the modern Chanel. Yes I paid 2-300 more but I knew I was getting better condition with fashionphile with no hassle returns. So all in all I’m very happy and excited about my bag it honestly doesn’t look like the person wore it much.

I ordered a Hermes picotin 26 which again was a rare find haha I got it from the real real it got delivered today and surprisingly it was in amazing condition as well it’s a vintage piece from 2004 came with original tags, box, dust cover, ribbon. I got lucky again.