Venice Hobo from Jessie Boutique damaged!

Dec 30, 2005
The hobo I got has a long line stain across the back in addition to numerous fingernail scratches. I emailed them about it and sent pictures and the only response that I got back was that the pictures weren't clear. I would like the bag to be exchanged for a new bag. Am I being crazy? Does anyone have any experience with Jessie Boutique CS? It was on sale and a final sale item. But, it didn't say that it was damaged and should have been new.

botkierstain.jpg

botkierstain2.jpg

Oh no! That's horrible, I'm so sorry to hear that. :sad: I've never had any experiences with them, but I'd suggest trying a general search of tPF to see if you can find any threads relating to CS issues with this store. They have got to be blind to claim that the pictures are blur, as your first pic of the line across the back is certainly clear enough to show that there's an obvious issue. You're absolutely not crazy, and they definitely need to let you exchange or return it, or give you a partial refund to compensate for the condition of the bag! They're a boutique that's supposed to be selling something new, so there's absolutely no excuse for sending you a bag in such poor condition without disclosure of said condition. :cursing:

If you can't find any further info on this store or previous CS problems, I'd suggest taking a few steps: emailing them more times firmly pressing this matter further (take more pictures if necessary and edit them in Photoshop or MS Paint to point out the issues), contacting your credit card company to look into filing a chargeback if the store refuses to budge, and possibly even contacting the Better Business Bureau or similar to report them. This store absolutely cannot get away with selling you a bag like this.

The stain could still be fixable by a leather care professional like Lovin My Bags, but that can be pretty pricey. You definitely shouldn't have to keep a bag in such poor condition as this, so I hope you press them further about giving you a proper resolution, i.e. an exchange or partial refund, or even a return and full refund. (Personally speaking, though, if they can't provide an exchange, I'd probably press for a return and full refund, even if I had to file a chargeback. Their CS sounds atrocious enough that I wouldn't want to keep the bag and let them keep my money, even if I wanted the bag a great deal!) Good luck, and please keep us posted!

This is the response I received:

Hi, you just sent the email yesterday. You bought the bag 70 percent off. That is way below wholesale. We are sorry but we cannot see anything from the picture. All sale items are final sale.
Thank you!

DO NOT PURCHASE FROM JESSIE BOUTIQUE. I am also going to post this warning in the deal and steals thread, as I don't want anyone else to fall victim to this scheme.

WTF?!! :faint: Talk about rude and unprofessional CS! Regardless of price, they sold you a brand new bag with damage without disclosing the damage! Chargeback their a$$! :cursing: Ugh, this is just horrible. I hope you're able to get your CC company to stand behind you in this!

BTW, this might be better in the general shopping forum, not the Deals & Steals forum, as it may get closed in there otherwise. It's definitely a good idea to post a warning, though!

I just filed with the BBB. We will see what happens . . . I have never filed with them before. I hope this gets resolved peacefully. It is just such a pain!!! I will not ever buy anything online site unseen again unless it is from a company that I know I can trust.

Okay, so 70% off is an awesome price, but only if you know about the damage BEFORE you buy it! That's ridiculous to not disclose that before the sale and then act like you got a good deal regardless so you should be happy! I feel bad, because I think I posted this on the Deals thread - I'm sorry this happened! I've bought from them before (a few years ago). I had no idea their CS sucked!

How can they say they can't see anything wrong in the pics??! I can clearly see both darker and lighter areas in those pics. That would make me so pissed. I've heard of several e-tailers that have not enforced the final sale policy when there was damage that wasn't disclosed. And these ppl are denying that the damage even exists! Sorry to hear about your situation :sad: Please update us!

70% off is a good deal, but only if the defect is informed to shoppers. I know funkylala does that, they always tell you the bag has problem when on sale with an unreasonably low price, that is the most responsible way of doing business.

Jessie boutique sucks, I will never shop from them no matter how good the deal is, and I think whoever said he/she can't see anything from your pictures should get his/her eyes checked.

Thanks for the support everyone!! It also came with a bunch of fingernail scratches to the leather and another circular (smaller) stain on the back. I am hoping that the BBB is able to resolve this, as I feel that I don't have a chance of anything being resolved through my direct communication with Jessie Boutique.

Continue fighting this, iluvhandbags! If you paid by CC as well, I'd highly recommend filing a chargeback, as CC companies seem to be one of the most effective ways of getting one's money back in cases like this.

Such a deeply discounted bag can only be considered a good deal if the damage was disclosed, and tejava brings up a good point about other retailers like Funkylala being responsible enough to inform customers when such deeply discounted bags have a problem. They're an online boutique, after all, and online customers don't have the benefit of being able to inspect a bag in person before committing to a purchase. It's then up to the store to be professional and ethical enough to disclose any problems with a bag when a customer is buying something sight unseen (and that is being represented by the store as brand new, i.e. without ridiculous problems like random stains or marks). This is definitely completely unacceptable of Jessie Boutique to sell you a damaged bag like this, as it may not even have fetched 30% of its MSRP if the damage had been disclosed prior to purchase.

I hope the BBB is able to do something too, but I'd definitely prepare to file a chargeback too if possible! Good luck, and do keep us updated!

Urgh, how annoying! I completely agree with the other comments - damage is totally unacceptable if not disclosed beforehand, you should keep fighting this, and file a chargeback if you paid with a credit card. Good luck!