Totally worth it-totally not worth it!

I started this thread! My biggest success one here. I had no idea I'd get such a response. I love when people's thoughts have changed and they come back with revised opinions. Without reading my opening post, if I began this thread today, this is what I'd write:

Worth it - sentimental personalized jewelry that was engraved or passed down to me, my rolexes, my WG love bangle, my first e-ring

Not worth it - Michele watches, some of the daintier Tiffany items, trendy jewelry.

On fence - pandora, my Michael kors watch collection although I rationalize cause every single one was purchased at a nice discount!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Can you tell me why the Michele watches are not worth it? I just ordered one today... a current owner's insight may help me decide. Thanks.

Worth it: fine, branded jewelry. One-of-a-kind pieces from lesser-known, not massively available/produced brands (has solid resale value because they rarely pop up on the eBay). White and yellow gold and platinum pieces.

North worth it: jewelry that's too big or too small for as I grow olde. This goes for length of earrings to necklaces (can't stand a 16 inch any longer). Anything that's too noisy or will show wear quickly. Pretty much anything not fine jewelry. Nearly all the silver pieces I've ever purchased, including Tiffany, Ippolita, anything off Etsy. Mass produced stones. Stones that are not semi-precious. Low quality and small diamond earrings. I think I have 5 pairs with inclusions because I didn't know/care about quality. Such a waste.

Reactions: suchi and BBC
Can you tell me why the Michele watches are not worth it? I just ordered one today... a current owner's insight may help me decide. Thanks.

I am not an owner, but probably because they are trendy watches - bought for style, not quality. They are nice-looking, but not a fine watch company. Cartier, Rolex, Patek, Blancpain, VC, JLC, etc are known for their watchmaking craft and keep their value. I would rather get a vintage watch by one of these companies for the price.
If you're buying because you like style, keep it. If you're buying for value and quality, look into vintage/resale.

I am not an owner, but probably because they are trendy watches - bought for style, not quality. They are nice-looking, but not a fine watch company. Cartier, Rolex, Patek, Blancpain, VC, JLC, etc are known for their watchmaking craft and keep their value. I would rather get a vintage watch by one of these companies for the price.
If you're buying because you like style, keep it. If you're buying for value and quality, look into vintage/resale.
What a wonderful reply - thanks so much!

Reactions: BBC
My first post! This thread is a great resource for anyone who loves jewelry or is thinking about making a future jewelry purchase.

Having been an executor of a family member's estate, I know how difficult it is to dispose of personal property, and specifically, to sell jewelry on the resale market or at auction. It was an education to say the least; and it changed my perspective about what I personally own.

Worth it: Certain 'luxury' watches (i.e.: Cartier, Rolex); any luxury designer piece (Van Cleef, Bulgari, Tiffany); 18K gold; large diamonds; antique jewelry.
Not worth it: everything else.

I hate to say it, but when I tried to sell lovely diamond, gemstone, and 14K gold pieces, no one was interested. In many cases, I was left with selling them for their weight in gold, or turning to eBay or other online auction sites and hoping for the best. Tiffany silver pieces have a decent resale value on eBay, but not with liquidators and pawn shops. Watches will never bring close to retail, but certain makers/models maintain their value (Cartier over Concord for example, even though the Concord watch has diamonds & 18K gold, and the Cartier did not.)

Liquidating an estate made me turn a critical eye towards what I have in my jewelry box. I sold or gave away mostly everything. I am now left with a handful of antique and designer pieces that I love and believe will transcend future fads and trends. The best advice I can give is to buy what you love if you see yourself wearing it forever. But if you are motivated by current fads and trends, then buy designer pieces b/c at least you can get some money back when you try to sell it after the trend fades.

Not everyone looks at their jewelry with resale in mind though. I don't buy gemstone jewelry (set in 18k or platinum) with the idea of selling it. I buy it to wear and enjoy. I have gorgeous pieces with emeralds, sapphires and diamonds too. I'm not interested in their resale value. Bags, jewelry, cars etc are things you buy to use, not really investments at the end of the day.

You can use it as a layering piece for stacking. [emoji41]

I think it looks good on you. Adds a little something without being OTT.
I've decided to return it. For the amount I spent, I get near 4 carats elsewhere. I'm going to continue to save and ultimately purchase a 5ct tennis bracelet sometime within the next year.