Workplace Upset! My Boss told me to keep low profile!

Jul 27, 2010
Hi ladies, I'm working in a highly sensitive dept in my company. A lot of chances to meet outsiders and influence some important decision which involve money transaction. One of my colleagues was just being warned not to be so flashy as she always carries different designer bags and dress up nicely. My boss said our reputation to others should be conservative and low profile. I was sad to hear it as I also own several designer bags and Chanel. I feel my working life is bored if I can't carry it. Anyone Is in the same situation as me? Shall I consider to sell my bags since I will have less chance to carry them? I feel it's unfair to us as we have right to spend our money! But we always become the gossip topic for other dept!

Well, hard as it is, the boss is the boss and he probably knows what's best for the business.

Maybe you can wear your bags that don't have too many logos or too much bling on them.

I don't have that problem in my work, but I can understand (kind of) what your boss is saying. I bet that you could carry a discreet Chanel as long as you weren't too over the top in the outfit. It would be more helpful if the Boss could be specific! But I agree with other poster about carrying an epi LV or Marc Jacobs.... He has some great classic bags.

The other day I talked with a teacher who serves on an insurance board for her school. This insurance board has to work with consultants who are employees of an insurance company. As you may know, premiums continue to rise every year. Teachers are barely able to afford a living (let's alone paying for rising premiums). She said she was disgusted by seeing how fancy (and over the top) the outfits and accessories (and the cars) of those consultants. She felt that they have robbed from poor teachers to supplement their "high class" living expenses.

This is not to say that this example will apply to the OP's situation but I just want to say that outsiders may perceive it differently.

If that is the livelihood I'm making and it is dependent on other's perception, somehow I feel like it needs to be honored. Perception is reality (for them). But if it's different rules for different departments in the same company, I feel that's unfair. If I was dying to carry my Chanel bag to work, I'd put a black cloth bag over it whenever I'm in the office and take it off when I'm further away. But that's just me, it's important to ME what I'm carrying, not whether other people see them or not. I feel like that w lingerie too, only I know.

Well, I have to do sort of the same at work. I work in a super conservative environment(the medical field), I'm only allowed to wear basic colors such as black, gray, white, beige etc and only allowed to wear a wedding band and studs for accessories. Also, we are not allowed to wear heels since we walk around hospitals/medical facilities...so obviously, I have to keep low profile and keep it discreet. I still carry my Chanels to work, but I either carry the ones without the logo or if I'm carrying a flap or a tote that has the logo on it, I would flip it so that it's facing inward:yes:

I can still wear Chanel RTW as long as it's discreet/professional so I don't really mind!

i personally like to be more conservative when it comes to bags at work. I bought a black gucci canvas (the monogram are less obvious) to go to work.

and my boss never gave me a lecture.. haha only my collegues tease me about my bag obsession.

Hi ladies, I'm working in a highly sensitive dept in my company. A lot of chances to meet outsiders and influence some important decision which involve money transaction. One of my colleagues was just being warned not to be so flashy as she always carries different designer bags and dress up nicely. My boss said our reputation to others should be conservative and low profile. I was sad to hear it as I also own several designer bags and Chanel. I feel my working life is bored if I can't carry it. Anyone Is in the same situation as me? Shall I consider to sell my bags since I will have less chance to carry them? I feel it's unfair to us as we have right to spend our money! But we always become the gossip topic for other dept!
Sounds like your boss is like my husband.

I find it sad when a work environment dictates how you live your life to the extent that you cannot use expensive items. It is a sad reality that you can get judged for what you own. I drive a Mercedes Benz that we bought used and at a good price, it is even cheaper than our Honda CRV. We once had dinner with the boss, and I volunteered to drive to the restaurant. The boss's comment to me - "Do we pay you too much that you own a Mercedes?" I just kept quiet, I thought that was inappropriate.

Unfortunately this is something that some of us have to deal with. It really depends on where you work and what industry. There have been threads about this topic before and lots of people have said, "just wear what you want, who cares what people/your boss think!" However, that just isn't reality.

One day I was wearing CLs and a client made a comment about it. That was the last day I ever wore CLs to work. Even though fashion is something that I am passionate about, it is not worth it to draw too much attention at the office, or get yourself noticed for the wrong reasons.

Like others have said, you will have to either not wear your stuff to work, hide it, or find something that is under the radar. Have you considered a non-iconic Hermes bag? Most people are not going to have any idea what a garden party is (and it would be a great work tote). There are other under the radar bags and accessories too. You just need to find them. It is important not to upset people, but it is also important for you to be able to enjoy yourself (even if it is secretly!).

I find it sad when a work environment dictates how you live your life to the extent that you cannot use expensive items. It is a sad reality that you can get judged for what you own. I drive a Mercedes Benz that we bought used and at a good price, it is even cheaper than our Honda CRV. We once had dinner with the boss, and I volunteered to drive to the restaurant. The boss's comment to me - "Do we pay you too much that you own a Mercedes?" I just kept quiet, I thought that was inappropriate.

Wow, I'd be totally speechless too.....

Unfortunately, I can't carry any nice brand to work at all!! Because I mostly work with low income family so I really need to be sensitives with them. I have a one and half year-old now so I use diaper bag during weekend.......................I can only wear my chanel bags during special event at this point........... so sad............