Treatment in Hermes Stores

These people are ridiculous. It's like they think they belong to some exclusive sorority. Hermes needs to do a better job of training their sales people and that's what they are SALES people. Their job is to cater to clients - not mock them or be rude or stuck up. I have not had the pleasure of shopping at Hermes and it's not because I can't afford to but because it's precisely this type of attitude that is a turn off. I have heard too many stories of rude Hermes sales associates. If I'm going to be spending money somewhere I want to be treated kindly and civilly. I want to feel welcome and not judged. Just the other day I had my first bad experience in a lux store. It was my turn to be waited on and a rude snobby couple said it was their turn next when the sa asked who was next. The sa saw me walk in the store and I made eye contact with the couple when they came In the store after me. But what did the sa do? She looked me up and down and then said the couple was next. I was dressed just fine and was carrying a high end bag. I am guessing it's because to her it was more likely the couple would buy rather than me. Rather than make a scene I simply left. I will never visit that store again. She also lost out on a big commission.

Sadly speaking this behavior of being rude is commonplace in many stores including luxury ones.
There are many professional SA's & pleasant ones at that.
You were right not to make a scene but I would also not let that experience deter me from going back into
the store. Just ignore that SA & you should be able to find a SA that would be delighted to help you..

I am curious: what would you consider out of this world customer service?

I was at the store the other day and had picked a twilly. Because of some tax refund document preparation of a tourist I had to wait for <5 minutes, and the SA offered me water, coffee, champagne, all of which I declined.

Well, first of all i like to be greated, which for me and my friends hardly ever happens. Second if i ask a friendly question i expected to be answered in the same manner. Hasn't happened to me yet, as i wrote earlier, i got the shortest answer possible to the question if i could see a certain scarf. The SA's answer was a simple no and then she turn her back on me. No sorry, no explanation. Even if they don't have the item, i at least expect them to say something along the lines of: I am sorry, that's out of stock or something and if i am interested in something else. Basically i expect to be treated with respect. And i expect everyone in the store to be treated the same way. Out of this world would basically be what you described. Being offered something to drink while waiting, for the SA to make me feel welcome and taken care of. For example when i walk into LV i can't even get 3 steps into the store before someone ask's me if i needed help, same with prada and gucci.

Well, first of all i like to be greated, which for me and my friends hardly ever happens. Second if i ask a friendly question i expected to be answered in the same manner. Hasn't happened to me yet, as i wrote earlier, i got the shortest answer possible to the question if i could see a certain scarf. The SA's answer was a simple no and then she turn her back on me. No sorry, no explanation. Even if they don't have the item, i at least expect them to say something along the lines of: I am sorry, that's out of stock or something and if i am interested in something else. Basically i expect to be treated with respect. And i expect everyone in the store to be treated the same way. Out of this world would basically be what you described. Being offered something to drink while waiting, for the SA to make me feel welcome and taken care of. For example when i walk into LV i can't even get 3 steps into the store before someone ask's me if i needed help, same with prada and gucci.
Thank you for elaborating. I agree that the SA really have not lived up to the expectation! While I prefer browsing first prior to being helped by a SA, I understand that others like it differently. And having a SA turn his/her back to you after a one-syllable-answer (or being laughed at!!) is really a huge no-go!
I just remember that I had my worst experience in the Luxembourg store where my SA immediately stopped helping me because a regular (whom she was obviously friends with) had entered the store. I honestly contemplated leaving but I wanted the anemone wallet so badly that she had just started showing me.....

Thank you for elaborating. I agree that the SA really have not lived up to the expectation! While I prefer browsing first prior to being helped by a SA, I understand that others like it differently. And having a SA turn his/her back to you after a one-syllable-answer (or being laughed at!!) is really a huge no-go!
I just remember that I had my worst experience in the Luxembourg store where my SA immediately stopped helping me because a regular (whom she was obviously friends with) had entered the store. I honestly contemplated leaving but I wanted the anemone wallet so badly that she had just started showing me.....

Not a problem at all :smile:. Yeah i am not really a browser when it come to high end, i usually know what i want before entering. And even if i would just want to browse, just the question if i needed help makes me feel more welcome. Though i do understand that just that simple question is unnerving for some people.
And I am a bit stubborn i guess, i would never buy from a store where i am treaded the way you were or i was. But that is a choice everybody has to make for themselves. Did you get the wallet?

Not a problem at all :smile:. Yeah i am not really a browser when it come to high end, i usually know what i want before entering. And even if i would just want to browse, just the question if i needed help makes me feel more welcome. Though i do understand that just that simple question is unnerving for some people.
And I am a bit stubborn i guess, i would never buy from a store where i am treaded the way you were or i was. But that is a choice everybody has to make for themselves. Did you get the wallet?
Yes, I got the wallet but gave it to my sister after a couple weeks´ use. It was full-size, and I prefer smaller ones. I really should have just left, haha!

There are badly trained SAs in all stores. Some stores definitely have more poorly trained SAs (blame upper management I guess.) We just need to give our business to the good SAs! If I have a bad experience though, I won't return to a store readily.

Reactions: pkt
Just a suggestion to those that have had the experience of the short answer "no" in response to direct questions. Do you have X is a very direct question which when answered doesn't leave a lot of room for conversation. Think about the number one H question, do you have any Bs or Ks? Yes or No

I speak from experience working on the floor in stores (not H), if you want to engage the SAs and get them to provide information and service, it needs to be a conversation that can go somewhere. Instead of "do you have X?", how about "I saw this X and loved the shades of pink, style of design, shape of bag etc-do you have that item and anything similar you can show me?" it opens up a completely different style of conversation-in my experience leads to SAs showing more products, showing clients around the store and so on.

I realize language can be a barrier to some conversations and I offer this as a suggestion to those who have found they've been "shut down" when asking for a specific item at H. Ask for information, leave room for them to show you other things and you may find those good SAs who are fun to shop with. I don't doubt there are plenty of cold, rude SAs who aren't interested but I believe in a commission based sales team, they're motivated to cultivate clients but conversation works both ways so leave them an opportunity to tell you what else they have. They may just think that's all you want and say No. H doesn't exactly have the same inventory in every store so they likely say No a lot during the day.

if you want to engage the SAs and get them to provide information and service, it needs to be a conversation that can go somewhere. Instead of "do you have X?", how about "I saw this X and loved the shades of pink, style of design, shape of bag etc-do you have that item and anything similar you can show me?" it opens up a completely different style of conversation-in my experience leads to SAs showing more products, showing clients around the store and so on.

This is some solid advice ^^

it is sad that this happens too often unfortunately.... the city where I live in has H store but I never shop there b/c of this kind of treatment.
I went to H store with DH and saw a wallet I liked and asked SA to show us. DH just asked the price and SA said to him "people who come to this store never ask the price, you either take it or not, there are always people who will buy it"... dear DH just lost it. So from that point on, I found a H store in another city and DH flies me every 3-4 months there for past 3 yrs!!! :lol:

"people who come to this store never ask the price?" That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I don't believe there's an H I've been in where I haven't felt the need/desire to ask that. Asking that is not a sign of inadequacy, it is a sign of intelligence. I'm appalled...

I have witnessed many conversations with flat "no" answers to clients in stores around the world and I must say some occasions there were no other answer would suffice.
Here is one: A friend of mine and I were talking to our SA, another client came over wanted to talk to our SA, despite our SA told her that he was with clients, she insisted she must speak with our SA immediately. The conversation went like this, almost word to word, "do you have any bags?" "No madame, sorry we don't." "Not even croc?" "No madame, not even croc." :rolleyes:
I am by absolutely no means saying all clients experienced rude SAs were also rude themselves. But rude SAs are not only phenomenon in H stores. Many stores, high or low end, have rude SAs. My advice is treat others the same way you would like to be treated, be polite, confident. And if your kindness is met with rudeness, don't give any business to them.

Just a suggestion to those that have had the experience of the short answer "no" in response to direct questions. Do you have X is a very direct question which when answered doesn't leave a lot of room for conversation. Think about the number one H question, do you have any Bs or Ks? Yes or No

I speak from experience working on the floor in stores (not H), if you want to engage the SAs and get them to provide information and service, it needs to be a conversation that can go somewhere. Instead of "do you have X?", how about "I saw this X and loved the shades of pink, style of design, shape of bag etc-do you have that item and anything similar you can show me?" it opens up a completely different style of conversation-in my experience leads to SAs showing more products, showing clients around the store and so on.

I realize language can be a barrier to some conversations and I offer this as a suggestion to those who have found they've been "shut down" when asking for a specific item at H. Ask for information, leave room for them to show you other things and you may find those good SAs who are fun to shop with. I don't doubt there are plenty of cold, rude SAs who aren't interested but I believe in a commission based sales team, they're motivated to cultivate clients but conversation works both ways so leave them an opportunity to tell you what else they have. They may just think that's all you want and say No. H doesn't exactly have the same inventory in every store so they likely say No a lot during the day.

That is probably true in some cases, but I still believe that you can answer that question in a different manner. If i go in there asking if they have a specific belt and i get a one word answer right away in a shop where that belt costs as much as my parents rent.
I went into Prada the same day also for a belt and got a very much different answer: First the guy went looking if they have it and then told me No, i am sorry, we currently do not have that in stock. totally fine with that.
You can tell a person "no" in so many different ways that i don't understand what it is with H, that so many people complain about their SA's.

I have witnessed many conversations with flat "no" answers to clients in stores around the world and I must say some occasions there were no other answer would suffice.
Here is one: A friend of mine and I were talking to our SA, another client came over wanted to talk to our SA, despite our SA told her that he was with clients, she insisted she must speak with our SA immediately. The conversation went like this, almost word to word, "do you have any bags?" "No madame, sorry we don't." "Not even croc?" "No madame, not even croc." :rolleyes:
I am by absolutely no means saying all clients experienced rude SAs were also rude themselves. But rude SAs are not only phenomenon in H stores. Many stores, high or low end, have rude SAs. My advice is treat others the same way you would like to be treated, be polite, confident. And if your kindness is met with rudeness, don't give any business to them.

See this is exactly what i mean, even tough this person would have deserved a one word answer. This SA eventough she denied the client, she did it with respect. If my request would have been met this way (and lets be clear i would never interrupt somebody else) i wouldn't say a thing at all.

Reactions: Oryx816
I can share something about treatment outside an Hermes store:
About 10 days ago I was Christmas shopping in Vienna/Austria with my spouse. And I also wanted to get my orange fix and see if there were any SS17 scarves available. So I checked out the windows and then wanted to enter the store. But the security man just made gestures and did not let me in. Then I noticed an asian looking couple next to the door that seemed to be waiting outside as well (in cold winter weather). Somehow I understand that they want the people who are inside already to have a nice shopping experience. But his behavior was just rude. OK, he might be used to tourists but he did not even try to speak either German or English.
So I queued like the nice girl I am. But then he did not let people in as others left the store and on the other side there was a somewhat elderly lady in a fur coat just cutting the queue and he did not say anything at all. Maybe a super rich regular?
I was furious and disappointed (and still very curious about the new season scarves) and it was quite hard to appear all cool about it towards the man on my side (who does not get the entire orange addiction at all). So we just left, I mastered to make something resembling a smile and asked him where he wants to go next...

Two years into my H journey there still is nothing like having a home store, "my SA" or an H relationship. Whenever I enter a store I am always a bit nervous about the treatment I am going to receive. Well, I enter with more confidence than at the beginning, but the worst is getting bad/aloof treatment when coming with somebody else.
I went to the stores in Munich, Vienna and Austria. The SAs were pretty nice and friendly. I went there just last month. And I scored quite a few items from the stores in Austria. I Guess it's because there were many people around during January? The SAs were really attentive and gave really good service. Maybe it's due to the fact that we were the only few people in the store. I didn't manage to get a k,b but I managed to get many other items in Austria.

I am sorry to hear about this experience. It was completely uncalled for. Interestingly enough the Rodeo Drive boutique is the only one in the world where I had a "funny" experience as well. I had just come from a charity event and was well dressed, yet the older SA wanted nothing to do with offering service of any kind once she realized I no longer lived there. She went as far as trying to convince me that there was a "cow shortage" throughout the world and no leather goods of any kind in the store. I couldn't contain my laughter when she said this! BTW.. I was there to shop for a housewarming and hostess gift, not a coveted bag. Oh well, these things happen! In fairness, it was my only odd experience in a boutique except for the time a customer tried to walk off with my bag at my home boutique. :smile:

Cow shortage?!?!? That made me LOL - you would think that she would be embarrassed to say something like that...I'm sorry, that is both rude and ridiculous.