VCA ~ Van Cleef Arpels Discussion thread!

If you already have the Frivole WG pave earrings, I would get the matching WG Frivole pave BTF ring to make a set. I love love love the BTF ring. It's super gorgeous, and I wear it casual or dressy.

I think the Frivole WG pave flower bracelet actually takes away from the WG pave BTF ring as you can see in my photo. Too many flowers going on, and I felt that bracelet cheapened the look of the gorgeous ring when worn together (made it look like a Claire's theme to me).

For a VCA bracelet, I wear the WG Clover bangle. I like the structure of a bangle next to a "soft" look such as the Frivole flower ring as I feel it balances out a potential "too cutesy" look.

I dug up an old photo I posted so you can see if you like the look. For me, I love the Clover bangle with the Frivole BTF ring far more than the matching Frivole bracelet. The bangle gives the overall look more presence (take a look and compare the photo below to my earlier photo wearing the flower bracelet). Of course, jewelry is all personal preference.

I love the Frivole collection, and my favorite piece is the WG pave BTF ring. It sparkles like crazy as you know from your gorgeous earrings. I hope you try on the ring (I had to size down from my regular ring size due to the large gap opening).

View attachment 5971313
I love the pic too—especially the leggings! I wouldn’t wear the bracelet and BTF ring together. Definitely too much competition. You would loose the beauty of the ring. Your WG Perlee Clover is beautiful. I don’t have that bracelet (yet?!) but I do have the WG Perlee diamond single-row bracelet. That could work well with the BTF ring, too, although it doesn’t have the same presence as the Perlee Clover and may be lost against the ring. Thank you for the advice on sizing. In my limited experience I haven’t found VCA ring sizing be consistent.

Reactions: BigAkoya
I was eagerly anticipating to try on this piece, being an admirer of the frivole line. However, when I put it on the arm, it appeared way better on the tray instead lol. Its charm diminished, as it constantly flipped and kept shifting. I knew that it would annoy me. The chain of the bracelet seemed inadequate to support the flowers, even my trusted SA didn’t advocate for its purchase. I really wanted to like it, O well.
Thank you for tagging me @glamourbag.
I always appreciate your input. You are a trusted source. I knew we could get honest and thorough information and perspectives from you and @BigAkoya

And I agree with @AbottleofRed guilloche is beautiful on you. I always love seeing it in your looks.

@MomMomx3 and @Hiker4life
Thank you for the comment on the leggings. I love Pucci leggings (so groovy! :biggrin: :heart:), and they come out with new prints each season. In case you (or anyone else) are interested, this print is called Iride. I love the colors; it's super fun. The collection is from last season, but there are still pieces around, maybe even on sale. Here is a link as FYI so you can research:

To stay on topic and talk VCA...
I thought I would share my thoughts on the Butterfly BTF ring and Frivole WG pave earrings...

I really like the butterfly ring, and I like sets. The obvious thing to do would be to get the matching earrings.
I tried the earrings to make a set, but worn together, the look was too cutesy for me (too many butterflies everywhere).
Hence, plan B was to wear the butterfly ring with the WG Frivole pave earrings for the fauna & flora theme.

After wearing those two pieces together a few times, I felt it did not quite work. Why?
Because the butterfly wings are sharp, like a marquise shape (which is also the shape of the center diamond) while the Frivole petals are round. When worn together, it felt off to me, like I was just throwing pieces on, which is not what I like to do.

Hmm, I need plan C. Plan C is... the Lotus earrings!
For those who have patiently followed my past posts, you know I am not a fan of the Lotus earrings, and I only bought them to match my Lotus ring. I never wear the earrings with any other jewelry except for the Lotus ring.

Lo and behold, I wore the Lotus earrings with the butterfly ring, and I loved the look. The petals on the Lotus flower are sharp, like a marquise shape. I feel it works much better with the butterfly BTF ring.

I just wanted to share this in case anyone has a similar feeling about the butterfly and Frivole earrings being a bit "off" when worn together.

Last edited:
@glamourbag Thanks for tagging me.

@Zixi1000 I have tried this bracelet, but I passed. First, I love love Frivole. It's the most beautiful VCA collection to me. The design of the flowers, the 3D, the angles, the hearts as petals… it is second to none.

I have the WG pave BTF ring and the matching WG pave earrings. I like to make sets, so I have been dying to get a third piece to make a full parure. Hence, I've tried on all the Frivole pieces.

My thoughts on this piece is as @glamourbag said.
I did not buy this piece for two reasons:
First, there is too much chain and not enough flowers. There is a ton of thin chain, so you mostly see the chain. The only reason why you see the flower in your photo is that you positioned it there, centered. It will not stay that way.

Which brings me to the second point... the bracelet is not evenly weighted. This means the heavy large flower cluster in your photo will always drop to the bottom when worn. When I was trying it on, everytime I even slightly moved, the bracelet rotated, and my SA had to keep moving the flower back to the top of my wrist. In real life, your hands are ALWAYS moving.

Yes, you can shorten it and tighten the bracelet so it squeezes your wrist and does not move. For me, that look will just make it look like the bracelet is too tight for you and you have sausage wrists. Link bracelets such as this one is meant to have movement, not be tight like a cuff.

Going back to the chain... do you see how thin it is and how much space there is between the flower cluster? You see more chain than anything.

Hence, it was a big no for me. Some people do not mind and they like the delicate look. That's not me. I like for jewelry pieces to stand out and make a statement. You mentioned you are also looking at the Perlee Clover. I have the WG Perlee Clover, classic size. I love that bracelet.

In case you are looking at the Frivole WG pave collection, I dug up two old photos and reposted them.

The first photo is the bracelet with the Frivole WG BTF ring, but the snapshot is taken a bit further away than your photo so you can see my arms. The bracelet looks wimpy for my preference. Even with the large flower cluster positioned at the top, you can see it is mostly chain. You do not even see the other flowers, unlike the 5-motif VA bracelet where you see multiple clovers at the top.

The second photo is just a snapshot of the other Frivole WG pieces so you can see them side by side for comparison (in case you have not seen all the pieces together). The bracelet below the Frivole bracelet is the Palmyre. My SA brought in that piece as he had a hunch I would not like the Frivole bracelet, which he was correct.

Related, VCA recently released the Frivole bangle in WG pave. I tried on that bangle style in YG. It was not yet released in WG pave, but my SA wanted me to try it on for the style to see if I might want a WG pave one. The bracelet itself is very nice, and I love bangles, more so than link bracelets. I passed on the WG pave bangle because it's an open bangle. There is a gap at the top, which I did not like.

I buy jewelry for me, so I like to look at my pieces (I love rings and long necklaces). For a bracelet, the viewable space is mainly limited to the top of the arms when glancing. To have a gap at the top, to see skin, that's not my idea of a bracelet, so I passed. You might like that open bracelet look, so if you try it just pay attention to that gap.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your decision. Jewelry is 100% preference, so if you love it, that's the only vote that matters.

I love love love Frivole. The 3D design of the flowers is pure art. I do vote to build a Frivole collection! :biggrin: :heart:

View attachment 5970757

View attachment 5970759
@BigAkoya agree with all your points! I was also concerned with the chain been so flimsy but less with the flowers moving. Maybe the ideal solution is if they were to release this piece in a full bangle style (not open) in the future.
I have the YG version of this Frivole bracelet and LOVE it. I just picked it up last week and have already worn it a few times (including today actually!)

Mine fits me pretty closely to my wrist, so I don't find that it flips or moves around too often. The smaller flowers that sit below my wrist flip once in a while, but not too much where it would be annoying, and it has usually been when I am taking a coat/jacket on or off. While it isn't that often for me in the first place, I think it may happen less in warmer weather without long sleeves to contend with.

No, I don't find the chain too flimsy. It feels similar to my 5 motif alhambra bracelet, which I have always liked the look and feel of. However, the Frivole flowers are just so pretty...I keep looking down at my wrist!

Personally, I would not stack this bracelet. It looks great on its own and may look less polished bumping up against other bracelets. I also am not much of a stacker, though, so you do you!

You're right. :smile:
@citykitty24 Thank you! I definitely would not stack it with anything besides a simple bangle or tennis bracelet (depends on if I go with the YG or WG version), if I stack at all. Glad to hear the chain and movement has not been a big issue for you. The flowers are lovely and truly amazing to admire.

@MomMomx3 and @Hiker4life
Thank you for the comment on the leggings. I love Pucci leggings (so groovy! :biggrin: :heart:), and they come out with new prints each season. In case you (or anyone else) are interested, this print is called Iride. I love the colors; it's super fun. The collection is from last season, but there are still pieces around, maybe even on sale. Here is a link as FYI so you can research:

To stay on topic and talk VCA...
I thought I would share my thoughts on the Butterfly BTF ring and Frivole WG pave earrings...

I really like the butterfly ring, and I like sets. The obvious thing to do would be to get the matching earrings.
I tried the earrings to make a set, but worn together, the look was too cutesy for me (too many butterflies everywhere).
Hence, plan B was to wear the butterfly ring with the WG Frivole pave earrings for the fauna & flora theme.

After wearing those two pieces together a few times, I felt it did not quite work. Why?
Because the butterfly wings are sharp, like a marquise shape (which is also the shape of the center diamond) while the Frivole petals are round. When worn together, it felt off to me, like I was just throwing pieces on, which is not what I like to do.

Hmm, I need plan C. Plan C is... the Lotus earrings!
For those who have patiently followed my past posts, you know I am not a fan of the Lotus earrings, and I only bought them to match my Lotus ring. I never wear the earrings with any other jewelry except for the Lotus ring.

Lo and behold, I wore the Lotus earrings with the butterfly ring, and I loved the look. The petals on the Lotus flower are sharp, like a marquise shape. I feel it works much better with the butterfly BTF ring.

I just wanted to share this in case anyone has a similar feeling about the butterfly and Frivole earrings being a bit "off" when worn together.
What a great review of the butterfly BTF ring, :heart: and how and what to pair. very helpful to curate one's collection/wishlist.

Reactions: BigAkoya
I only have one vca piece which is the sweet Alhambra bracelet and I now am looking at vintage Alhambra (yes I am still in that phase lol). Therefore looking at many pictures in the website.

To my surprise, I just found out my bracelet doesn’t have the double loops (for two length options as seen in the website). I wasn’t really into fine jewelry back then when my husband gifted me this; it must have been a decade ago. We just walked into the VCA store, picked a piece and the SA checked my sizing and off we left (my husband wasn’t feeling that well that night so we purposely didn’t stay too long). Did I miss that at the store or VCA has the design changed over the years? I could check the links returned which I’ve kept (but I don’t recall seeing the extra loop) but i can’t access it at the moment till tomorrow.
Replying to myself, I found the links and yes there is an extra hoop.

I wonder why the SA didn’t ask me if I wanted the extra hoop intact when I was shortening it. Or is that a store standard?

I’ve been thinking about passing my sweet MOP to my daughter. Meaning to further shorten it but i need the extra hoop back (she is still in elementary; room for growth).

IMG_7336.jpeg

👋 Hi, may I get your expertise pls,
A) Onyx 5m bracelet YG - Buy new or
B) Guilloche 5m bracelet YG - preloved 2022 complete set 1 owner, original length;
Both are equally the same price, which one would you pick A or B?
It'll be 1st VCA piece. Thank you.
For your first piece, I would buy it new from the boutique. I personally love onyx, it seems to match everything and it is the most carefree stone. However, if you prefer guilloche even a little more, I would get that one new; the waitlist will get to you faster than you expect (unless you need it for a certain milestone date, in which case I would do the onyx, new, as your first purchase).

Reactions: hhw and hja
👋 Hi, may I get your expertise pls,
A) Onyx 5m bracelet YG - Buy new or
B) Guilloche 5m bracelet YG - preloved 2022 complete set 1 owner, original length;
Both are equally the same price, which one would you pick A or B?
It'll be 1st VCA piece. Thank you.
Def get it brand new as your first piece for the full VCA experience :yes: Also assuming you may need to adjust the length of the bracelet to fit better to your wrist, brand new you won't have to pay for the service fee, whereas prelove you'll have to pay for the adjustment.

For your first piece, I would buy it new from the boutique. I personally love onyx, it seems to match everything and it is the most carefree stone. However, if you prefer guilloche even a little more, I would get that one new; the waitlist will get to you faster than you expect (unless you need it for a certain milestone date, in which case I would do the onyx, new, as your first purchase).
Thank you 😊 I would eventually get both as I'm travelling to Paris next year so would like to get a Souvenir for that trip celebrating the big 5 O👩‍🦳 😅

Reactions: nicole0612
Def get it brand new as your first piece for the full VCA experience :yes: Also assuming you may need to adjust the length of the bracelet to fit better to your wrist, brand new you won't have to pay for the service fee, whereas prelove you'll have to pay for the adjustment.
Thank you, good point. Definitely will need some links taken out. I'm actually thinking of ordering from website as onyx is available in AUS but through the SA I met both bracelet will have to wait :sad:

Thank you, good point. Definitely will need some links taken out. I'm actually thinking of ordering from website as onyx is available in AUS but through the SA I met both bracelet will have to wait :sad:
If you want to start building a relationship with the SA for convenience, I think it's fine to wait for the onyx, the wait time is usually quite short and most likely you won't have to worry about picking the right color for onyx, just to make sure there are no noticeable imperfections on the piece (or pieces) you're being offered. But of course, if you don't want to wait then go ahead and order from the website. :smile:

Reactions: Cartier_loveaffair
I recently purchased in store a pair or sweet Alhambra carnelian earstuds which are set in rose gold. I also placed an order for the vintage alhambra hammered gold pendant in RG. I did not get a chance to try both pieces on at the same time and I am not sure if they will work well together. Has anyone worn this combination?
What do you normally pair with you sweet carnelian earrings outside of the matching alhambra carnelian pendant?

I’m thinking I should just nix the thought of a matching pendant and get the 5 motif RG guilloche and carnelian bracelet. Thoughts?

View attachment 5969148

I have the same sweet earrings in carnelian but in YG and wear with the YG hammered vintage pendant and they are great together!

Reactions: beandocx4