Today, i did a random act of kindness (the spread little acts of kindness thread)..

I do this regularly actually. It’s been raining cats and dogs and usually I carry an umbrella with me. At the crosswalks while waiting for the green man, I will just hold my umbrella over a female looking miserable because who likes being caught in the rain ( females only because the males always act macho and waterproof). I say hello let’s share this umbrella for a bit, then we walk across together. Usually they look very surprised and wary for a second.

Was stopping on a bench outside Jina bakes with my plants. Dude asked for money, had a huge bag of what I assumed was what he had entirety and a bag of jina bakes.

No cash on me so I asked if he wanted anything from Jina.

He said cappuccino and so I got that plus a pastry I like.

I just think about how blessed I am and wish I could do more. Outside of volunteer/mentorship.

Was at grocery store at first after outing, only had my keys and a few cards, one of which was a debit card.

In line there was a guy who was asking people, if they can buy their groceries because he needed cash to get across the bridge. Whether it’s true or not, I don’t know…

He didn’t ask me, probably because I had headphones in and do a pretty good job of throwing out don’t talk to me vibes.

I tested out my debit card and told myself if they allowed for cash back and I got my pin right (I rarely use cash or debit) I will pull a twenty for him.

It did and it worked and I gave it to him.

I might not have been nice about it, I simply called out “sir” and handed him the bill and left.

But I also figured if he was there, and asking, regardless he’s in a bind. It’s not my place to judge and if the roles were reversed I’d appreciate someone lending me a hand and not making a big deal of it, which is what I meant to do by simply handing it over.

Took 2 tens from the wad of cash (rest mostly ones and fives) and gave it to random dude that’s standing with a sign upside down, expensify.

Was debating hard about whether to buy water and trail mix again but I have no idea and he wasn’t asking. Just standing there defeated.

Reactions: Neugenx and Rouge H
Really lovely thread! RAOK is actually quite an interesting topic for me especially recently.
I'm a fan of T1 LoL, which is an esports gaming team that is quite well known in the esports circle. The fanbase has been historically known to be quite toxic unfortunately.
I'm not sure who started it (could be this T1 fan that was photographed cleaning up someone else's vomit in public transport), but there were suddenly fans advocating to do good deeds to accumulate good karma for the team. People were cleaning up litter, actively donating, volunteering, being nicer on the internet. I personally does volunteering work occasionally so it wasn't hard to jump on the bandwagon. Anyway, up to this point, it's understandably a point of criticism that the fans were doing it with the wrong motive.
But I would like to say that this RAOK is not just for the beneficiaries, but the biggest act of kindness is to themselves. The fanbase have made themselves much better people than they were a year ago.
Fast forward a few months, the T1 team won the international world championship, and the fans are still continuing their acts of kindness. For all of you here who does their RAOK with better intent than us, may you be blessed with good karma and have a merry xmas and happy new year!

Reactions: Miramar168
Really lovely thread! RAOK is actually quite an interesting topic for me especially recently.
I'm a fan of T1 LoL, which is an esports gaming team that is quite well known in the esports circle. The fanbase has been historically known to be quite toxic unfortunately.
I'm not sure who started it (could be this T1 fan that was photographed cleaning up someone else's vomit in public transport), but there were suddenly fans advocating to do good deeds to accumulate good karma for the team. People were cleaning up litter, actively donating, volunteering, being nicer on the internet. I personally does volunteering work occasionally so it wasn't hard to jump on the bandwagon. Anyway, up to this point, it's understandably a point of criticism that the fans were doing it with the wrong motive.
But I would like to say that this RAOK is not just for the beneficiaries, but the biggest act of kindness is to themselves. The fanbase have made themselves much better people than they were a year ago.
Fast forward a few months, the T1 team won the international world championship, and the fans are still continuing their acts of kindness. For all of you here who does their RAOK with better intent than us, may you be blessed with good karma and have a merry xmas and happy new year!

I think kindness with any positive motivation behind it is entirely legitimate and valuable. I don't believe that most humans are as selflessly altruistic as we'd like to pretend; everybody gets something for themselves out of the kindest acts. And that's okay; it's the kindness that matters, and both the givers and receivers benefit.

Reactions: Neugenx