Workplace Upset! My Boss told me to keep low profile!

It is a shame, but at least boss told you. Unfortunately people make a lot of assumptions about other people's lifestyle and $$$$. We all decide what to spend our money on and there are differences. However, one must live in the world, so I would just use something more discreet such as a reissue. The LV Epi is another good choice. Good luck!

I've had a similar issue at work. I am an attorney and one year I upgraded my e-ring after earning a nice bonus. Afterwards, I got comments to the effect that maybe they were paying me too much. This bothered me on several levels. First, I had worked really hard that year and felt I deserved to treat myself to something I had wanted for a long time. Second, we bought the ring in the diamond district in NY and paid wholesale. It was actually a great deal! Third, I should be able to spend my money any way I want.

I was also told that I should not wear designer items or fancy jewelry in court, particularly for a jury trial, as it could influence the jury negatively. It is unfortunate, but I would not want the way I dressed to impact a client adversely, so I always dressed more conservatively for court.

For bags, I think it depends on how prominent the designer label is. I think a reissue doesn't scream Chanel and I have no problem wearing my reissues in a work context. In fact, I have had many people compliment my bag and ask where I got and then express shock that it is a Chanel. I guess most people think Chanel is dripping with CCs. So, maybe a more subtle Chanel bag like a reissue would work for you? I personally love my reissues.

i think some major firms have firmwide policies to this effect and i have heard even moreso in these times. "austerity" it's not surprising to me, whether coming from male or female. and as for lawyers in court i can definitely see that. but i also think there is an element of/fine line that if you dress well and have nice things that might mean you are a good/successful lawyer doctor banker whatever... and would be a good thing.
Hey OP~ Is your boss male or female?

Interesting...maybe it's just your boss! Like mine, he's the only observant one, the rest of the staff doesn't even know what is LV, don't even mention Chanel!

My boss is a lady. She is actually nice and never border what we wear and carry. She is not a branded person, so she won notice our designer stuff too. Unfortunately, the staff from other dept always gossip about us and "complain" to her that we seem like spending more than what we earn! They suspect us involved in cases of corruption! The gossip is getting worst until my boss has to warn one of my colleagues and hint to the rest of us. Actually some ppl will really spend more than what they earn, but it's their right! Those gossiping ppl could also spend for others like house or car. They didn't spend on designer stuff doesn't mean they didnt spend on others!

Thx for all the suggestion on other low profile brand and model. I did carry Balenciaga bags which I think is a low profile bag. However the next day I carried it, one senior manager already noticed it! I feel like lying her that it's a fake! I feel bad about it.

I think instead of your boss trying to tell you what you can and cannot carry, she needs to have a meeting with the others and set them straight about minding their own business. Them starting rumors about corruption and such could get really dangerous. Sounds like a bunch of jealous, catty women. Just my opinion of course.

Exactly! I feel the same. They are just jealous and talking about nonsenses. I just want to enjoy my bag quietly as I really appreciate their design and quality. I never want to show off. But I can't hide them!

ITA w/Chi town Chanel!

When I was working outside the home, I tried to find a compromise between expressing myself and respecting my professional role in other people's lives. I definitely tried to keep a low profile image. Like Chi town Chanel, I think drawing too much attention for the wrong reason isn't worth it. It may not have been fair, but for me, it wasn't a difficult compromise.

As for your question, I don't think you should sell your bags, just because you feel that you can't wear them to work.

Unfortunately this is something that some of us have to deal with. It really depends on where you work and what industry. There have been threads about this topic before and lots of people have said, "just wear what you want, who cares what people/your boss think!" However, that just isn't reality.

One day I was wearing CLs and a client made a comment about it. That was the last day I ever wore CLs to work. Even though fashion is something that I am passionate about, it is not worth it to draw too much attention at the office, or get yourself noticed for the wrong reasons.

Like others have said, you will have to either not wear your stuff to work, hide it, or find something that is under the radar. Have you considered a non-iconic Hermes bag? Most people are not going to have any idea what a garden party is (and it would be a great work tote). There are other under the radar bags and accessories too. You just need to find them. It is important not to upset people, but it is also important for you to be able to enjoy yourself (even if it is secretly!).

if i work for miranda, i'd flaunt all my chanels

if a volunteer job or working for charitable institutions, i would be sensitive enough to leave those at home

if none of the above, i would certainly, wear it with pride! heck i work hard for the money i paid for my bags regardless of what other people would say (save in some exceptions of course where, an outcome strongly depends on the material things you wear, sigh)

I don't understand, it is your money to spend. The boss doesn't have the right to interfere, no link to your nature of business at all. It is not like you are using the business money to buy your luxuries.

I think that's just silly.
I don't really wear designer stuff to work because I fear theft, but personally if a boss ever told me to "keep a low profile" I would look over any and all contracts you signed.
Is there an employee "handbook" at all?

If neither of these things mention dress, it's arbitrary on your boss's part and I would not take that person's advice.

I think it's silly for people to give you a hard time about your designer luxuries. I don't have any issues with co-workers ect., but my mother will give me a hard time when she sees me with nice things. I usually just tell her it was a gift from my boyfriend (even though it's not) and she generally calms down afterwords.
Perhaps you ladies can also tell your critics that your items were "gifts". lol

Hi ladies, I'm working in a highly sensitive dept in my company. A lot of chances to meet outsiders and influence some important decision which involve money transaction. One of my colleagues was just being warned not to be so flashy as she always carries different designer bags and dress up nicely. My boss said our reputation to others should be conservative and low profile. I was sad to hear it as I also own several designer bags and Chanel. I feel my working life is bored if I can't carry it. Anyone Is in the same situation as me? Shall I consider to sell my bags since I will have less chance to carry them? I feel it's unfair to us as we have right to spend our money! But we always become the gossip topic for other dept!

be grateful that you were told!:smile:It is not unheard of - for people to jump into all sorts of conclusions and whether we like it or not, what we wear, TELLS A STORY about who we are. Think carefully what sort of story you want others to hear. In the UK not that long ago - there were strict rules as to what was the 'done' or the not 'done' thing in terms of wardrobe ans appropriate outfits. (in fact there still is...) You would not be told you got it wrong, but you'd be an outsider.