Traveling to Europe, what bag to bring?

I live in Madrid and honestly women carry designer bags everywhere and no one bats an eyelid - I take my Chanel when I visited different cities - Marbella, Gothenburg, Oslo, Copenhagen, Milan, Barcelona, London, Paris, Hamburg - no one bats an eyelid seriously in any of these. Seriously so many women carry designer bags. Of course if I go to well known pick pocket areas like las ramblas in barcelona I would turn the flap around as a precaution but that's it - you just have to keep your eyes open. I don't think it's unsafe to take a Chanel to Europe.

I live in Paris. There are Chanel bags all over Paris ( of course!). I have never been robbed. Just use your head; you'll be fine. It would be tragic if you can't carry French luxury goods in the country where their made.
I've noticed that when people try to "look poor" it's like a red flag. When in Rome, dress like the Romans do. Avoid gym shoes and you'll be fine. ( those are a big giveaway).

lmao...My friend who lives in Paris told me the same thing! "Don't wear your gym shoes/sneakers to Paris! You'll automatically stick out as an American tourist!". :lol: Of course, I listened :girlsigh:

I usually just bring a WOC type bag, something small, and my large LC Le Pliage bag. Those two usually work the best for me. The last time I was in Paris (I have't been to any of the other places), I found that the locals were a lot more low key and it was all the tourists that carried name brand bags.

Reactions: MrsO
LOL I never knew it was a touristy thing to do to wear sneakers. I only wore sneakers on one trip and was planning to wear them again as they are so comfortable...lol...I guess I shouldn't!!

As for what bag you should carry, I think for day to day things a WOC is enough. My aunt always carries a WOC. However, I think for airport trips you may need something bigger to keep your documents safe. I honestly go to Europe with the Le Pliage either a shoulder bag or a backpack but I still can't really carry the backpack the way it is intended to be carried- I always have it face forward so more like a shoulder bag (no idea why I even got a backpack...lol...).

LOL I never knew it was a touristy thing to do to wear sneakers. I only wore sneakers on one trip and was planning to wear them again as they are so comfortable...lol...I guess I shouldn't!!

As for what bag you should carry, I think for day to day things a WOC is enough. My aunt always carries a WOC. However, I think for airport trips you may need something bigger to keep your documents safe. I honestly go to Europe with the Le Pliage either a shoulder bag or a backpack but I still can't really carry the backpack the way it is intended to be carried- I always have it face forward so more like a shoulder bag (no idea why I even got a backpack...lol...).
Yes gym shoes (not nice, dressy sneakers) and flip flops are touristy :smile:

This helps a lot! Thank you everyone! I'm thinking a small low key LV Damier ebene crossbody for the trip. I think it's a good print that matches everything also. I am too nervous to bring any of my Chanels.
I also bring my lv monogram nm pochette with the long strap crossbody. Im too scared to carry Chanel.

I've seen plenty of local women wearing trendy/stylish sneakers (Nike, Adidas, etc.), as well as lots of Vans and Converse, in Paris (mostly during the daytime, not so much at night). Only tourists seem to wear athletic type of sneakers/gym shoes (think velcro, bright and/or multi-colored, running shoes, etc.). But absolutely no flip-flops (the streets are too dusty for them anyway) or leggings. I wear my leggings on the long flight over and change into skinny jeans in the airport restroom once I land. As for bags, when I was there last year I saw lots of Long Champs and a surprising number of Stella McCartney Falabella bags. Not a ton of LV or Chanel, but some. I don't think the brand of bag you carry makes you a target so much as how you carry yourself and how aware you are of your surrounding. Just be smart and you won't have any issues.

I must agree with FunBagz - the problem is looking like a tourist, not wearing designer bags! I don't know where you are from but in Europe the majority of women wear designer bags, as far as I know at least.

You will always be a target for thieves if you appear to be a tourist. And a tourist wearing expensive things is of course even better for a thief.

Reactions: galuchat
My travel bag of choice is always my LV NM Pochette Accessoires in DE with a cross body strap. It fits everything you'd need for a day out, can be converted into a clutch for evenings and the in the right canvas/leather - it's very subtle. A tip against pickpockets is - hook the zipper of your bag (in this case the pochette) against the hook from the cross body strap. That way, if someone tries to pull the zipper open, you'd feel a tug on the cross body strap.

Hey Vienna,
I'm from Europe/Germany and travel very often to Spain and France. It's true what funbags said, here, in Spain, France, or Belgium it's very popular to wear funny sneaker like new Balance at day. Since a year we have lots of police on the street to make it more safe. Of course on very crowded places like train stations is better to hint bags and watches with high worth, but also bags with low worth are there a risk. In the bigger cities it also very normal to carry bags from famous brands, especially LV and Prada you will see often. Of course Chanel and Hermes less like everywhere :smile: but in the big cities and in their shopping areas they are not unusual. If I go e.g. to Paris, Barcelona I like to wear my Chanel and cross body with the chain strap I think it's safe. In the metro or placees they look not so safe I put the bag cross body under the jacket. So nobody see it on the first view. Okay in Italy I also would be a little bit careful.
So really Europe has not a higher risk than other counties.

I can imagine your excitement Vienna, Europe is stunning, every place your going to has its own charm and beauty.
I've lived in London for a very long time and haven't had any problems carrying my chanel, as long as your careful :smile:
Also, perhaps don't bring any designer bags with you and just treat yourself to a new one instead :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Thank you all so much! This is so helpful! Especially since I'm a little nervous but excited for my first trip to Europe! :smile:
To be a bit excited is great, nervous not necessary. I wish a good trip, enjoy lots of nice places. Let us know during the trip how you feel or post a fantastic action pic :smile::nuts::smile:

Hello,

I loved reading through everyone’s comments. DH and I are heading to Santorini and (it sounds silly now as I type it) I kind of want to bring my blue jumbo for pictures to match the blue-domed architecture.

Having read through the comments though, I am now inclined to just leave it and perhaps bring a YSL WOC.

Has anyone been to Santorini and could share anything about safety and whether or not designer bags are widespread as well?

Thanks in advance!