VCA ~ Van Cleef Arpels Discussion thread!

@BigAkoya Your DH does have a good point about color, and your idea of the leather jewelry tray is great, also! Once when we were already driving home from the beach, I realized my rings were not on my hand!!! I knew they must be on the granite bathroom countertop where they were hard for me to see as I scanned the rooms for anything we might have left!! In a near panic I called the maid, and she found them and put them in a safe place where a friend who would be going down there could send them to me! So I learned a HUGE lesson to never, ever leave a jewelry item out on any surface when travelling!!! They are either put back into the jewelry case or in a small bowl or whatever I have designated as the jewelry container!
Omg that is terrifying, i am so glad the maid kept it safe for you!
When i was newly married i nearly forgot my rings in a hotel. So scary

Here's another cube jewelry case by Leatherology very similar to Wolf. It comes with 2 suede pouches instead of the insert with zipper sections that the Wolf one has. They happen to have a black with nickel (silver) hardware (a taupe/ginger and rose with nickel) and several other colors in anyone wants to compare the options.

The medium Leatherology case is 5" W x 5.2" D x 2.6" H Wolf: 4.5" L X 4.5" W X 3.75" H

So the Wolf has a greater height, so you'd have to determine which would hold the amount of jewelry you usually take when you travel. I don't think the Leatherology would work if someone wanted to take strands of pearls in addition to some pendants, bracelets, and rings. I tend to not take a lot of jewelry with me, so I could probably use either one. My main jewelry box is by Wolf, though.

Just saw they have the leather valet trays if one doesn't care about branding for a travel piece.

Yes, I travel with my pearls if I am not wearing them. As you can guess, pearls are bulky, and actually, the reason why I purchased this cube was for bulky pieces like pearls and bangles. VCA is actually not bulky at all.

For travel, I take my pearl strands and and drop them into the pouch. Basically, I open up the pouch and let them drop wherever they want to. I do not coil them up or anything, I just let them naturally land. Then I pull the string tight and just put then in the cube.

On your pearls, I'm surprised they snapped. Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I've never had a strand snap, and I am tough with my pearls. I've had them caught in places or pulled at them, and the silk thread stretched. However, the silk thread has never snapped. Maybe let your person know who restrung them and check to see if they used silk? Strange.

Here is a photo of how an example of how I would pack if I were say, bringing my VCA and pearls.
The medium VCA pouches always goes first, at the bottom as the base. Then you see three little VCA pouches or however many pieces I want to take. Next would be my pearls and I just pile them in to fill the gaps. Finally, on top is always a cleaning cloth, and in this photo, you see it's the white Mikimoto cleaning cloth.

A comment on cleaning cloths for what it's worth...
I do not rotate my cleaning cloths and use only the brand's cloth with the brand.
A cloth is a cloth, so I prefer to use one for a while, then when it starts to look dingy, I will toss it, and use another cloth. Currently, the travel cloth in my Cube is my Mikimoto cloth, and it will stay in my cube for travel, regardless of if I am packing my pearls or not. If you zoom in, you can see that cloth is a getting a bit dingy. Next time I travel, I'll probably toss it and open up the next cloth, probably a VCA just to rotate them. You get so many of these cloths and pouches, and I like to use fresh ones. Otherwise, you're just wiping dirt back on to the piece. And no, I don't wash my cloths. I think I read somewhere you can wash them gently and let them air dry, but I would rather have a fresh one. That's just me.

Oh, I also posted a photo of the pearl pouches out of the Cube. You can see how plump the pouches are with my pearls inside because pearls are very bulky. The two big pearl pouches are long strands (34" and 38"). The two smaller pearl pouches are bracelets, one in each pouch. I just did that as an example, but you can stuff it with a lot. Even so, look at the first photo, and you can see there is still space to put more items... I would normally add a few more items and you can see there is tons of space.

Finally, I don't use any of those earring holder holes or ring band at the top of the Cube. I am sure people do, and it is meant for that. If you also use them, that's even more space. The Cube is very spacious.
For me, I prefer to have each piece in its own pouch. I know pouches take up space, but that's just my preference.

Hope this helps, and I hope you can get your pearls restrung fast.

View attachment 5220391View attachment 5220392
This is amazing! Thank you--it's a big help. I've tried so many bags and pouches . . . when traveling I usually dress up more and want the jewelry with me, but packing it's always an issue. You've converted me! I'm trotting off to the website to order.

This is amazing! Thank you--it's a big help. I've tried so many bags and pouches . . . when traveling I usually dress up more and want the jewelry with me, but packing it's always an issue. You've converted me! I'm trotting off to the website to order.
For you, with all your bling... I think you need two cubes! A VCA cube, and a pearl cube! :biggrin:
It fits a lot, not to mention it's so adorable with the little handle.

Yes, I travel with my pearls if I am not wearing them. As you can guess, pearls are bulky, and actually, the reason why I purchased this cube was for bulky pieces like pearls and bangles. VCA is actually not bulky at all.

For travel, I take my pearl strands and and drop them into the pouch. Basically, I open up the pouch and let them drop wherever they want to. I do not coil them up or anything, I just let them naturally land. Then I pull the string tight and just put then in the cube.

On your pearls, I'm surprised they snapped. Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I've never had a strand snap, and I am tough with my pearls. I've had them caught in places or pulled at them, and the silk thread stretched. However, the silk thread has never snapped. Maybe let your person know who restrung them and check to see if they used silk? Strange.

Here is a photo of how an example of how I would pack if I were say, bringing my VCA and pearls.
The medium VCA pouches always goes first, at the bottom as the base. Then you see three little VCA pouches or however many pieces I want to take. Next would be my pearls and I just pile them in to fill the gaps. Finally, on top is always a cleaning cloth, and in this photo, you see it's the white Mikimoto cleaning cloth.

A comment on cleaning cloths for what it's worth...
I do not rotate my cleaning cloths and use only the brand's cloth with the brand.
A cloth is a cloth, so I prefer to use one for a while, then when it starts to look dingy, I will toss it, and use another cloth. Currently, the travel cloth in my Cube is my Mikimoto cloth, and it will stay in my cube for travel, regardless of if I am packing my pearls or not. If you zoom in, you can see that cloth is a getting a bit dingy. Next time I travel, I'll probably toss it and open up the next cloth, probably a VCA just to rotate them. You get so many of these cloths and pouches, and I like to use fresh ones. Otherwise, you're just wiping dirt back on to the piece. And no, I don't wash my cloths. I think I read somewhere you can wash them gently and let them air dry, but I would rather have a fresh one. That's just me.

Oh, I also posted a photo of the pearl pouches out of the Cube. You can see how plump the pouches are with my pearls inside because pearls are very bulky. The two big pearl pouches are long strands (34" and 38"). The two smaller pearl pouches are bracelets, one in each pouch. I just did that as an example, but you can stuff it with a lot. Even so, look at the first photo, and you can see there is still space to put more items... I would normally add a few more items and you can see there is tons of space.

Finally, I don't use any of those earring holder holes or ring band at the top of the Cube. I am sure people do, and it is meant for that. If you also use them, that's even more space. The Cube is very spacious.
For me, I prefer to have each piece in its own pouch. I know pouches take up space, but that's just my preference.

Hope this helps, and I hope you can get your pearls restrung fast.

View attachment 5220391View attachment 5220392
I’m so enabled by your travel posts. Time for an upgrade to my case!

• Love
Reactions: BigAkoya
Since we're talking travel... I would like to share one more item if I may, and then I'll zip as I know this is a bit off topic.

I go nuts for travel accessories... Travelling with our bling... here's another item I like... a valet tray!
VCA does not make leather valet trays which bums me out, but many luxury brands do.
I love valet trays and use one in my hotel room and put it on the desk. They are also known as coin trays, catch-all trays, trinket trays, etc. At night when I take off my jewelry and watch, I put those items in my valet tray.

Here are some examples for inspiration. If you decide to purchase one, be sure to pay attention to size as some trays can be very large. You can un-snap them so they lay flat and toss them in your luggage. Hope some of you might find this helpful too.

I love this one, so happy: Catchall tray in Tiffany Blue® leather. | Tiffany & Co.

Hermes mini version: Mises et Relances Desk mini change tray | Hermès USA (hermes.com)
The larger version (too big in my opinion): Mises et Relances change tray | Hermès USA (hermes.com)

Mikimoto Suede Jewelry Tray (mikimotoamerica.com)

Cartier CROG000519 - Must de Cartier MM trinket tray - burgundy calfskin, golden finish - Cartier
Thanks for this suggestion - I'm always trying to corral my jewelry/watch/airpods/valet card in hotel rooms. Makes so much sense to bring a valet tray (and who doesn't love Tiffany blue! :love:).

Since we're talking travel... I would like to share one more item if I may, and then I'll zip as I know this is a bit off topic.

I go nuts for travel accessories... Travelling with our bling... here's another item I like... a valet tray!
VCA does not make leather valet trays which bums me out, but many luxury brands do.
I love valet trays and use one in my hotel room and put it on the desk. They are also known as coin trays, catch-all trays, trinket trays, etc. At night when I take off my jewelry and watch, I put those items in my valet tray.

Here are some examples for inspiration. If you decide to purchase one, be sure to pay attention to size as some trays can be very large. You can un-snap them so they lay flat and toss them in your luggage. Hope some of you might find this helpful too.

I love this one, so happy: Catchall tray in Tiffany Blue® leather. | Tiffany & Co.

Hermes mini version: Mises et Relances Desk mini change tray | Hermès USA (hermes.com)
The larger version (too big in my opinion): Mises et Relances change tray | Hermès USA (hermes.com)

Mikimoto Suede Jewelry Tray (mikimotoamerica.com)

Cartier CROG000519 - Must de Cartier MM trinket tray - burgundy calfskin, golden finish - Cartier
I have an inexpensive valet tray made of fabric (bought it at my needlepoint store) which can be unsnapped to lie flat and remains in my luggage. It's practically the first thing I unpack. Unless it's in the safe, my jewelry goes there. Period.

Bling, no matter how big, is too easy to misplace and this insures it has a dedicated spot. Whether it's fabric, Tiffany or Cartier, I agree with @BigAkoya, this is an essential (in my book, crucial) travel accessory.

This collection is very limited in production and is typically by order.
My SA contacted Europe to inquire on a ring for me as there are none in NA. He was told there is only one Hellebore Lapis ring in all of VCA, and they just finished making it for a client. The good news is my SA got agreement they would mail the ring to my SA and allow me to see and try it on. This is the ring. The photo is not mine, I found it on social media. As I recall, the person posted it was in Japan, and it was the launched last year in Nov 2020. It was launched with limited pieces in Japan and NA. That’s all I know about this new collection.
View attachment 5218896
Have you put in an order for this ring yet? Within the last few months, I have started to seriously consider this ring! I know I am adding the lapis RDN mini earrings and need something to match. The RDN necklace did nothing for me and my SA suggested this ring. I’m usually not a WG lover but given the small amount of YG on the RDN earrings, she said it should be a fine match and I cannot agree more! 2022 needs to come sooner so I can reset my jewelry budget with DH LOL!

Have you put in an order for this ring yet? Within the last few months, I have started to seriously consider this ring! I know I am adding the lapis RDN mini earrings and need something to match. The RDN necklace did nothing for me and my SA suggested this ring. I’m usually not a WG lover but given the small amount of YG on the RDN earrings, she said it should be a fine match and I cannot agree more! 2022 needs to come sooner so I can reset my jewelry budget with DH LOL!
Yes and no. I told my SA I want to order one. My SA is bringing in the one ring available for me to see in real life and try on. If I like it, which I am 99% sure I will love it, I will order (e.g. pay) for one to be made. He is bringing in other pieces for me to try on. I need to fly to see him, so we time our visits when he can get the goodies in. I will fly there in 1.5 weeks. :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

I will try and take photos of the ring if he allows it. Technically, that ring they are sending over is sold and not mine, so I do want to be respectful of that if no modshots are allowed of that particular piece.

Did you already get the RDN lapis earrings? I was planning on wearing the Hellebore with my Lotus earrings as that is what they show online. However, I am now thinking of lapis earrings and will ask if they will make a small version of Hellebore. If no, RDN lapis in WG would be my next choice. Did you ask if they could order one in WG? If they will not, then for me, I will skip RDN. I'm a purist and can't mix metals, not even a tiny drop. :biggrin:

So... ask me in 1.5 weeks if I put in my order! I hope to say yes yes yes! :biggrin: :heart:

Last edited:
Reactions: hhw and ThisVNchick
There is a lot of excellent advice on this thread. I note that there are a number of concerns from folks about wear and tear, how to wear certain pieces and with what other jewelry to avoid scratches etc. In my view, life is short so wear what you like, when you like. There are few hard and fast rules these days so You do You. Take care of your jewelry but do enjoy it regularly. We all love to admire it on you and thats why everyone asks for mod shots! I find my jewelry becomes almost part of me and I like it that way.

A shout out to Big Akoya when she talks about a travel tray (catchall, valet tray) because we all want to take good care of our VCA and other fine jewelry. There are many places to get cute catchalls including Etsy. Never leave your ring, bangle, whatever on the sink ledge! The safest pace is on your person (insert advice from Notorious Pink here where she keeps her jewels with her when she travels - I do the same). So many friends have lost many carats (not carrots) down the garbage disposal, left them behind in the hotel room, in a the public restroom, etc. When we travel, we are not in familiar surroundings and not in our usual routines so loss is even more of an issue. I do use a catchall (I have two different sizes and take whichever one I need depending on the jewelry I plan to wear) and put my jewelry in the exact same place every night of my away stay. Your family jeweler or Cartier, VCA, whatever can polish regularly worn items or clean them if they get dirty, scratched, or dingy, and white gold can be re-rhodiumed, etc. but for me, losing jewelry because I absentmindedly left it someplace is a NO. Fine jewelry is to be enjoyed and worn and glows with wear. Jewelry houses like VCA, Cartier, Bulgari, Tiffany (insert your favorite jewelry here) etc and a good jeweler in general can keep all our gold, diamonds, gemstones, etc looking great. Wear your bling in good health. From what I see on TPF, you all look marvelous.

Yes and no. I told my SA I want to order one. My SA is bringing in the one ring available for me to see in real life and try on. If I like it, which I am 99% sure I will love it, I will order (e.g. pay) for one to be made. He is bringing in other pieces for me to try on. I need to fly to see him, so we time our visits when he can get the goodies in. I will fly there in 1.5 weeks. :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

I will try and take photos of the ring if he allows it. Technically, that ring they are sending over is sold and not mine, so I do want to be respectful of that if no modshots are allowed of that particular piece.

Did you already get the RDN lapis earrings? I was planning on wearing the Hellebore with my Lotus earrings as that is what they show online. However, I am now thinking of lapis earrings and will ask if they will make a small version of Hellebore. If no, RDN lapis in WG would be my next choice. Did you ask if they could order one in WG? If they will not, then for me, I will skip RDN. I'm a purist and can't mix metals, not even a tiny drop. :biggrin:

So... ask me in 1.5 weeks if I put in my order! I hope to say yes yes yes! :biggrin: :heart:
I have not purchased the earrings. Throughout the year, I was offered two different pairs, but I felt they were too plain (just blue), not enough of the gold inclusions. I think that's what I love about lapis, the light catching the gold flecks and having that sparkle effect on the blue stone. With VCA, I try to be picky with my purchases, as the stones used are not really not expensive/valuable stones, so I try to get exactly what I want, regardless of what how low the inventory is. If it takes time to source the right color/inclusions, I will wait. My SA says towards the end of the year, they tend to have more RDN to choose from because that's what's marketed during that time. So we'll see what happens.

In terms of the gold, I am just getting it in YG. I see no need to change it to WG gold. The only gold color showing is the prongs/sticks holding the center diamonds. The backings are covered by the petals and that's where most of the gold weight is. Plus, I've reasoned that since the earrings and the ring will be so far away from each other that having that sliver of YG/WG difference shouldn't really be a deal breaker.

With VCA, we'll never know what's going to be released. The Hellebore collection is so new, I wouldn't be surprised to see them add earrings to the collection down the road. That said, I think what many people did not like about the collection were the sharp lines/edges. I love how bold and beautiful the lines make the ring, but I don't know if I would like such sharp edges around my face. But then again, I'll never know until I see them and try them on!

I hope you like the ring that's being flown in for you to see. I am excited to see someone on the forum considering it. Hopefully the ordering process won't take too long (and hopefully we're able to request certain characteristics for the lapis stone)!! It's always nice to have someone go through it first so you can pick their brain later down the road. Ideally, I would want to have the ring sometime next year, but I don't know if that will be feasible. I am currently 26 weeks pregnant, due date late Jan 2022. I would love to make the trip to NYC and place an order then cross my fingers that the piece will be delivered within 6 months, but the idea of making a trip up to NYC with a newborn is almost impossible for me to envision at the moment. By the time she is "old" enough for me to leave her alone with the grandparents, I feel like it will push the production and delivery of the piece into 2023 :sad:

For what it is worth, I much prefer the lotus earnings to the RDN and think the lotus are a better match to the ring. Since earning are secondary to you I would focus on a big necklace piece instead. Like the lotus pendant.