universally appealing?

oh that sounds lovely. why oh why doesn't the H site have more designs to look at.
i think the age range at dd's school is more like mid-thirties and up up up. she's in the nursery program and none of the parents in that class are under 30, and some are early 40s. the auction is school-wide so some parents are in their 50s for sure.

OK. Gotcha..... Here's a pic of the Musique des Spheres in the only colorway on the H site. I'm sure they have other colorways in the store......I'd bid on this baby if I were a parent at your school.....that's for sure!

http://usa.hermes.com/webapp/wcs/st...CategoryId=10707&topCategoryId=10702&nbItem=0

OK. Gotcha..... Here's a pic of the Musique des Spheres in the only colorway on the H site. I'm sure they have other colorways in the store......I'd bid on this baby if I were a parent at your school.....that's for sure!

http://usa.hermes.com/webapp/wcs/st...CategoryId=10707&topCategoryId=10702&nbItem=0

tangle and shopmom - wow, i am surprised myself at how much i like this one (musique des sphere). and knotted it's really nice. the blue is so neutral and wonderfully muted too. okay, my list is officially beginning (i would like to be able to look at 2 or 3 styles) with musique des spheres (i like that i personally think it's beautiful but i would be able to resist bidding because i'm committed to the paris modiste scarf for '07). i guess the auction would go quite well if we had some tpf-ers there. lol

I vote for Brides de Gala as well. For several reasons:
a. it is the quintessential 'Hermes' scarf. Sold 70 Million times or so.
b. because of the way it is designed, with a lot of white and the design not so 'in your face' it is a very inobtrusive yet extremely elegant scarf that can be worn by all women
c. it is not a 'monogram' scarf (like the Bolduc)
d. you can get it with a border that suits most women, such as the pale pink border for instance
I think for an auction it is just perfect.

I vote against Brides de Gala for the following reasons:
(1) Oversold. People who buy Hermes scarves probably already have one.
(2) Overfaked. If 70 million have been sold, then 700 million have been faked.
(3) Too traditional looking, with WAY too big Hermes signature/emblem.

I'd go with a typicial Hermes equestrian motif, but one with far more colors and detail that really demonstrates the art of silkscreening. Perhaps something by the artist LeDoux?

I vote against Brides de Gala for the following reasons:
(1) Oversold. People who buy Hermes scarves probably already have one.
(2) Overfaked. If 70 million have been sold, then 700 million have been faked.
(3) Too traditional looking, with WAY too big Hermes signature/emblem.

I'd go with a typicial Hermes equestrian motif, but one with far more colors and detail that really demonstrates the art of silkscreening. Perhaps something by the artist LeDoux?
For argument's sake let me contradict you (can you tell I am a huge fan? ;))

1. oversold? Hermes reissued this scarf in new colourways for the A/W 2006 collection.
2. I haven't actually seen any (although I agree with your theory 100%! It is just I haven't seen a fake BdG on ebay or elsewhere....)
3. Let's just call it classical... ;) and yes the 'Brides de Gala' is big but the Hermes is small.....