Treatment in Hermes Stores

If I didn’t go in wearing the items I bought, firstly I wouldn’t have much else to wear and second it would all be kinda a waste?
:P You sound most well-put-together!

The first time I ever went to an H sale, I was in the queue and giving a running commentary to DH via WhatsApp. When I told him that a whole cluster of ladies in front of me were all in garments, bags and jewellery with prominent Chanel, Dior and LV logos, he wondered where was their H? He isn't much for designer wear, so he assumed that folks who buy H would wear H to buy more H. Meanwhile, the couple from Hongkong behind me were complaining bitterly that their purchases were capped at 40 pieces of RTW :smile:

When I first started shopping at H, I kept carrying different Chanel bags each time I went to the store to buy their leather bracelets and slg. Gradually, I became a regular face at the store.

The SA and SM noticed my Chanel collection and told me that they would love to see me carry a Hermes bag. I asked for a Birkin of course. [emoji8]

You might want to search for threads that speak to commissions wrt to slgs and silks. I don't know how much they "count" towards building a profile for a quota bag. Just sayin' in case your ultimate goal is a B offer.

Might not seem fair, but I guess this business model works for H and the limited supply of bags.

Is this why I keep hearing suggestions to spend $10k on fine jewelry for a faster shot at getting a B/K? Are the margins much higher and commissions much higher? Or just less work for the SA to sell 1-2 pieces of expensive jewelry instead of 25 x $400 silk scarves?

Is this why I keep hearing suggestions to spend $10k on fine jewelry for a faster shot at getting a B/K? Are the margins much higher and commissions much higher? Or just less work for the SA to sell 1-2 pieces of expensive jewelry instead of 25 x $400 silk scarves?

It is a combination of factors. Higher commission on certain categories, individual vs store selling quotas met for certain categories, all SA have to sell across many item categories and some items “sell themselves” (like SLG) while other categories require a more well-rounded customer (e.g. dining wear and home goods). SA will appreciate the customers who make their job easier in all ways, being pleasant and patient, showing sincere appreciation for all lines of the brand, buying across all lines of the brand, and or course buying items that yield a higher commission is always appreciated.

I've visited a few H stores recently in my quest for a belt and Evie. I used to be really intimidated but I've found the customer service to be great so far... better than my experiences at Chanel for sure. Here's my review of various stores I visited in the last 3 weeks alone:
  • Strasbourg: No service at all.... wandered the store looking for help and couldn't find someone to actually help me. It didn't even seem particularly busy in store... left after 30 mins of waiting.
  • Lyon: Wonderful service, especially at non-peak times like store opening. There is an Asian SA there who was particularly generous with his time. I needed to think about a purchase more but unfortunately when I came back later in the day, they were so swamped no one could help me actually buy the thing. :sad: Felt bad I couldn't give him the purchase after his kindness.
  • Munich City: Slightly snooty vibe but the SA who helped me was sweet. I purchased an Evie from her.... though overheard one of the other SAs literally scold a woman, saying, "You can't touch bags like that... this isn't a supermarket. You must wait for someone to help you. Just wait." I was appalled for the customer, who looked like a very well-mannered and well-dressed Asian woman.
  • Munich airport: Really wonderful service. I bought a belt from them... they were really honest with me and kept insisting I only buy things I love because it's not worth it otherwise. The opposite of high-pressure.
  • San Francisco: Snooty vibe... I definitely felt underdressed and unimportant in that environment. It seems like a place where you need to spend a lot to get good service or loyalty. I saw the SAs treating some customers really well, like family... me? Not so much.
  • Palo Alto: Great service, and not as busy as SF. The clientele is totally different here... honestly, most customers in the store look extremely dressed down. One woman next to me in line wore a worn out sweatshirt, literal sweatpants, beat up tennis sneakers, and had very dissheveled hair... but clearly she was ballin', as she carried a B35, a Clemence wallet, and bought 2 other bags. There's Silicon Valley for you. :smile:
And there go the ramblings of a recent H convert. :biggrin:

I've visited a few H stores recently in my quest for a belt and Evie. I used to be really intimidated but I've found the customer service to be great so far... better than my experiences at Chanel for sure. Here's my review of various stores I visited in the last 3 weeks alone:
  • Strasbourg: No service at all.... wandered the store looking for help and couldn't find someone to actually help me. It didn't even seem particularly busy in store... left after 30 mins of waiting.
  • Lyon: Wonderful service, especially at non-peak times like store opening. There is an Asian SA there who was particularly generous with his time. I needed to think about a purchase more but unfortunately when I came back later in the day, they were so swamped no one could help me actually buy the thing. :sad: Felt bad I couldn't give him the purchase after his kindness.
  • Munich City: Slightly snooty vibe but the SA who helped me was sweet. I purchased an Evie from her.... though overheard one of the other SAs literally scold a woman, saying, "You can't touch bags like that... this isn't a supermarket. You must wait for someone to help you. Just wait." I was appalled for the customer, who looked like a very well-mannered and well-dressed Asian woman.
  • Munich airport: Really wonderful service. I bought a belt from them... they were really honest with me and kept insisting I only buy things I love because it's not worth it otherwise. The opposite of high-pressure.
  • San Francisco: Snooty vibe... I definitely felt underdressed and unimportant in that environment. It seems like a place where you need to spend a lot to get good service or loyalty. I saw the SAs treating some customers really well, like family... me? Not so much.
  • Palo Alto: Great service, and not as busy as SF. The clientele is totally different here... honestly, most customers in the store look extremely dressed down. One woman next to me in line wore a worn out sweatshirt, literal sweatpants, beat up tennis sneakers, and had very dissheveled hair... but clearly she was ballin', as she carried a B35, a Clemence wallet, and bought 2 other bags. There's Silicon Valley for you. :smile:
And there go the ramblings of a recent H convert. :biggrin:
Haha loved the last bit about the “ballin” lady from Silicon Valley. Sounds like she looks like me most days..minus the “ballin” part :lol:

Haha loved the last bit about the “ballin” lady from Silicon Valley. Sounds like she looks like me most days..minus the “ballin” part :lol:

Lmao! I’m a typical athleisure-loving Californian but I have to say this woman took it to the extreme. I honestly would have thought she was homeless if not for her accessories. But I appreciate that she’s “beyond” dressing up for just a shopping run. And she got great service from them too so go H.

SF was my home store before I moved; I agree, the first few times I went in there, before I had established a relationship with an SA, I was totally ignored. I feel like the SAs there have so many established clients that it can be really difficult to even get the attention of someone if you don't already know one of them. But now my SA there greets me and my whole family with hugs, handwritten thank yous, etc etc, and we're by no means mega spenders.

I have visited the SCP and BH a few times and have had mixed experiences. I am not one of those who write reviews only based upon negative experiences, in fact I have written reviews for both stores that were positive. However, my visit at the SCP last week was less than pleasant. The friendliest and engaging person was one of the security guards that is always there each time I stop by... the other, not so much.

At any rate, it was quite busy so my son and I waited patiently. Finally the security guard found someone to assist us and she was quite curt and seemed bothered. I asked what color Evelynes they had and her response was “what color are you looking for?” In my mind, I thought, if I knew I would be specific. And no I did not expect her to read my mind but her demeanor was throwing me off a bit. When I did give her a couple of color choices, she had me pick ONE to bring out. While I love the color of what I ended up with, I felt rushed to decide and in the end, it is not what I really wanted. Might I add that when I said I would take it, her demeanor changed instantaneously. In fact she smiled and was more engaging in terms of conversation.

I called yesterday and spoke with Thomas to inquire on other colors. He seemed helpful as others here have mentioned. We shall see what my experience will be this Saturday.

I have visited the SCP and BH a few times and have had mixed experiences. I am not one of those who write reviews only based upon negative experiences, in fact I have written reviews for both stores that were positive. However, my visit at the SCP last week was less than pleasant. The friendliest and engaging person was one of the security guards that is always there each time I stop by... the other, not so much.

At any rate, it was quite busy so my son and I waited patiently. Finally the security guard found someone to assist us and she was quite curt and seemed bothered. I asked what color Evelynes they had and her response was “what color are you looking for?” In my mind, I thought, if I knew I would be specific. And no I did not expect her to read my mind but her demeanor was throwing me off a bit. When I did give her a couple of color choices, she had me pick ONE to bring out. While I love the color of what I ended up with, I felt rushed to decide and in the end, it is not what I really wanted. Might I add that when I said I would take it, her demeanor changed instantaneously. In fact she smiled and was more engaging in terms of conversation.

I called yesterday and spoke with Thomas to inquire on other colors. He seemed helpful as others here have mentioned. We shall see what my experience will be this Saturday.

That's been my experience too (with the stock aloofness), and I've always been a bit turned off by that. It's like, why the 20 questions... just tell me what you have and I'll tell you if I'm interested in it. Especially since H has so many colors, leathers, and seasonal offerings.. sometimes you don't even know what's out there until they tell you.

I have only bought Hermes scarves, no leather goods or handbags, and have only bought them online, mainly secondhand. Of the four Hermes stores I've entered in person, three in the United States and one in Europe, I've had two where SAs were available to answer questions and showed interest in engaging me as a customer. In the other two stores, it was unclear how you go about getting helped or whether there's a sign-up list.

I must admit I'm torn about whether to keep buying scarves. I like the designs and find them really enjoyable to learn about, and that's what has kept me interested. Typically, though, I would like to then experience an in-store purchase for the complete experience and to see current offerings in person. However, I would like the in-store experience to make me feel good as a customer. I have to ask myself why I would intentionally put myself into an uncomfortable shopping situation, when the general idea of accessories shopping is to feel good about oneself and the object and the experience. This is a very interesting thread and underscores to me the commitment and loyalty of many Hermes fans despite less-than-stellar customer service! Or perhaps my expectations are just not in keeping with the Hermes sales tradition at present.