Unmarried/single women wearing engagement type rings

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Yes! I totally agree. Everybody cares! Let's not kid ourselves. Dressing up is an art and we don't live alone in a cave.

2. It's kinda weird imo...and I am not the most traditional person on earth but I still have SOME traditional views and wearing an engagement style ring when you're not engaged is odd af.

3. Wear whatever makes your heart content.

Happy birthday!

kate2828 likes this.
  4. I visited the Caribbean and bought myself an oval halo diamond ring! Its soon beautiful and I wear it on my right hand ring finger. Sometimes I get asked if I got engaged and I just tell them the truth that I bought the ring for myself because I fell in love with it. No shame here!

kate2828 and AntiqueShopper like this.
  5. Hmmm.

I've been around for a long time, and I've never seen ANY divorced woman wear her wedding or engagement ring under any circumstances.

6. I think you shouldn't let some invented tradition control what jewellery you want to own and how you want to wear it.

Read about it on Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_finger

Before medical science discovered how the circulatory system functioned, people believed that a vein ran directly from the third finger on the left hand to the heart.[citation needed] Because of the hand–heart connection, they chose the descriptive name vena amoris, Latin for the vein of love, for this particular vein.[3]

Based upon this name, their contemporaries, purported experts in the field of matrimonial etiquette, wrote that it would only be fitting that the wedding ring be worn on this finger.[citation needed] By wearing the ring on the third finger of the left hand, a married couple symbolically declares their eternal love for each other.

So it's not even that only an engagement ring be worn on that finger, it's that that finger "must be" the only finger the ring is worn upon.

In Western cultures, a wedding ring is traditionally worn on the ring finger. This developed from the Roman "anulus pronubis" when the man gave a ring to the woman at the betrothal ceremony. Blessing the wedding ring and putting it on the bride's finger dates from the 11th century. In medieval Europe, the Christian wedding ceremony placed the ring in sequence on the thumb, index, middle, and ring fingers of the left hand. The ring was then left on the ring finger. In a few European countries, the ring is worn on the left hand prior to marriage, then transferred to the right during the ceremony. For example, a Greek Orthodoxbride wears the ring on the left hand prior to the ceremony, then moves it to the right hand after the wedding. In England, the 1549 Prayer Book declared "the ring shall be placed on the left hand". By the 17th and 18th centuries the ring could be found on any finger after the ceremony — even on the thumb.

And it goes on to describe how different countries (plenty of Westernised ones too) do it differently. So I say do what you like :smile:

I am unmarried, and recently had a period of separation from my long term partner. However, currently I'm sporting a diamond solitaire, gold band and half eternity band on my left ring finger. It looks like a full wedding set but I don't pass it off as one. It's just very pretty all together. I shouldn't need to be lucky in love and well off enough for a wedding to enjoy beautiful things!

Maxt, Marlee, JenW and 1 other person like this.
  7. I agree with the posters here - get what makes you happy. For myself, when I went thru a divorce many years ago, I wore an emerald-cut blue topaz on my left hand ring finger. It just felt comfortable, and I kind of used it as a "shield" until I was ready to date again. Happily remarried now. Would love to see your final choice. Thanks for letting me share.

kate2828 and JenW like this.
  8. Just speaking from experience, anything that looks like it is a nice wedding or engagement ring, if worn on either left or right hand will discourage single men from approaching you. The whole "put a ring on it" really does effectively send a message to the opposite sex about your availability. Just FYI if this is not a message you intend to send. I never thought about this until I got my engagement ring which I sometimes wear on my right hand and I joke about it to my husband that it really is a man repeller...to which his response was, the nicer the ring, the more effective the message, "beware! This woman is a lot of work! Stay away!" Lol.

Julide likes this.
  9. i agree with you. The men would be a little bit discouraged to talk with you, because i also have just a ring with a kind of a big stone. It looks like an engagement ring but it is not and i got asked often if i am married :P

califl likes this.
  10. There are plenty of diamond rings that don't look like engagement or wedding rings. I bought loose diamonds and had them set when I was single. The designs did not look like engagement rings.

kate2828 likes this.
  11. Of course there are, but the OP WANTS to wear an engagement type ring.

12. Just wanted to say, I agree with the others. Right hand ring should be fine, just if worn on the ring finger on the left hand, you would probably have people assuming you are engaged. Get what you love and post pix!

13. I love rings. Not diamond rings (I'm too young to afford that sort of thing) but I wear a lot of different types of rings, sometimes a bunch of different ones together stacked on multiple fingers. I've had guys ask me if I have a 'boyfriend or something' and someone even asked if I was married. Mind you, it was simple stack of 3 rings none of which cost more than $50. Absurdity. My point is, as everyone else said, wear what you want and what makes you happy. Men are clueless to be honest so whether it's on your right hand, it's not even a diamond or it's on your middle finger, they may still be confused. You might get questions but then you can retort with "Nope, I bought it for myself after my huge bonus" ;) Girl, you earned your money, don't let some outdated tradition dictate how you spend it.

Marlee and JenW like this.
  14. OP also stated she was open to other suggestions.

If one wants to wear an engagement type ring without being engaged, go for it, but then don't be surprised or offended if people ask or assume you're engaged. That would be like slapping a steak on your plate when you're a vegetarian and wondering why people think you eat meat.

missboss123 and califl like this.
  15. I wear my mother's engagement ring on my left hand, and no one has ever questioned it!