VCA ~ Van Cleef Arpels Discussion thread!

age old debate. Need advice! first vintage alhambra piece, and really struggling with the ubiquitous black onyx or the more unique red carnelian necklace. opinions welcomed!
Obviously, both are amazing, but both happen to be the stones that I don't have -- because my skin tone just doesn't suit. (MOP, malachite, YG, chalcedony work for me.) So, I think it really depends on how they look on you. If both look equally great, and you are not planning on purchasing another necklace soon, I think onyx might be more versatile.

Just wanted to share my latest -- signature bracelet in YG. Somehow, I had been debating whether or not to get this for absolute ages -- which is not like me at all! I went back and forth, visitng it at the boutique more than 3 times (all my other VCA purchases, or heck, any purchase, have been on the spot), and then looking at everyone's great modeling pics, before making the decision yesterday.
Now that it's finally on my wrist, I cannot understand what made me so uncertain :biggrin::biggrin: I just love it to bits, and even enjoy rubbing off the fingerprint or other small marks that get on it. :heart::heart:
Thanks for letting me share~~~20170427_112813_resized.jpg

Obviously, both are amazing, but both happen to be the stones that I don't have -- because my skin tone just doesn't suit. (MOP, malachite, YG, chalcedony work for me.) So, I think it really depends on how they look on you. If both look equally great, and you are not planning on purchasing another necklace soon, I think onyx might be more versatile.
thanks for your input!!! I'm only a little taken back by Carnelian because I read somewhere the the color of the stone comes off with contact with water? I know its fine jewelry and wearing them in the shower is not advised. Wondering if this is true about Carnelian when in contact with water?

Just wanted to share my latest -- signature bracelet in YG. Somehow, I had been debating whether or not to get this for absolute ages -- which is not like me at all! I went back and forth, visitng it at the boutique more than 3 times (all my other VCA purchases, or heck, any purchase, have been on the spot), and then looking at everyone's great modeling pics, before making the decision yesterday.
Now that it's finally on my wrist, I cannot understand what made me so uncertain :biggrin::biggrin: I just love it to bits, and even enjoy rubbing off the fingerprint or other small marks that get on it. :heart::heart:
Thanks for letting me share~~~View attachment 3680579
congrats!! I looks amazing on you!

Now that it's finally on my wrist, I cannot understand what made me so uncertain [emoji3][emoji3] I just love it to bits, and even enjoy rubbing off the fingerprint or other small marks that get on it. [emoji813][emoji813]
Simply beautiful. Congratulations. I have one too, I love mine, I wear it a lot, you will find it is such a versatile piece which can stand alone or can be stacked with ease.

Great bracelet. I wear mine every day along with the perlee d'or. Enjoy!!

age old debate. Need advice! first vintage alhambra piece, and really struggling with the ubiquitous black onyx or the more unique red carnelian necklace. opinions welcomed!
I have both and wear my onyx more often.
Depends on your coloring/wardrobe because red can still be considered a neutral.
You should try them both on and select the one that makes you smile.
Btw, the color of carnelian will not wash off but you still shouldn't get it wet.

Reactions: LaNote and pazt
thanks for your input!!! I'm only a little taken back by Carnelian because I read somewhere the the color of the stone comes off with contact with water? I know its fine jewelry and wearing them in the shower is not advised. Wondering if this is true about Carnelian when in contact with water?

Most people are going to say onyx because it's a "safer" choice. My first was carnelian. Love love love it. I dont know where you heard that about carnelian - not true. The reason why you can't wear certain stones in the shower is that they may shrink a bit and you will get tiny air spaces between the stone and the setting. I don't know if this even applies for carnelian (I will assume it does), I know it's true for MOP. If you don't want to worry, the sturdiest pieces are the plain gold versions.

Reactions: LaNote