US Customs discussion - airports, importing

My mom bought me an Evelyne and a Chanel wallet in HK for my birthday. Will it be better to have her ship it to me to the US from the Philippines, or should I wait and bring it back with me when I visit her in summer? Do we pay tax on gifted items? Thank you for any insight!

My mom bought me an Evelyne and a Chanel wallet in HK for my birthday. Will it be better to have her ship it to me to the US from the Philippines, or should I wait and bring it back with me when I visit her in summer? Do we pay tax on gifted items? Thank you for any insight!
Better bring back to you and pay a little tax. The first $800 is exempt. It wont be that much for those two items.

We flew into LAX and global entries are scanned in computer kiosk. Officers are at the exit To check.

MIA is the same - if you scan at global entry or apps such as mobile passport or MIA passport (last two often faster than GE) and you declare it will mark with an X. When you show the X they will decide if you need the additional inspection or if they waive you through.
But I think pablo and DIVA (spain version) might be connected to US customs. That is if you process VAT refund at Pablo or DIVA machine an alert is sent to US customs.

Came thru LAX from Paris. The line for custom was the worst this time, we waited an hour to be seen and a couple in front of us missed their connecting flight. We declared our items and the custom agent when by the book and charged us the proper rate (of course minus any deduction including the $1600 exemption for the both of us. However, the agent might have indirectly given me a break by not converting my items from EUR to USD, which then I would have to pay more.

Some agents really follow everything by the book. I had that happen to me one time.... my luck to arrive when they were training a new person :sad:
Exactly! Actually, most of my travels have been that way. Every time I have to pay the full duty fees except one time we were waived through, then of course my purchases were semi low that time.

Reactions: LadyD21
Hello! So I came back from Paris to Newark in the beginning of March. We went through customs as usual and the agent let me and my sister through without having to pay duty fees (he looked at our passports and saw my sister's birthday had just passed so he let us go). However, passing through baggage claim and trying to leave the airport, there were 2 agents at the exit doors checking everyones passport. That is where got stuck with an agent who said "you need to pay duties for these" and sent us to the area where someone calculates how much you owe. In all my times of travel, I nor anyone I know has ever been stopped by an agent right at the door to exit the airport. Has this ever happened to anyone? I thought there was no security required after baggage claim and literally just before leaving the airport. (To clarify, there was a line of people having their passports checked so everyone was subject to this, not just me and my sister)

Last edited:
Hello! So I came back from Paris to Newark in the beginning of March. We went through customs as usual and the agent let me and my sister through without having to pay duty fees (he looked at our passports and saw my sister's birthday had just passed so he let us go). However, passing through baggage claim and trying to leave the airport, there were 2 agents at the exit doors checking everyones passport. That is where got stuck with an agent who said "you need to pay duties for these" and sent us to the area where someone calculates how much you owe. In all my times of travel, I nor anyone I know has ever been stopped by an agent right at the door to exit the airport. Has this ever happened to anyone? I thought there was no security required after baggage claim and literally just before leaving the airport. (To clarify, there was a line of people having their passports checked so everyone was subject to this, not just me and my sister)
Yes, this happened to me at Newark right at the exit from baggage claim. The agent looked at my form and said it was too much for him to let me through. We had declared the full value.

Reactions: Annalee1380
Yes, this happened to me at Newark right at the exit from baggage claim. The agent looked at my form and said it was too much for him to let me through. We had declared the full value.
Ah, that stinks :sad: I spoke with someone else on a different thread and she said that this is always the process (as in there is always another agent who will check your goods after baggage claim). In your case, did the agent in the first round of customs (the one before baggage claim) ask you about your goods? Because she also said that the first round of customs is just for entry (they don’t care about your goods), but as I stated, our first agent asked us about our goods too and let us go! Thanks for your input!

Hey guys, we are moving back home to the US. We currently live in london. Of course I am brining back my Louis Vuitton collection that i collected over the years which is about 70 pieces. whats the best way to go about this? As these are my used personal items do I need to pay taxes and declare them as well?

We went to Paris for Columbus Day weekend and my husband bought me a K25. Upon leaving Paris we detaxed and of course as usual the Pablo machine didnt accept it and we had to see a Customs officer. He asked for the item which I took out in its dust bag and attempted to open but he waved me off like he didnt need to see it. The officer did some typing on computer and stamped the paper and handed back passport and detaxe paperwork. We stepped to the side and i scanned the forms into my Global Blue app. I saw a stamp on the K25 paper but didnt really look at what the stamp said. The customs officer came out of the cubicle and told us to put the paperwork in the mailboxes just a couple of feet away. So we did but didnt think to snap a pic since we’ve always gotten our tax refund.
Fast forward a week later and i see on the app "Rejected by Customs”.
I called Global Blue and they said that French customs rejected the refund and asked if i had showed the item. We did everything that was required so cant understand why he rejected it and not tell us.
Background is my husband is French born and we presented his US Passport which clearly states he was born in France. Did this have to do w/ Customs rejecting detaxe?
Anybody else experience this??
Here she is on her first outing, K25 Sellier.

Attachments

• CE2D482A-7C9B-41CE-AE05-E804C38E0300.jpeg
    CE2D482A-7C9B-41CE-AE05-E804C38E0300.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 60
We went to Paris for Columbus Day weekend and my husband bought me a K25. Upon leaving Paris we detaxed and of course as usual the Pablo machine didnt accept it and we had to see a Customs officer. He asked for the item which I took out in its dust bag and attempted to open but he waved me off like he didnt need to see it. The officer did some typing on computer and stamped the paper and handed back passport and detaxe paperwork. We stepped to the side and i scanned the forms into my Global Blue app. I saw a stamp on the K25 paper but didnt really look at what the stamp said. The customs officer came out of the cubicle and told us to put the paperwork in the mailboxes just a couple of feet away. So we did but didnt think to snap a pic since we’ve always gotten our tax refund.
Fast forward a week later and i see on the app "Rejected by Customs”.
I called Global Blue and they said that French customs rejected the refund and asked if i had showed the item. We did everything that was required so cant understand why he rejected it and not tell us.
Background is my husband is French born and we presented his US Passport which clearly states he was born in France. Did this have to do w/ Customs rejecting detaxe?
Anybody else experience this??
Here she is on her first outing, K25 Sellier.
Gorgeous bag ( I see it on the Paris thread). I obviously can't add much except to ask if you declared the K at your US port of entry. The customs are now linked, and if you did not ( I am NOT stating/ implying that you didn't) it's not impossible that the lack of declaration on one end was kicked back to French customs and the discrepancy resulted in a rejection. But that is pure speculation on my part.
The fact that the goods were purchased under your husbands passport should not enter into it, if his permanent residence is in the US ( or wherever you deplaned and declared) and that is where the goods are being used. But no one has ever accused me of being a customs attorney!
If you cannot download the scanned paperwork from your app, perhaps contact GB and ask for copies so you can proceed.
Good luck!

Gorgeous bag ( I see it on the Paris thread). I obviously can't add much except to ask if you declared the K at your US port of entry. The customs are now linked, and if you did not ( I am NOT stating/ implying that you didn't) it's not impossible that the lack of declaration on one end was kicked back to French customs and the discrepancy resulted in a rejection. But that is pure speculation on my part.
The fact that the goods were purchased under your husbands passport should not enter into it, if his permanent residence is in the US ( or wherever you deplaned and declared) and that is where the goods are being used. But no one has ever accused me of being a customs attorney!
If you cannot download the scanned paperwork from your app, perhaps contact GB and ask for copies so you can proceed.
Good luck!
Hi, we did declare in US and CBP checked all of my luggage. After the inspection the officer thanked me for my honesty and waived us through.
Global stated that French customs denied our refund.

You should be able to get a copy of the scanned paperwork from GB ( or perhaps from your apps history on your phone). That's the place to start, I would think. Good luck.