Traveling to Europe, what bag to bring?

This helps a lot! Thank you everyone! I'm thinking a small low key LV Damier ebene crossbody for the trip. I think it's a good print that matches everything also. I am too nervous to bring any of my Chanels.

Reactions: lindamirella
I would not bring a branded bag like Chanel or LV or Gucci. Even a Kelly is more under the radar than those brands. I have worn a black Kelly all over EU with no problems. I also have a cross body no name black nylon zippered top bag that goes with me on all trips and gets a lot of use.

Reactions: USCGirlie
The pickpockets in Rome got into my Chanel mini with a turnlock and stole my wallet without me even knowing!!!! They are really skilled! This was on the metro (mistake after buying high end goods with shopping bags). Lucky we were on the metro though, so they couldn't run away after a local noticed my BRIGHT RED wallet was thrown on the floor and we knew immediately we got pickpocketed. The locals helped yell something at the thieves in Italian which scared them and they threw the cash onto the floor so we got the money back. They then ran off at the next metro stop. So glad for the help of the locals.
Anyways, other than this incident, I had no issues with carrying my Chanel mini travelling around Europe.
But I know it wasn't the chanel that attracted the pickpockets, it was the luxury shopping bags!
We had thieves, pretending to be police, follow us into our hotel in Rome the previous holiday there, also after buying high end carrying shopping bags.
Good luck!
My suggestion would be to take a cab if you go luxury goods shopping. Other than that, enjoy carrying your bags!

The pickpockets in Rome got into my Chanel mini with a turnlock and stole my wallet without me even knowing!!!! They are really skilled! This was on the metro (mistake after buying high end goods with shopping bags). Lucky we were on the metro though, so they couldn't run away after a local noticed my BRIGHT RED wallet was thrown on the floor and we knew immediately we got pickpocketed. The locals helped yell something at the thieves in Italian which scared them and they threw the cash onto the floor so we got the money back. They then ran off at the next metro stop. So glad for the help of the locals.
Anyways, other than this incident, I had no issues with carrying my Chanel mini travelling around Europe.
But I know it wasn't the chanel that attracted the pickpockets, it was the luxury shopping bags!
We had thieves, pretending to be police, follow us into our hotel in Rome the previous holiday there, also after buying high end carrying shopping bags.
Good luck!
My suggestion would be to take a cab if you go luxury goods shopping. Other than that, enjoy carrying your bags!

Wow! That is really scary! Thank you for the advice! I guess my husband is not so paranoid!

Wow! That is really scary! Thank you for the advice! I guess my husband is not so paranoid!

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to scare you! And it only happened in Rome - no other major city in Italy or rest of Europe. Next time I prob wouldn't buy luxury goods from Rome - go to Florence or Milan instead [emoji12] we were silly to take the metro when holding designer shopping bags (that was the target on our backs!), but tried 15-20mins to find a cab with no luck...

I live and travel all around Europe with all my Chanel bags, no problem. Dare I say, specially in France it is quite "common" and totally safe as long as you watch your bag in any crowded areas.
Enjoy!

ETA, i usually walk around with my minis. If in crowded places such as Champs Elysees in Paris or Oxford Street in London, I would just turn the bag the other way around.

Reactions: USCGirlie
I live in Scotland and have one CHANEL bag for work and another for weekends, evenings. No problems at all. One of the bags is a flap. Carried it in Santorini and Milan last year, again no problems at all.

Hi everyone! I need some advice :smile: I am going to Italy, France, and then London for a month and I don't know what daily bag to bring. My husband has been to Europe a few times already and told me not to bring a daily bag at all! He is worried about pickpocketers and drawing too much attention to us with my Chanels. Now I am nervous to even bring one of my minis! Any advice would be really appreciated.
That's hilararipus! Of course you need a daily handbag for Europe. Not sure which cities you are visiting but all the major European cities have great restaurants and night life and day life - where ladies tend to carry expensive designer bags. No one will bat an eyelid. By the way what part of the world are you traveling from?

Reactions: Kmora
Good luck!
I totally agree about the designer shopping bag. Many years ago in Barcelona, the DH and I were walking down Las Ramblas carry a big bag from Loewe. A man comes up to the side of us and starting speaking to us on English and acting in a very familiar manner. He started asking us the most personal questions! We were polite, but extremely wary, which he noticed and mentioned to us! I never did figure out exactly what was going on, but we managed to discourage him. DH was born and bred in NYC and he is good at that lol! You never know what is going to happen. I have been many places since that time and nothing like that ever happened again.

Reactions: missconvy
Hi, I agree with Ladysarah! European cities have many nice places for drinks and food, and many women wear designer bags in Italy, France and the UK. If you keep common sense like you would do at home, and stay alert, you will be fine! And if you leave your bag at home, you will miss it.

That's hilararipus! Of course you need a daily handbag for Europe. Not sure which cities you are visiting but all the major European cities have great restaurants and night life and day life - where ladies tend to carry expensive designer bags. No one will bat an eyelid. By the way what part of the world are you traveling from?

Hi, I agree with Ladysarah! European cities have many nice places for drinks and food, and many women wear designer bags in Italy, France and the UK. If you keep common sense like you would do at home, and stay alert, you will be fine! And if you leave your bag at home, you will miss it.

I felt totally fine in the UK (including Ireland) and France with a Kelly. Those are the only two countries, out the many that I have been to, where I felt that way. I am used to large cities, but I am also very wary and would prefer to be under the radar rather than not. A WOC always works for evening if one "must" carry a designer bag and is so easy to pack.

I live in Paris. There are Chanel bags all over Paris ( of course!). I have never been robbed. Just use your head; you'll be fine. It would be tragic if you can't carry French luxury goods in the country where their made.

I've noticed that when people try to "look poor" it's like a red flag. When in Rome, dress like the Romans do. Avoid gym shoes and you'll be fine. ( those are a big giveaway).

Hi everyone! I need some advice :smile: I am going to Italy, France, and then London for a month and I don't know what daily bag to bring. My husband has been to Europe a few times already and told me not to bring a daily bag at all! He is worried about pickpocketers and drawing too much attention to us with my Chanels. Now I am nervous to even bring one of my minis! Any advice would be really appreciated.

I leave my big diamond, rolex, diamond studs, everything of value home when I travel. I even had a jeweler in Mykanos tell me "well madam, I can't really tell your taste, because I thnk you are wearing your travel-jewelery, right?" ha ha, so it's a "thing" I like to get out and about freely and not attract attention. In the metro, you attract mild attention (especially if you act confused in the metro, so map your stops in advance) but also around the popular museums and cathedrals are alot of people "waiting" for you. I used a small LV crossbody bag, enough to carry a lipstick, a few euros, a chipped CC WITH A PIN, and my sunnies . I could also stick it under my arm, thus hiding it, in the metro. I made the mistake of taking my Chanel GST onto the metro and got surrounded by 2 gypsy girls who jumped on at the last minute, one of which pretended to drop her baby (thinking I would lose my guard and help the baby). I gave them a dirty look and clutched my bag, and they got off as quickly as they got on. Of course the baby never fell, it's just a ploy. I am sure for every "obvious" gypsy, there are 5 smooth operators watching from a distance.

Just don't bring anything you would be sad to lose.

When I travel, I make sure to bring a bag that has a secure closure, is lightweight, can be handsfree, and can be kept close to the body in crowded areas. If you are going to a large city where there is a concentration of wealth, there will be many designer bags, so I wouldn't worry about being a target. As long as you follow the criteria I and others have just mentioned and keep your wits about you (like you would in any city anywhere), you will be fine and have nothing to worry about. If you are going to a poorer city where designer bags are not as pervasive, I would carry something as plain as possible or something that can be turned around to shield any logos.